Homelite 08011C leaf blower trouble

Been wanting to do away with my corded blower and couldn't resist the $5 wanted for the Homelite I acquired today. Didn't expect much when I got it home as it didn't start. The fuel lines to the carb were brittle and fell apart when I touched them, so replaced the lines first. The primer bulb was also missing, so I sprayed a little gas into the carb and it started up. After a little fussing with the two small screws on the carb and making adjustments, after many starts and stalls, I was able to use the unit for 30 minutes to force some leaves into a pile. Then, however, once the unit was stopped and sat for an hour, it was a hard start and I gave up finally as it didn't want to stay running for long the second time. I did take the carb off before I got too far and sprayed carb cleaner into the various holes. The gaskets look good. So, as I'm going to get a new primer bulb this week anyway since it's missing the original, I'm wondering if it missing is the reason I'm having trouble starting and keeping it running once started. Any ideas? thanks.
On 6/7/2014 7:22 PM, jason wrote:

the small carbs are iffy when you put a kit in them, the most common way to repair this kind of problem now days is to just replace the carburetor, fuel lines, and fuel filter. Try to use 100% gasoline with your oil mix, ethanol is not your friend when it comes to small engines. a new carb ... directly from China free shipping.. 15.98, I see one for 12.50 with free shipping what a deal. make sure you get the right one. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=homelite+08011c+carb&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1 The big picture... china can make the parts and fly them here cheaper much cheaper than we can pay someone here to do it. Interesting times they are.
On 06/08/2014 10:16 AM, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:

Interesting and would be a no brainer replacement, at least the cheapest way to go, but I can't seem to match up the part numbers I have for the carb with any on eBay. Here's the numbers I have:
Carb (c1uh37) zama
Genuine OEM Part - Manufacturer #UP00652
If you or anyone could assist, would appreciate. Thanks.
On 6/8/2014 2:25 PM, jason wrote:
Plan B If you think it's worth it you can try putting a kit in the old carburetor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
x0iaBWsZo
On Monday, June 9, 2014 6:31:41 AM UTC-4, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:

Not to totally rain on the parade, but without doing some basic testing, eg compression, does it make sense to be going at least $20+, plus one's time into trying to fix an old leaf blower that you have no idea about? You can buy a brand new one for $100 and can find working used ones at a garage sale for $20.