Home termite remedy?

If you see them and holes you have it bad , oh, why not get a pro, It could be worse than you know. I used spectricide bait sticks ,it is a long term treatment to kill them 6 months, you need spray inside now . Ive never done spray but I would guess drill up from the crawlspace to the nest. But you would not want to get it on yourself so a pro would be best.

Reply to
m Ransley

try alt.consumers.pest-control

Reply to
m Ransley

I got rid of carpenter ants that I could hear chewing up inside my walls:

Go to Home Depot, buy as many syringes of the ant/termite bate that contains FIPRONIL, I think its 0.01% as a gel. They are individual packs containing about 1 ounce I think.

Drill small holes in the floor, or if not take up the boards. Anayway, I drilled an array of holes in my walland injected 20 of these loads into the wall where I could hear them. The sound went away after about

3-4 days and they were all gone in a couple of weeks. There was never any sign of wood dust ever again, and our house passed inspection last winter before we sold it. I filled up the holes, sanded them and painted them, no-one will ever know what happened:)

Good luck,

Dean

(ps might want to look online for something in larger buckets than these single syring packs.

Reply to
deanbrown3d

I don't have/nor ever had termites, but had a small encounter with carpenter ants, and still battling carpenter bees. IMHO, to prevent problems is a DIY approach, sparys, baits, powers stuff a home owner can use. Problem is that you are past the 'prevent' stage. I wouldn't delay and get a professional to evaluate the situtation and treat it. I was all freaky about carpenter ants in my house(found out fire isn't a viable solution), and they aren't at all as damaging as termites.

Wish you luck with your battle!

later,

tom @

The Real Tom

Just saw one of the little boogers push his poop up a pin hole thru the hardwood floor.

I would really appreciate some advise on how to track them down and get rid of them. In particular....

1 - This was in ground floor, raised foundation. Should I crawl underneath and inspect or is it more likely they are in between the hardwood floor and the 2x8's? I got to looking at the floor and saw that all the holes are within 4-5 feet of the sliding door. Wouldn't be surprised if there has been a leak around that door before I moved here.

2 - What is good to use these days? I have sprayed outside for termites years ago with Terminex (not sure that's the name), but anyway the stuff is no longer available. Probably was some kind of pyrethrin.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Fred

alt.building.construction; alt.building.contractors; alt.home.lawn.garden; alt.home.repair; misc.rural

Reply to
Fred

One word.....Termidor. A controlled substance for pro use only, but available on Ebay. 78 ounces does 100 gallons of mix. Kill record is 100% in

3 months after application. Spreads like a virus in the colony through contact with treated soil and grooming. Kills slowly to allow spreading time. 2 gallons per foot outside foundation, 2 gallons inside, 1 gallon behind brick veneer, per linear foot. Google for Termidor by BASF.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... :) One word.....Termidor. A controlled substance for pro use only, but :) available on Ebay. 78 ounces does 100 gallons of mix. Kill record is 100% in :) 3 months after application. Spreads like a virus in the colony through :) contact with treated soil and grooming. Kills slowly to allow spreading :) time. 2 gallons per foot outside foundation, 2 gallons inside, 1 gallon :) behind brick veneer, per linear foot. Google for Termidor by BASF. :) :) You are describing treatment for subterranean termites, the poster description sounds more like drywoods...also you mention Termidor is for pro use only, there might be a reason for this...the recomendation you are giving is about 16 gallons too much per 10 linear feet. If you have applied this rate at your own house, you may want to look into an environmental clean up.

Reply to
Lar

If you care to be patient, Timbor might work. You can buy the powder or make your own [40% Boric Acid/ 60% Boraxo/mix with hot water IIRC] You need to spray the area where activity is seen. And keep watching and spraying. Here, in Hawaii, this method is gaining popularity. Especially if there is clear access to the beams. Again, no immediate gratification as in tenting but it does seem to work.

Google Timbor or Boracare [made with antifreeze] for more information.

Reply to
John Keiser

Thanks MR!!

Reply to
Fred

Thanks, Dean!

inside my

bate that

individual

boards. Anayway,

these loads

after about

There was never

inspection last

them and

buckets than

Reply to
Fred

Thanks, RJ! I'm pretty knowledgeable about pesticides - they can be pretty nasty if you get them on you or breath them, etc.

What I'm wondering is, after you use the Termidor or other stuff for termites, then clean up good, air out, etc... will the chemicals seep out of the wood later? Or do they disintegrate into "safe" compounds?

only, but

record is 100% in

colony through

allow spreading

inside, 1 gallon

by BASF.

pin

them

are

within

here.

outside

the

Probably

Reply to
Fred

Thanks John. Funny you mention this one. I noticed at Home Depot, they had 3 types of products - 2 were pyrethrin substitutes and the other was a boric oxide hydrate (B3O8-xH2O or something like that.), and I have a bottl eo boric acid that says it's for ants. I don't mind waiting for this kind of stuff to work, as long as it does eventually do the job --especially since I know that boric acid is one of the safer pesticides.

Thanks again. (To all - I really appreciate all the great advice!)

Fred

the powder or

water IIRC] You need

watching and spraying.

Especially if there is

gratification as in

information.

Reply to
Fred

The "secret" is mixing Boric Acid with the Boraxo. Boric Acid alone is not nearly as effective as the 40/60 combo. Even more effective is the version mixed with antifreeze. But observe precautions if you use antifreeze as it will kill pets and plants.

Good luck.

Reply to
John Keiser

NO NO NO!

You don't want to use anything that will send the termites elsewhere! You need them to take the chemical to the nest and feed it to the queen. Once you apply borax or anything like that where you can see them, they will not go back there and you will miss you opportunity to get the little buggers. I leared the hard way there, I boraxed one place from the outside, and then they never ate any of my bate.

I think the brand name was Combat, but I can't be sure. Anyway the drug name is Fipronil.

Dean

Reply to
deanbrown3d

  1. If they are drywood termites (sounds like), call an exterminator that tents/gases houses.
  2. If they are subterranean termites, call an exterminator that drills/injects poison.
  3. Do nothing and wait until your house falls down.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Being in Hawaii myself and having spot treated with Term-Out for years, question(s):

- is this safe around pets (cats to be exact)

- is it safe to spray upwards (crawlspace under the house, attic) (the MSDS looks it it ought to be - Termout isn't so nice to get on oneself)

Mahalo,

Maren (reading this in misc.rural)

Reply to
Maren Purves

Please be careful as to not poison your house too much. Try calling for a few free estimates from exterminators, that may give you a better idea for what you are up against, and if it's practical for you to do it yourself.

Reply to
Steveo

eo

waiting

boric

great

Try calling

you a

practical for

Thanks. So far, I called 2 exterminators, and both will only come out and do an inspection on the condition that, if they find termites, we agree to let them do the work and bill my insurance company. I would never agree to such terms as these.

Reply to
Fred

I don't blame you, that sounds like a raw deal. Did they offer to 'inspect only' for a fee?

Reply to
Steveo

Yeah, it amazes me that someone with termites already popping up in their house would be looking for advice on how to try to try a DIY job. Termites are serious business and the most effective chemicals and application tools are not available to homeowners. When I spotted termites, I called in pros. It cost me about $600, but I also have a yearly contract now, which for about $50 provides for yearly inspection and free re-treatment if they should recur. IMO, money well spent.

Reply to
trader4