Homeowner's Insurance Claim -- use it to repair roof?

Page 1 of 2
There was a hailstorm that came through our area last year, and I got around to filing a claim as I suspected that some damage was sustained to our roof. Just about everyone on our street had suffered roof/siding damage as well.
The adjuster came out and found no damage to the roof, but did find damage to the siding, so they paid a claim to have the siding repaired only.
My siding is fine, the damage is cosmetic. The roof is shot and desperately needs replacing. Can I use the claim money paid for the siding to replace the roof instead? What trouble will I get myself into? My insurance company is USAA.
Need help/advice as I'm going to have to figure out how to cough up almost $10k if I have to replace the roof out of pocket.
Thanks!

They won't cover damage to the siding if it occurs in the future unless you can prove that you replaced it after the last claim. Or in the event of a total loss they will deduct the previously paid amount from the total loss value.
If they cut you a check for the damage and you have in your hands you can spend it any way you like. Getting someone to give you a bill for siding when they are really doing a roof would be fraud and both of you can get in a heap of trouble for that.
Colbyt
On 5/2/2011 12:39 PM, ms960 wrote:

Have a trusted roofer come out and assess your roof. Then submit the claim to your insurance company.
Jim

insurance claim. He needs to replace the roof, even if it means a second mortgage on the house to pay for it.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Homeowner-s-Insurance-Claim-use-it-to-repair-roof-632743-.htm ms960 wrote: JimT wrote:

------------------------------------- I had a "storm-chaser" company come out and do an assessment of the roof. They then met with the insurance adjuster. After which, the adjuster denied there was hail damage anywhere to the house.
I then hired a respected company come out and perform their own assessment, along with photos, estimates, and sketch-ups. The insurance company hired a structural engineer to meet with this second company. The structural engineer found hail damage to the siding, but not the roof. The insurance company paid the claim for the siding to be repaired, but obviously nothing for the roof.
I really could care less about my siding. As I said, it's mostly cosmetic, and my house has a brick front, so it's not very visible. The roof, on the other hand, from everyone's assessments, is shot. It's a 30- yr old roof and desperately in need of replacement, but without any help from the insurance company, it's going to be expensive.
So that's the impetus for my first question -- can I use the money from the insurance company that was for the siding instead for the roof? I've heard from a lot of people, here included, and there doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer either way. Thanks again!
On 5/3/2011 6:49 AM, ms960 wrote:

http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Homeowner-s-Insurance-Claim-use-it-to-repair-roof-632743-.htm
I'd just ask my agent, but if the check is made out to you........
jim
On May 2, 12:39pm, mark3431_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (ms960) wrote:

If there was hail damage you should be able to photograph it, get a roofer out to look it over because maybe the insurance co adjuster missed it. Did you get siding bids as well to see if he offered enough? How about gutters and cracked glass. You can use the money for whatever you want. Get a few contractors out to look it over
On May 2, 1:39pm, mark3431_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (ms960) wrote:

Hail can not damage roof, but it can dent flashing. I don't see why you can't use money as needed.
On 5/2/11 3:32 PM, zek wrote:

What ?? Go to Google Images, search "hail damaged roof", you will see thousands of pics of roof damage. (Especially slate roofs, they look like they have bullet holes in them !)

American mid-west and south (and actually MOST of North America.
In (ms960) wrote:

Really? I had my roof replaced 19 years ago because of hail. Please don't tell Liberty Mutual than, Mkay?
ms960 wrote:

You may use the money to repair your roof, fix the siding, or have wild week-end in Vegas. The money is yours to do with as you see fit.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Homeowner-s-Insurance-Claim-use-it-to-repair-roof-632743-.htm ms960 wrote: A little more details, for those who asked:
I had a "storm-chaser" company come out and do an assessment of the roof, and claimed there was all kinds of hail damage to the roof. They then met with the insurance adjuster. After which, the adjuster denied there was hail damage anywhere to the house and flat out denied my claim.
I then hired a respected company come out and perform their own assessment, along with photos, estimates, and sketch-ups. I pressed the issue with the insurance company, so they hired a structural engineer to do a reassessment. The structural engineer meet with this second company and found hail damage to the siding, but not the roof. The insurance company paid the claim for the siding to be repaired, but obviously nothing for the roof.
I really could care less about my siding. As I said, it's mostly cosmetic, and my house has a brick front, so it's not very visible. The roof, on the other hand, from everyone's assessments, is shot. It's a 30- yr old roof and desperately in need of replacement, but without any help from the insurance company, it's going to be expensive.
So that's the impetus for my first question -- can I use the money from the insurance company that was for the siding instead for the roof? I've heard from a lot of people, here included, and there doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer either way.
Thanks again!
ms960 wrote:

Yes.

I agree. I think you can use the money anyway you like. It's not fraud unless you have another storm and try to claim the siding got damaged again. That's fraud.
Peple do the same thing with car insurance all the time. You can decide not to fix your car if you think you can live with the damage.
mark3431_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (ms960) wrote in

As has been said here before, the money is yours now to be used as you see fit. For the next claim on damage to your home, the insurance company will look at what you did with the proceeds of this claim.
If your car gets rear-ended, and the insurance company pays for the damage to the rear end of the car, you can use the money to buy a new motorcycle. But if you get another accident with the car, say a sidewswipe, the insurance company will see what you did with the previous claim, and it will be a corrupt or stupid adjuster who says that the sideswipe caused the damage to the rear of the car.
I think the insurance company is saying that you have a roof that's at the end of its life. Normal maintenance requires replacement. There is no hail damage of any consequence since the roof was shot before the hail. Unless you make new dormers or otherwise remodel (when the new roof would be an "improvement", taxwise), the new roof is an out of pocket expense.
--
Best regards
Han

for the authourized repairs unless they give you a "cash settlement".
In the case of a car, the car is not insurable untill the repairs are done (third party liability, possibly, but collision or comprehensive, no way) A car that gets "paid out" is generally branded as a "total" and requires an extensive inspection to put it back on the road and have it insured.
You COULD be opening yourself up to charges having the insurance company pay for one thing while getting another - consult with a legal professional or insurance professional in your state.

Personally I have gone the opposite route. Damage (self-inflicted) on the car went unrepaired and a new insurnce company now knows the condition of the car. No money changed hands at any point. But I think your comments were directed more at the OP.
--
Best regards
Han
ms960 wrote:

You got a check? Use it anyway you want...take a trip to Tahiti (Quinn's is gone), do roof, whatever.
--

dadiOH