Homebuilt Smoker ?

I have an old gas grill witting around and was wondering if there is a way to make a small smoker out of it ? Or has anyone built a smoker inexpesively ? I would like to be able to smoke some Jerky, chicken or a roast . Nothing big just enough for a family of 4. Thanks, Iowa883

There is a guy that I went to school with that lives in Allerton IA. He does smoking as a business. He is listed in the phone book. He would be the one to ask.
I would think that as long as you can load enough smoking material for the food you would be ok. Opening and closing the lid would not be what you wanted to do

This is Turtle
Here is a nice one I seen a time back when looking for a new smoker.
http://www.mikesell.net/smoker /
Esay to make smoker and in my opinion it would be the killer.
TURTLE
On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 16:28:39 -0500, "TURTLE"

I heard of a guy who built one out of an old refrigerator Sounds do able as long as you keep out of the reach of children when not in use!

This is turtle.
If you use the refrigerator with magnet type holding the door close, it will not be too much of a problem with kids but still keep them lock or put up. The refrigerator killers is the ones with the handle latch pin on it and can not be opened from the inside.
Also some of the best smokers were made out of 6 foot Wall lockers from high schools. then have you a small pitt to let smoke enter the locker at the bottom and the smoke would come out of the louvers at the top.
TURTLE

There are thing that can be done. Ask on alt.food.barbecue and you';;get better opinions and ideas. I do some smoking on my grill using wood chips, but I also have a dedicated smoker and I also do cold smoking in it. You can see it on my web page.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/