Home Surveillance

I am searching for a basic home surveillance system but have no idea what are good systems and what are not. I am wanting a wireless system with just your basic cameras which can either be used with a TV, VCR or PC. I'm not sure exactly what I need to look for but some cool features such as being able to call or connect (with PC) from another location to view the house is cool, though not crucial. I have a small bungalow, therefore, an elaborate system isn't necessary.
Anyone with knowledge of CCTV or surveillance equipment willing to provide info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Try alt.home.automation, www.x10.com, or www.smarthome.com.

One thing to keep in mind with wireless surveillance cameras is that you may not be the only one who is able to watch your house. The Icom IC-R3 is a handheld radio & video receiver that is capable of receiving and displaying wireless video signals. It is not the only such item available to the public, also many wireless surveillance cameras are not properly secured. The wireless part of the system is vulnerable and the web site for remote viewing may be vulnerable to hacking.
Don't fear or avoid the use of the technology. Just be aware of the vulnerabilites and make allowances for them. Keep the wireless cameras away from things you don't want your neighbors to see ;-).
Greg
Also keep in mind that "wireless" usually only refers to the signal that the camera is transmitting. You would still need to provide power to the camera(s).

comp.home.automation is an excellent newsgroup for such questions.
Bob

See if you can track down a Grantec E-Guard card. This will allow you to attach up to 4 cameras to any PC running W/98 350mz or faster. The bundled software includes motion detection, LAN connectivity and scheduled operation. They were closed out at $40 from a couple hundred MSRP. They do show up on Ebay from time to time

I assume you've used these. Can the motion detection be "masked" to eliminate areas with moving leaves, etc, but still show those areas on the video? Does the card work reliably?
Bob

I have one but I have not played with the software that much. I do think you can select the area you want the potion detection to trigger on. I just run mine occasionally for a wildlife camera and let it go full time

You're in the wrong forum.
Try alt.security.alarms, or cctvforum.com
Another poster suggested alt.home automation - the correct one is comp.home.automation. May be of little help.
I appreciate the replies. But for those who indicated this as the wrong forum, I must now debate since this is the only forum I have received replies. The other suggested forums of home automation and home security have gone unanswered after two days.
Thanks anyway.

That may be because such basic questions have probably been answered there many, many times. It might be beneficial to search through the existing postings there for your answer.
Greg
Remeber, FBI estimates that 90% of the effectiveness of the system in deterring burglers is the sign.