Homemade Carbon Cleaner For Stove Tops?

Can I make something that will do what this product claims it will do with materials found around the house or easily obtainable?
http://www.instawares.com/sokoff-carbon-cleaner-pint.143-1092.0.7.htm
I need to clean the black burner trays on my gas stove as well as a silver tray from a toaster oven that is totally black at this point.
Thanks & Happy Holidays
DerbyDad03 wrote:

According to the CRC Handbook, Carbon is slightly soluable in molten iron.
Nothing else.

I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying that the Sokoff product won't work?
Oh pshaw, on Sun 23 Dec 2007 09:06:02p, DerbyDad03 meant to say...

I think he's saying he doesn't want to pay for Sokoff.
--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, December 23rd,2007
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm saying you cannot (easily) dissolve Carbon in any concoction of chemicals. Removal must be mechanical.

You could try putting the items in a plastic garbage bag with a couple cups of pure household ammonia. Leave overnight, then scrub. The other thing to try is a spray oven cleaner (lye based). If you really want to clean something, fill a half a 55 gallon drum with water, add a bunch of lye, and bring to a boil. Pretty much clean anything with that, but of course it is somewhat dangerous to monkey around with 20 gallons of boiling lye water. (we used to peel the wax off of steel animal traps that way).

If I understand the product correctly, it doesn't dissolve the carbon pre se. It breaks down the bond between the metal and carbon/grease so it can be rinsed away. Based on the widespread availability of the product on the web, I'm assuming it works.
I'm gonna try a plastic bag of ammonia and see what happens.
Happy Holidays!
DerbyDad03 wrote:

While I don't know if some household chemicals will work as well, the ingredients of Sokoff don't seem to be household chemicals:
http://www.waljanproducts.com/msds/MSDSSokoff.htm
CHEMICAL NAME CAS NO. % WT Methylene Chloride 75-09-2 60-65 Isopropyl Alcohol 67-63-0 15 Triethanolamine 102-71-6 1-3 Sodium Dodecyl Benzene Sulphonate 25155-50-9 3-6 Potassium Dichromate 7778-50-9 < 0.5
M Q wrote:

with it and only use outside the house wearing rubber gloves and eye protection.
On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 09:15:54 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Take a look at this.
http://www.orisonmarketing.com/cleaners/piston/carbon.html

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm looking to make my own. It ain't a money thing...I'm just looking for something to do while I'm holiday vacation.