Homemade leaf collector

Page 3 of 3
HeyBub wrote:

Close-up pictures of the impeller are here:
http://woodgears.ca/misc/leaf_vacuum.html
==========There's an impeller made from six half-inch nylon blades bolted to an aluminium hub. The blades are bolted from the back using three 2" long 1/4" bolts threaded straight into the nylon.
The vanes have a profile milled into them to make them lighter. Michael cut that profile with his CNC mill.
The original sides of the blower were made from aluminium soffit material. But with the occasional pine cone, pebble, or walnut in the mix, that became quite dented.
Before starting the leaves this year, Michael replaced the sides with 18-gauge galvanized steel. That should be able to take much more abuse than the aluminium.
Michael used a Bill Penz blower design to base his blower on.
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/blower.cfm#BuildingInstructions
http://woodgears.ca/misc/penz_blower.png
I asked Bill Penz for permission to use this image. Bill Penz added:
"Please warn then that if they don’t use a material handling impeller (meaning plastic or aluminum) or if they hit a branch or rock they could get seriously hurt. I’d also recommend making the blower with a double wall."
With the engine running at 3500 RPM, the tips of the fan blades travel at about 65 meters per second, or about 234km/h (146 MPH). That's fast, but not bullet fast, so a reasonably sturdy enclosure should be able to contain a catastrophic impeller failure.
Michael Grant does custom electronic designs: NoMi Designs and other stuff: Krazatchu Design Systems ==============
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/19/2011 5:59 AM, HeyBub wrote:

With many acres of woods surrounding my house I still have never had the need to vacuum leaves, just mow/mulch them. They are good for the soil and the trees. Nature intended for the leaves to lay under the trees, why move them?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/19/2011 12:15 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:

In principle I agree with you, but I still have to go to work, and I don't want the neighbors to torch my place while I am gone. I don't get anal about it like they do, but I relocate most of the leaves, if weather and first snowfall permit. Thankfully, I have a tree line in back to dump them in, so I don't have to mess with bagging/burning/hauling.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
βœ–

But why not 'mulch in place'? Faster, easier and good for the lawn.
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 10/19/2011 10:36 PM, aemeijers wrote:

You must have nasty uptight neighbors. They can't see the woods for the trees.
Add pictures here
βœ–