Honda Generators

How does that work in an ice storm? ;-)

Not going to happen. You can take that one to the bank.

Reply to
krw

I've installed many a generator inside a structure. The exhaust is piped outside and a ventilation fan runs off generator power. Of course regular inspections are necessary along with a carbon monoxide detector. The cooling air for the genset can also be ducted to facilitate ventilation. The indoor installations are often much more secure. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Any idea if that impacts efficiency ? An effective muffler usually hurts horsepower per gallon/hr.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

Reminds me of when I was doing some software development on the likes of Symbol industrial PDAs. They had to pass IIRC a test involving multiple drops from at least 1 meter onto concrete. While indirectly working for IBM it was mentioned what hadn't been factored in was the courier driver

3m horizontal toss into the back of the van which managed to break many things regardless of the ruggedisation.
Reply to
David Billington

A properly designed exhaust will help the engine run cooler and quieter, with no loss of power (actually if properly designed and built it can increase power). That said 75% of the small engines out there run "mufflers" that are no where close to effective for noise reduction. They barely keep the engines under the legal noise limits. Honda doesn't seem to do that, they usually have well designed systems that keep them quieter. So does Onan on their generators.

As for quieting down the others an easy way is to simply remove the factory unit and plumb in a turbo style automotive muffler.

Reply to
Steve W.

Mine's out in the shed , which has it's own breaker box with the means to back-feed the house . I just need to pipe the exhaust outside when I fire it up .

Reply to
Snag

With idiot proof interlocks, to prevent back feeding up the main wire, and killing workers?

.

Mine's out in the shed , which has it's own breaker box with the means to back-feed the house . I just need to pipe the exhaust outside when I fire it up .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ice storms cause our week-long outages. Wet clothes dry fine outdoors in cloudy freezing weather, the same way roads and driveways dry out. I haven't used my electric clothes dryer for 30 years.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You can hear their exhaust, which is about as loud as a Honda car's, but not the usual mechanical noise of an air-cooled engine. Directing the exhaust of my genny down a long tube of fiberglass pipe insulation has relatively little effect on the noise level.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Fiberglass wrapped muffler from a small car?

.

You can hear their exhaust, which is about as loud as a Honda car's, but not the usual mechanical noise of an air-cooled engine. Directing the exhaust of my genny down a long tube of fiberglass pipe insulation has relatively little effect on the noise level.

jsw

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Generators shake enough to destroy a rigid connection to a muffler, or maybe pull the studs out of the aluminum heads if you add much weight. I simply pushed the pipe insulation against the exhaust opening to see if a car muffler and flex pipe would be worth buying, and decided not to. AFAICT the exhaust is substantially less than the mechanical noise.

The engine on my lawnmower doesn't shake, so I replaced the rusted-out muffler with stainless flex hose and a larger muffler. Most of its remaining sound is mechanical, the putt-putt is muted. It's a cast-iron B&S from the 1950's and considerably quieter than modern aluminum engines.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I've wondered how real that threat is, when your little generator tries to drive everyone else's furnace, refrigerator motor and electric water heater loads. Maybe there is a spike before the breaker pops. Anyway here the linemen ground the 19.9 KV line before doing anything else.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

With a big enough genset the threat is real . As I showed the guys that repaired my line the last time , when I close the main from the pole my genset dies from the load . The neighbors around here don't shut anything down , and the start load has been known to trip mains in the substations ... Oh , and Chris , seen any salamanders lately ??

Reply to
Snag

Not going to happen. Some places even have zoning laws against lines (others it's "just" have rules). I have a weeks clothing. Two, actually, so power outages aren't a reason to dry outside, forgetting that washing is going to be a problem (and showers are far more important than either). The most I've been without power was three days; 12" of wet sloppy on Oct. 4, when the trees were in full leaf but that's not likely to happen to us again. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Thanks for that info. I have a simlar beastie that needs a new muffler after a major carb overhaul.

Reply to
terryc

Nope. You killed them all with your backfeed.

.

Oh , and Chris , seen any salamanders lately ??

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If a lineman ASSUMES the line he's about to work on is un-powered, AND he's working without rubber gloves and assorted other safety equipment, you might be doing your whole city a favor...

Reply to
HeyBub

I had a noisy 4KW generator. It was very, very noisy. I went to the auto parts place and bought the smallest car muffler. I installed it mounting it to the roll cage with one hanger and fitted some iron pipe to the exhaust output of the engine. The somewhat loose mechanical mounting gave some wiggle room. As to noise, it reduced the noise a whole bunch. When my son 1st heard it he asked what good the muffler was doing. I replied that without the muffler we couldn't carry on a conversation unless we were yelling into each others ears. So, yes it helped.

Reply to
Art Todesco

wrote

This is an individual rights support group:

Save the planet, but Not In My Back Yard! Or your own either, unless you can provide enough for everyone.

I finally figured out a good way to shower without running water.

Replace the wand on a new garden sprayer (no poison) with a kitchen sink spray hose and fill it with water heated on the wood or Coleman stove. The only part that's mildly difficult is replacing the outlet tube with 3/8" plastic or copper tubing and getting the sealing nut and washer to hold air pressure. I used a 1/8" FPT to push-on 3/8" tubing coupler to connect the spray hose to the tubing, but check the fit in the store

Three gallons of water is enough if you are careful, five should be plenty. It's better to have enough 100F ~ 115F water premixed in buckets than a smaller pot of boiling water to mix with cold in the tank, in case you spill it in the tub while refilling the sprayer.

The hose may be a bit short to shower standing. Rubbermaid step stools make good shower seats that put you low enough to reach the spray head lying on the shower floor.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I haved a Casio whose Casio-branded ORIGINAL BATTERIES lasted 20 years and several math classes.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins