Home Work Bench

Reply to
nospambob

I would like to purchase a workbench for my garage. I have a 6 foot space that I will use. I would love to have something with some drawer space as well as shelves. I know there are some great modular ones out there but can't seem to find anything I like. The work bench would hopefuly be 6 foot in length and maybe behind it install a backboard where I can hang tools and bins

Any suggestions?

Thanks......................

Reply to
Ed Hayes

Downloadable plans of various kinds at

used the six foot workbench plans from an old 1950's Good Houskeeping home improvement project book; it is very robust, and it has served well for forty years. Building from plans is easy, lumber yards will precut frame pieces to size for easy assembly, and you get the self satisfaction as well as the perfect fit and functions you wish. Also, check out Google (Images) and enter the word workbench. It is a good idea source (48k hits).

Reply to
Roger Taylor

Build it yourself and gain satisfaction as well as getting what you want:-))

Reply to
Lou

"Roger Taylor" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Wood Magazine just had some plans for simple workbenches.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 02 Aug 2005 03:16:43 GMT "Edwin Pawlowski" posted:

Maybe I should have looked harder, but I bought a new door. An outside door of course, the inside doors are hollow. Because I'm only

5'8", it's a tiny bit harder than I would like to lean over the bench to turn the light off, at least if the band saw is in the way. I should have put the switch by the door anyhow, I think.

Somewhere I had found some steel legs. I use those at the ends and have an old dresser in the middle, with 2 or 3 pieces of 2x4 stacked up to support the bench in the middle. Storage in the drawers, in front of the 2x4s and behind them. And behind the dresser for things rarely used.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Why do you want a workbench? to tinker and fix things? Why not build one that you like and have it the way you want it? The only people I know that buy, rather than build have little alligators on their shirts and tools hat have never been used. If you want to fit that image, load up the Volvo and head to the store.

OTOH, if you are a guy with a real scrotum, real tools, and not afraid to use them, Buy a few 2 x 4's, sheet of 3/4" plywood, and get some use from the tools you want to hang. You may also want to see if they have any damaged flush doors for sale cheap. They can make good bench top.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

God, you must have a photograph of me. I do have lots of shirts with alligators on them, and I own 2 Volvo's (mine and my wife's). I also own a classic 30 y/o Mercedes SL, but that's just for fun. I don't use my tools often but I do in fact use them. The last time I looked (today in the shower) I do in fact have a scrotum and I am confident there are 2 testicles in that scrotum. (my wife might know the answer to that question better then I do) So, I will, using my God given testosterone (providing I do have testicles), take out the shiny tools that don't get enough use, drive my S60 AWD Volvo down to the lumber yard and pick up the wood, screws and other stuff I need, and build myself a workbench.

Thanks for good advice.

One last question --- Should I use 4x4's for the legs or will 2x4's be just as good. (Two 2x4's for each leg at 90 degrees)

Ed

Reply to
Ed Hayes