Homemade Carbon Cleaner For Stove Tops?

According to the CRC Handbook, Carbon is slightly soluable in molten iron.

Nothing else.

Reply to
HeyBub

Can I make something that will do what this product claims it will do with materials found around the house or easily obtainable?

I need to clean the black burner trays on my gas stove as well as a silver tray from a toaster oven that is totally black at this point.

Thanks & Happy Holidays

Reply to
DerbyDad03

While I don't know if some household chemicals will work as well, the ingredients of Sokoff don't seem to be household chemicals:

CHEMICAL NAME CAS NO. % WT Methylene Chloride 75-09-2 60-65 Isopropyl Alcohol 67-63-0 15 Triethanolamine 102-71-6 1-3 Sodium Dodecyl Benzene Sulphonate 25155-50-9 3-6 Potassium Dichromate 7778-50-9 < 0.5

Reply to
M Q

I&#39;m not sure what your point is. Are you saying that the Sokoff product won&#39;t work?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Oh pshaw, on Sun 23 Dec 2007 09:06:02p, DerbyDad03 meant to say...

I think he&#39;s saying he doesn&#39;t want to pay for Sokoff.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Take a look at this.

Ashton Crusher

Thanks for the suggestion, but I&#39;m looking to make my own. It ain&#39;t a money thing...I&#39;m just looking for something to do while I&#39;m holiday vacation.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I&#39;m saying you cannot (easily) dissolve Carbon in any concoction of chemicals. Removal must be mechanical.

Reply to
HeyBub

You could try putting the items in a plastic garbage bag with a couple cups of pure household ammonia. Leave overnight, then scrub. The other thing to try is a spray oven cleaner (lye based). If you really want to clean something, fill a half a 55 gallon drum with water, add a bunch of lye, and bring to a boil. Pretty much clean anything with that, but of course it is somewhat dangerous to monkey around with 20 gallons of boiling lye water. (we used to peel the wax off of steel animal traps that way).

Reply to
marson

Off hand, look like ingredients for paint remover. I would be careful with it and only use outside the house wearing rubber gloves and eye protection.

Reply to
Frank

If I understand the product correctly, it doesn&#39;t dissolve the carbon pre se. It breaks down the bond between the metal and carbon/grease so it can be rinsed away. Based on the widespread availability of the product on the web, I&#39;m assuming it works.

I&#39;m gonna try a plastic bag of ammonia and see what happens.

Happy Holidays!

Reply to
DerbyDad03