Honda Generators

Page 3 of 5
On 05/08/12 04:40, homme de la maison wrote:

Yep, you can et they will take this opportunity to improve the wiring in your pile and those dodgy cheap DIY repairs will be heavily scruitinized.
Priced a Honda generator, and the salesman fired it up inside the store. I have never heard, or didn't hear, a generator as quiet as that one. Silence cost a lo of money.
My Dad had similar experience, in a Honda generator store. Neat demo. I wonder how many of thier sales guys die of monoxide?
Priced a Honda generator, and the salesman fired it up inside the store. I have never heard, or didn't hear, a generator as quiet as that one. Silence cost a lo of money.

I once happened to witness to salesman from two US companies (T-x & H-y) that made calculators, go after the same potential customer. After both did their spiels about all the features of their respective product, the H-y salesman took his calculator and threw it as hard as he could at the ceiling a good 20+ feet up Calculator went up, hit the ceiling, came back down, landed on a bench, bounced off, and landed on a concrete floor As the sales guy picked up his calculator, and started demonstrating how it was still operational, he looked at his competitor and said: "Our products are designed and built by engineers, for engineers who work and rough environments. We don't expect our equipment to be treated this way. But at least, they have a good chance of surviving such abuse.." He then turned to the other sales rep, and said: "How about your calculator ?" The other rep declined lobbing his calculator at the ceiling. Guess who got the sale...

Too bad Honda generators break and are VERY expensive to fix. I went instead with a couple of very cheap second hand Colemans I can maintain with a chainsaw tool, and a noise-reducing folding weather enclosure made from fireproof ceiling tiles, which quiets them enough that they can't be heard from a moving car in the street. We lose power for a week or more after bad ice storms and a 2KW Honda won't start my washing machine; the Coleman 3750 can barely supply the starting current.
The smaller Coleman is light enough to carry through deep snow without shoveling a path, or lift into the back of the car. Those can be important.
jsw

If this happened with any regularity (read: twice), I'd have a permanent installation by the time the power came back on. Sometimes, 0ur power goes out daily but it's usually just long enough to screw up all the clocks and set the 'fridge alarm off. It's rarely more than an hour (even after a storm has taken lines down) and never a week after an ice storm. ;-)

I can run on a solar-charged battery and use the genny only to top up the battery on overcast days or wash laundry. The clothes dryer is solar.
Soon enough we'll have Social Poetic Justice when the carbon tax jacks up the energy bills of those who demanded it, but don't know how to reduce their consumption.

How does that work in an ice storm? ;-)

Not going to happen. You can take that one to the bank.

in cloudy freezing weather, the same way roads and driveways dry out. I haven't used my electric clothes dryer for 30 years.
jsw

Not going to happen. Some places even have zoning laws against lines (others it's "just" have rules). I have a weeks clothing. Two, actually, so power outages aren't a reason to dry outside, forgetting that washing is going to be a problem (and showers are far more important than either). The most I've been without power was three days; 12" of wet sloppy on Oct. 4, when the trees were in full leaf but that's not likely to happen to us again. ;-)

This is an individual rights support group: http://www.laundrylist.org /
Save the planet, but Not In My Back Yard! Or your own either, unless you can provide enough for everyone.

I finally figured out a good way to shower without running water.
Replace the wand on a new garden sprayer (no poison) with a kitchen sink spray hose and fill it with water heated on the wood or Coleman stove. The only part that's mildly difficult is replacing the outlet tube with 3/8" plastic or copper tubing and getting the sealing nut and washer to hold air pressure. I used a 1/8" FPT to push-on 3/8" tubing coupler to connect the spray hose to the tubing, but check the fit in the store
Three gallons of water is enough if you are careful, five should be plenty. It's better to have enough 100F ~ 115F water premixed in buckets than a smaller pot of boiling water to mix with cold in the tank, in case you spill it in the tub while refilling the sprayer.
The hose may be a bit short to shower standing. Rubbermaid step stools make good shower seats that put you low enough to reach the spray head lying on the shower floor.
jsw

Good grief. Instead of all that nonsense just stay in a hotel, say, in Mickey World, for a week.

Does your butler dress you?

In an ice storm or hurricane power outage the nearby hotels that have power are packed with families who need them far more than I do, with the overflow in temporary shelters in schools. Necessities sell out quickly and service/repair people are booked solid for months. Many roads including mine stay blocked until the utility crews remove the wires so the fallen trees can be cut up safely.
The difference from Katrina is that we in New England expect to take care of ourselves and ask FEMA to write checks later. Twice I've spent the week clearing fallen trees with my chainsaw, then patching the holes in the roof before the next storm.

Who said "nearby"?

"We in New England". *laugh*

Are you upset that some people can do what you never learned to?

Hang wash? No, I could never figure that out. (what a moron)
Folks in New England buy Honda generators.
wrote in message In an ice storm or hurricane power outage the nearby hotels that have power are packed with families who need them far more than I do, with the overflow in temporary shelters in schools. Necessities sell out quickly and service/repair people are booked solid for months. Many roads including mine stay blocked until the utility crews remove the wires so the fallen trees can be cut up safely.
The difference from Katrina is that we in New England expect to take care of ourselves and ask FEMA to write checks later. Twice I've spent the week clearing fallen trees with my chainsaw, then patching the holes in the roof before the next storm.
Gunner Asch wrote:

Like Florida. We did fine after the two years of hurricane activity in this area, until FEBLA showed up. Their contractor destroyed our private road with a front end loader. Instead of cutting up and loading the fallen trees, they simply put the bucket down on them and dragged them down the street, and tore out most of the asphalt. We had already cut up the trees onto pieces that would fit a dump truck, but the SOBs were too lazy to do their job properly. They did it right on the public roads, but not in our subdivision.
Does this relate to Honda generators?