Homeowner's insurance house inspections

Page 3 of 3

Agreed. Leaving guns accessible is foolish. That is why I lock mine up.
Leaving knives and hammers accessible is foolish. They might cut themselves, or hit their sibling on the head like they saw bugs bunny do. I don't see people locking those up. And more kids are hurt by knives and hammers then guns. Maybe we need to stop discussing guns, and talk about how we can protect kids from knives and hammers.
There are many other things in the house that are dangerous. It is impossible to totally protect kids from all dangers, so we do the best we can and exercise reasonable measures to do so.
> kids just don't have the necessary judgment
Define "kids". There comes a point where kids do indeed have the necessary judgment. Until then, it is the responsibility of the gun owner to train them and keep the guns where they can't get to them.

Statistically, swimming pools are 200x as dangerous as guns ;)

amateurish (I have fixed the worst of it), so I was a little concerned there. Their only comment was that I had to have my wood stove chimney cleaned yearly (I told them I didn't.) I replied that I had two fires a year, and it didn't need to be cleaned. That was the last I heard of it.
If you refuse to let them inspect they will certainly cancel your policy. Good luck getting a new one without an inspection.

What about if one is a packrat, has a messy array of boxes, house painting supplies, extra furniture in the living room area, a rubber raft yet to be fixed, tvs to be repaired, tv's on the stairs and the basement landing to be repaired, a box of scrap metal and boxes of scrap wood, a row of wardrobes with camping equipement, the whole house stuffed. Magazines in stacks on the floor, a bicycle in each of three rooms, etc. etc.
Do they refuse insurance for any of these reaasons?

I rent two rooms to students so my basement is full of boxes of books and other junk. I tidied up a bit before the guy came so he could see most of the walls, the pipes and the wires. He didn't seem to mind any of that stuff. I'd keep stuff off the stairs though, that seems like something they wouldn't like.
On Apr 6, 7:58�am, snipped-for-privacy@net.ac wrote:

be concerned with ANYTHING that could be a hazard espically a fire hazard......
nice neat orderly stuff probably OK, looks like a bomb hit? NOT OK
inspection must be reported to the credit bureau equivalent of home inspections.
once found not insurable no one else will take you.......
<snip>

Allstate did a driveby inspection of my house, saw moss on the roof, and cancelled my policy.
There is a bit of a story - I was in the process of buying the house and selected Allstate. Before we closed on the house, they did this. I told them to kiss mine and went with Travellers. Travellers had no problem with the moss, but suggested I remove it to protect the roof (which I did). They sent out a local contractor who walked through the house, measured it, took pictures, and left. No problems. I can't believe Allstate didn't so much as give me the courtesy of a phone call or try to talk to me about it - they flat cancelled the policy. Guess who I will never do business with again?
Anyone have a insurance company they would recommend for home owners insurance? I've never had any claims, but I'm not sure I'm getting the best deal with Travellers.
"Ook" <Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam> wrote in message

I have The Hartford. Never had any inspections in 25 years in this house. In fact, I've never had any inspections in 42 years of home ownership.
On Apr 6, 11:08 am, "Ook" <Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam> wrote:

If you're not in a major metro area, check into your state Farm Bureau. If you can qualify, they're typically at least reasonable price-wise and service/coverage likely to be excellent. Limitations in many locations are still takes sizable property as opposed subdivision, but other areas have relaxed their requirements as state insurance rules have changed to try to allow more competition...

Heh, is that your house? Actually, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that would get you cancelled. People die in houses like you describe. All that combustible stuff and firefighters can't move around to get to the fire, so it would be a total loss. If you were an insurance company, would you risk whatever thousands of dollars for a little premium money?
nancy

little worried but he liked everything, even the old wiring in the basement. They are looking for hazards.
My sister was told last week by her insurance company to get rid of a wood stove that she had never used that was too close to the wall and not up to standand, and neighbours of hers were given one day to install railing on their narrow front steps.
<snip>

I have a wood stove, but it's properly installed and I had the permit from the installation, plus it's fairly new. My insurance company was OK with that.

Home insurance is required in my mortgage and my old company tripled prices so I spent a couple of months trying to find cheaper insurance.
I eventually found a new carrier but I now have a new appreciation of having insurance available.
My point is that you should do what they say and be nice about it. It will increase the value of your property as well as keep them from cancelling your policy.

Just curious, did you verify it wasn't some scam by some local inspector?
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

....or a scam by criminals. Our town notified the residents not allow anyone into their homes from people going door to door pretending to be from the assessors office.

Oh my, that scarey. We have a standing rule for even the police in my house. Unless it CLEARLY looks like an officer at the door (car, uniform, etc) call our Non Emergency number is called first before unlocking the door.
RCN is our cable company here, one day, I heard noises around my house. I went out to see what was happening, and some person was removing parts of my cable hook up on a Sunday afternoon. I confronted the person, and quickly was addressed by three men saying they had permission to do what they were doing, althought no one could explain why they were stripping parts, but they were clear that I would have NO problems if I agreed. I quickly retreated into my house. After several phone calls, it was a sunday, RCN said they find out there was work schedule, but were confused about the timing and information the contractors told me.
So now, call first, then confront later.
tom

Yes, insurance companies are doing this more and more.
I have rental properties. They do an inspection of at least one building a year at renewal time, even my one family houses.
If they don't like something, they will warn you to get it fixed within a certain time period. If you don't, they'll cancel the policy.
I'm curious. Is your place in an urban environment?
Doug