Home size

This is from the Carpe Diem site. Homes are 1000 square feet larger than in 1973. Per person space has nearly doubled.

Dean Hoffman

This should work better and lead directly to the particular story:

or

Dean Hoffman

Molly Brown

I think new homes make more use of the AVAILABLE space.

E.g., the 1950's-vintage home I grew up in was only 1600 sq ft. But, also had another 1600 sq ft in the "finished" basement that wasn't counted in the 1600 sq ft "total".

Nowadays, it seems like basements are more *formally* living spaces (walk outs, etc.). The "Laundry" is a genuine *room* instead of a cubbyhole into which the machines are tucked.

From the newer homes I've seen, bedrooms haven't really gotten larger (with the exception of the master suite). But, there are usually two "living rooms" ("family room"/activity room) and a dining room (instead of a "breakfast nook"). And, "outdoor rooms" (enclosed porches, etc.).

I find it misleading to some extent because not all space is really "equal"; e.g., we have a lot of space for two people but too much of it is impractical (e.g., I'd prefer more STORAGE space than some of the "wasted?" LIVING space)

The other trend I notice is for far more utilities in homes. More electric service (in places other than the kitchen), additional water heaters, HVAC systems, etc. We have several friends that have multiple furnaces, AC compressors, etc. (some of whom are "sole occupants" of their homes :< )

Reply to
Don Y

In Maryland they only counted the area "above grade" as living space so my old house is listed as 1900 sq/ft but, like you say, it is almost twice that with nothing but a tiny utility room and a laundry room that is not completely finished. Here in Florida, the "BAS" is usually referred to as the part "under air". (HVAC controlled space). Then they have other classifications for outside/utility areas. (Finished enclosed porch, finished open porch, unfinished open porch, screen enclosure, garage etc)

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes. Here it is not uncommon to find 1000+ sq ft of "under the stars" living space -- regular furnishings in unenclosed/uncovered space (meal prep areas, living room furnishings, electric/plumbing utilities, etc.).

The only times these areas are unusable are when it is raining (rare) -- or "too damn hot to be outside" (fine, wait for the sun to set!)

Likewise, detached 8 car garages, the RV tethered to the house's electric/water, 1500 sq ft "art studios", etc. screw up the normal notions of "house".

Reply to
Don Y

I have 2400 sq/ft in the screen cage. 1.5 times what I have under air.

Reply to
gfretwell

I had a friend in the midwest who had about that much in an addition he'd put on the back of his home for his pool (20 ft ceiling for diving). We'd joke about the fact that he should move into the addition and turn the

*house* into his "patio"!

Here, the appeal is being out-of-doors as the weather is conducive to that, for probably 9 mos of the year. So, it is not uncommon to have very large landscaped areas/open patios to host parties, etc. Most houses aren't designed for entertaining (few VERY large rooms). Our place is pretty open so it's not as bad as most.

OTOH, the outdoors is almost infinitely accommodating (let the party overflow into the front yard, neighbors' yards, etc.). Here, the openness of the house and privacy of the back yard make it too easy for folks to freely move between the indoors and outdoors. So, lots of stuff gets dragged in that we'd prefer remain outside. A lot less risk of things getting broken and much easier to clean up when the activity is confined to the outdoors! (though one has to be diligent lest you start attracting wildlife)

And, smokers seem to forget the distinction between indoors and outdoors when it's too easily breached. :<

("Have you got an ashtray?" "Yes, it's outdoors. Notice the fire pit??")

A friend just passed away yesterday. I'm sure there will be a "celebration of his life" at someone's place in the next few days. Bad timing as we may see our first rain in the next few days...

Reply to
Don Y

Of the 2 legged type???

Reply to