Honda Generaor Maintenance question?

Gents;

I have a Honda ES6500 generator which is/has been serving me very well for many years. Yesterday I was doing routing maintenance and noticed that the oil level was low. Therefore I filled it up to the recommended level or maybe 'slightly' over because there is no simple gauge.

Now, when I start it, it billows white oil laden smoke and there is oil residue in the inside of the exhaust pipe.

This is WAY more than what should be experienced even for an overfill. From any of your experiences, other than draining out some of the oil, is there any other component that I could examine that may alleviate this problem?

I certainly understand gas engines well but not this particular model.

Any help, recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks - B

Reply to
bobmct

Yes, pumping out white smoke is often from oil overfill. Might run the engine an hour, and see if the smoke clears.

The owners manual might say how much oil. You can drain it, and fill to the proper number of ounces. Won't hurt to have brand new oil.

Please be sure to use a good brand of oil. Air cooled engines run hotter than cars, and they do need name brand oil. My fav is Castrol, cause it's the only brand that quieted the piston rod knock on my last truck.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you realy have a hard time knowing the full level start over, empty all oil and add what is stated it needs in Ounces in the manual, then note the dipstick. I would not run it overfull if its putting out that much smoke, it might do more damage than carbon up everything.

Reply to
ransley

On Hondas I think the crankcase breather goes to the air cleaner. If that's the case you may have saturated your air cleaner with oil and that could make it smoke for quite some time.

Reply to
Ulysses