Homeowner's Insurance Claim -- use it to repair roof?

Page 2 of 2

I don't know why he thinks he hasn't gotten a clear answer. I didn't see a single reply that said he couldn't just use the money anyway he wants. Essentially, the insurance company is compensating you for the loss of value you've incurred. Whether you seek to apply it to the specific damage is up to you. The only issue would be if you had damage that is significant enough that it puts the rest of the structure in jeopardy. For example, if a tree fell through your roof and you chose to use the money to go to Vegas, then they would have a right to deny any claims for subsequent damage that was a result of not fixing it.
Add pictures here
✖
On 5/2/2011 1:39 PM, ms960 wrote:

I've had USAA insurance since 1976 and unfortunately, have had many auto and homeowner's claims with them. My experience has been excellent. I have found them to be very customer oriented and to provide excellent claims service.
You did not say explicitly why you feel that your roof is "shot". Is it because of the storm, is it near the end of its normal lifespan, or both. If you feel that the storm significantly damaged your otherwise in-good-condition roof, call USAA back, explain your concerns, and ask them for a second adjuster to come and take a look. Your investment will only be a toll-free call and a few minutes of your time. Chances are that they will agree to your request. However, if the roof is near the end of its normal lifespan, it will probably be considered the same as a 1990 Chevy with $7,000 of collision damages - i.e., you would get a few hundred $ at most, even if you were paying for comprehensive collision coverage with no deductible.
As for using the proceeds of an insurance claim for a purpose other than intended by the insurance company, I'm not a lawyer and won't offer a legal opinion. I would be concerned however that it might violate the terms of your insurance policy and be grounds for USAA to cancel your policy and/or your eligibility for any other insurance products that they sell.
Add pictures here
✖
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Homeowner-s-Insurance-Claim-use-it-to-repair-roof-632743-.htm ms960 wrote:
The roof is shot because it's at the end of it's lifespan. The shingles are just worn out. None of my neighbors have the same insurance company that I do, but they all had their roofs replaced due to the hail storm after filing such a claim. My insurance company is the only one I know of to deny a claim from the same storm. None of the houses in my neighborhood are any older than mine, yet mine is the only one to be denied. Makes me wonder.
I did get some advice elsewhere (not here) that said it is fraud to use the money for anything other than the intended repairs (siding). Most, if not all, the replies here have said that I can use it however I want.
My hesitation comes from using the money intended for siding replacement on the roof, and then later having a siding problem for some reason.
I guess, ultimately, the decision is mine to weigh and figure out how to proceed. I just don't want to run afoul of the insurance company in any way.
Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 3, 10:14 am, mark3431_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (ms960) wrote:

You're going to have to sign something when you get that moeny. Read it.
Add pictures here
✖

Yeah, the back of the check.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 3, 9:14 am, mark3431_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (ms960) wrote:

A 30 year-old roof is probably shot due to age, in addition to any hail damage.
Add pictures here
✖
If the check is large and you have a mortage:( the money goes to the mortage company to assure the property doesnt go down in value.
This involves perodic inspections during repairs, photos of work to prove its been done to code etc etc etc.
a real PIA.
for 500 bucks they may just cut you a check:) but if its a lot of money theres a long list of requirements so you cant just get the check and go to vegas:(
Add pictures here
✖
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Homeowner-s-Insurance-Claim-use-it-to-repair-roof-632743-.htm ms960 wrote: bob haller wrote:

-------------------------------------
Total claim is about $10k. Check was issued for about $7.5k, with the remaining released when the job is complete.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 3, 11:12 am, mark3431_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (ms960) wrote:

Seems to me you had the answer to your question all along. From the initial post, it sounded like the insurance company had paid off the full claim and you had the money. If you don't repair the siding, then you aren't going to get the additional $2.5K.
If you can find someone to do both the siding and roof, they might have some lattitude in how much cost they assign to each.....
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 03 May 2011 15:12:59 +0000, mark3431_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (ms960) wrote:

Then you need to replace the siding.