home wiring

I'm wiring some extra outlets and another set of lights into an already existing circuit in my bathroom Previous wiring went from a light swith on to other lights/outlets in other rooms. My issue is that there will be so many connections in the swith box that I don't think they'll all fit. It will be a 3 gang switch box with 3 more lines (besides what the swithes go to) going from it. If I put in a juntion box, can it be covered with sheetrock? Right now I have a section of wall open, but I don't want to have a junction box visible on the wall. Attic is accessible, but not easy. This wiring is a long, long way from the attic opening. Wiring is 14 and 12 gauge. Thanks. Barb

junction boxes must be accessible
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/h00134.asp
you might want to consider professional help.
Thank You for your reply.

no.
Thank you for the reply.

sounds like a great spot for a wall sconce or a receptacle ;-)
Barb, you didn't give a wire count or the actual dimensions of the box so it is difficult to guess exactly what is permitted.
I have been in similar situations and have an easy solution. Install a 4 gang box.(Or a 5 gang) that will give you the additional cubic inches that you need (See table 314.16(A) in the National Electrical Code. When you are finished and have only 3 switches, buy a four gang wall plate that has 3 toggle openings and one blank. Or you can get a 4 gang toggle wall plate and get a blank filler for the fourth gang. You will probably need to go to an electrical supply house for this as I don't think many hardware stores carry this set up.
A junction box must be accessible without damaging the wall. You could have a recessed junction box be accessible from the other side of the wall if it happens to be a closet or a room where it doesn't matter.

mhsmom wrote:

You think you can daisy-chain them as opposed to star formation?
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
mhsmom wrote:

Barb Since your wall is open you can install a 4&11/16" square by 2&1/8 inch deep box with a plaster ring that will give the same surface opening as a 3 X 2 inch device box. Since that deep "11B" box can hold something like 21 #14 AWG conductors I would think that might do it. Tell us how many wires of what size that the box must contain and we can be of more help. Each yoke or strap that supports a device such as a switch or receptacle counts as two of the largest wire that terminates on that device. All of the equipment grounding conductors count as only one wire. Internal clamps count as one wire. #14s need two cubic inches of space each and number 12s need 2.25 cu inches each. A deep 4&11/16" square box has about 43" cubed of internal space. -- Tom Horne
"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
mhsmom wrote:

http://www.electrical-supply.net/product.asp_Q_parentID_E_5_A_subCatID_E_85_A_prodID_E_147 is the box. http://www.electrical-supply.net/product.asp_Q_parentID_E_5_A_subCatID_E_85_A_prodID_E_142 is the plaster ring that protrudes through the sheet rock for you to mount your device in. The boxes are available with mounting brackets. -- Tom Horne
"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison