Honda Generators

Page 1 of 5
It would have been about year 2000, give or take a year. We had a winter time power cut. A friend of mine had water in the cellar. He could not stay ahead of the water, with buckets. Carpet in the cellar got wet. His brother was out of town, had a generator in the garage, but it would not start. Old gasoline. I gave it a spray of ether in the air intake, and it fired right up, old gas and all. I can't afford a Honda, but I do like them. My Dad had a Honda for a while, and he really liked it.

Mmmm I like the idea of a keeping a bottle of ether around for a standby generator..
I rotate my backup gasoline at least yearly, by dumping it into one of the cars and refilling the storage tank with gas+Stabill. I also use that gas during the year for smal motors like lawn mower and chainsaws, Have about 20 gallons stashed that way.
But I'm looking to convert a generator to propane and just have a bunch of propane tanks as backup Propane doesn't go bad like gasoline.

Storing propane indoor is accident waiting to happen. A leaking propane tank inside a house, garage or a Mormon trailer can blow everything into smithereens.
On 8/2/2012 11:30 AM, Atila Iskander wrote:

Honda's are nice but cost twice that of others. What I really like about them is how quiet they are.
I too, rotate my gas but every two years. Also start the generator and run under load every few months.
Frank wrote:

That second item is something most folks don't do. They don't realize that the engine could run just fine but the generator head may not be working. SOP for our FD is to start the engine on all items at least monthly (if not more often) All get tested under load and some get maximum load tested as well. We made a simple load bank out of 200 & 500 watt quartz lamps with a volt and frequency meter attached.
--
Steve W.

I'm negligent, in the generator operation. The neglected generators tend to be hard to start.
That second item is something most folks don't do. They don't realize that the engine could run just fine but the generator head may not be working. SOP for our FD is to start the engine on all items at least monthly (if not more often) All get tested under load and some get maximum load tested as well. We made a simple load bank out of 200 & 500 watt quartz lamps with a volt and frequency meter attached.
--
Steve W.

On 8/2/2012 10:30 AM, Atila Iskander wrote:

I used to install and service a lot of home backup generators and even converted a few gasoline generators to run on natural gas. The small engine shop in town sold me the conversion kits and the kits worked out very well with the typical portable 5kw contractor generators. ^_^
TDD
I have a Yamaha that never fails. If I have a start problem with any gas engine, I found that a shot of cheap carb cleaner also acts like ether for easy starting. There are gas additives to prolong gasoline life in the tank.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hi, Up here in cold weather every one loves Honda for ease of starting.
On 8/2/2012 10:10 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

As little as I use it, I couldn't justify the Honda either. So I splurged a hundred bucks on the little Chicago 800 watt 2 stroke toy at Harbor Freight.
It has only been used to run a pressure washer and fans while working on the boat. It has never missed a beat though.
Sounds like you got your money out of it. Glad to hear.
As little as I use it, I couldn't justify the Honda either. So I splurged a hundred bucks on the little Chicago 800 watt 2 stroke toy at Harbor Freight.
It has only been used to run a pressure washer and fans while working on the boat. It has never missed a beat though.
On 8/2/2012 9:08 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

LOL! My small shop vac gave all for this job. It was attached to the palm sander to keep the blue fug down (copper based bottom paint - ionic copper!)
100+ degrees temps, and a 300 foot extension cord were listed as contributing causes. I doubt we were getting 90 VAC there.
The shop vac was $30. The pressure washer cost $100. Seemed like it was gonna cost a hundred bucks either way, so now I have a generator (of sorts) to boot.
Might come in handy, for the next power cut. Run the furnace, and some lights.
LOL! My small shop vac gave all for this job. It was attached to the palm sander to keep the blue fug down (copper based bottom paint - ionic copper!)
100+ degrees temps, and a 300 foot extension cord were listed as contributing causes. I doubt we were getting 90 VAC there.
The shop vac was $30. The pressure washer cost $100. Seemed like it was gonna cost a hundred bucks either way, so now I have a generator (of sorts) to boot.

Some little generators are not for electronic equipment. Don't want to fry the controller. I'm in process of looking at voltage and waveforms from mine.
Greg
On 08/02/12 10:42 pm, gregz wrote:

The Honda EUx000i generators are highly rated in that regard. A recent issue of QST (the American Radio Relay League's magazine -- www,arrl,org) tested a handful of small inverter-equipped generators.
Perce

What issue was that? I've recieved QST fer the last year and a half and don't recall any such article.
nb
--
"Do you recognize me? No!
...cuz I don't work here"
On 08/03/12 08:20 am, notbob wrote:

Pages 49ff. of the June 2012 issue. They tested Honda, Yamaha, Generac and Champion models.
Perce

Well I'll be dogged. Their it is! Don't know how I missed it. Probably cuz I'm not a big fan of QST. Too much ARRL propoganda and sales. I'd rather read CQ, which has more hands-on DIY stuff.
nb
--
"Do you recognize me? No!
...cuz I don't work here"
On 08/03/12 11:22 am, notbob wrote:

Ryobi (sold by Home Depot) now has an inverter generator as well, the RYi2000(T) for $599, but the reviews on the HD Web site are a mixed bag: 4 out of 5 overall, but several ratings of only 1.
Perce
Looking at? You can see electricity?