Home shower drip repair (how do I get the Delta faucet apart)?

Page 2 of 2

From the diagram it looks as though there is a screw in the center that needs to be removed and that may be what is keeping the remaining parts secure. However I don't see that screw in your actual photograph. According to Big Jake the escutcheon does not need to be removed on this particular valve and the diagram appears to support that claim. However I am wondering what role that big round piece which is probably behind the escutcheon plays in all of this. The escutcheon is probably just stuck to the wall from caulk. If you want to remove it, try getting a small flat screwdriver or a putty knife behind it and gingerly work your way around.
I have found that plumbing instructions, like electrical instructions are written for people who already know how to do this type of work so no great detail is provided.
On Mon, 12 May 2008 06:52:22 -0400, John Grabowski wrote:

Hi John, Joe, Jake, Joseph, etc.
That big round brass bonnet turns out to be fundamental to the cartridge removal process! I called Delta again this morning (800-345-3358) for one of my most amazing customer support phone calls.
First off, I didn't have to press 1 for English (why isn't that always the default!), second, they answered the phone right away (wow!), third it was a human who answered (woo hoo!), and fourth, they knew what I was talking about without me having to ask for the next level of support! Amazing. Simply amazing. I went from cursing Delta to loving Delta in a single phone call!
What Delta customer support told me on the phone was the following: - No need to remove the escutcheon (unless we need more room) - No need for any tools (except, in dire cases, a strap wrench) - She called the set screw a grub screw & said it was 1/8 inch allen head - She said I described the Delta 1300 or Delta 1400 series faucet - The parts and procedure are the same for either shower faucet
The key is the brass bonnet ring (as you surmised): - The brass bonnet ring spins off counter clockwise by hand - If it won't spin by hand (it didn't for me, but, I'm not that strong) - She said to soak a rag in a 1:1 solution of warm water & vinnegar - Let the rag sit on the brass bonnet up to four times
In tough cases: - If it's won't turn off by hand, she said DO NOT USE CHANNEL LOCKS! - She was adamant about not using any two-point pliars! - She said pliars don't apply even 360-degree pressure - She said the only tool recommended is a "strap wrench" - I'm not sure what a strap wrench is, but, I guess it's like a really tiny an oil filter wrench of about 1 1/2 inch diameter.
She said: - Once you spin out the cartridge, buy a replacement cartridge - Reassembly is as simple as spinning the cartridge back in - The cartridge is Delta P/N RP19804 for both faucet types - She said it's at Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Best Hardware, etc.
Well, I guess we know the answer. Spin out the bonnet. I am off to Ace to see if I can find a tiny strap wrench after work today. Wish me luck!
Donna

Good luck! That cartridge will likely set you back $30-$60. You should probably be able to replace the two rubber "cups" for less than a buck.
My channellocks are 4 point, but I understand their concerns. I have distorted a brass ring badly enough to have to replace it.
JK
On Mon, 12 May 2008 10:42:46 -0700 (PDT), Big_Jake wrote:

Hi Big Jake, You were right on the money. On all counts! The Delta Monitor cartridge was $50 and the two rubber cups & springs under them were really all I needed to stop the leak.
I tried both the new cartridge and the repair kit and, guess what, they both worked fine - so I returned the $50 cartridges and opted for just replacing the two rubber cups and springs below them. I also replaced the two small washers on the hot/cold water nipples on the cartridge, and the large O-ring on the outside of the cartridge.
Overall, the job was easy once I removed the brass bonnet ring with a strap wrench! I did make a few mistakes though. For example, I turned on the water to test but I had forgotten to put the bonnet ring back on, and the cartridge shot out of the wall a quarter inch or so spewing water everywhere until I could shut off the main water supply.
Also, the hot became cold and the cold became hot, so, I had to reverse the way I put the cartridge in the wall. But, overall, once that bonnet ring was off, it was a piece of cake. The bonnet ring is deceptive because it looks like it's part of the main brass assembly, whereas, in reality, the bonnet ring is in addition to the main brass assembly. That's what threw me off.
To repeat, we did NOT have to take off the escutcheon. The only tools required to fix a leaking Delta Monitor single handle non tilt shower faucet were the 1/8 inch allen wrench to remove the grub screw holding the handle on and the strap wrench to remove the soft thin brass bonnet ring.
I'll post some pics so the next person benefits from our work! Donna

Donna, thanks for getting back and letting us know the final outcome and for the details of your experience. I wish more posters would come back with the end result.
On Tue, 13 May 2008 08:12:42 -0400, John Grabowski wrote:

Hi John,
Thanks for the kind words.
I very much thank you and Big_Jake, Joseph Meehan, Caloo Clay, JoeSpareBedroom, hchickpea, and Gordon for your wonderful advice.
It's nice to know there's help out there when you need it! And, now, there's the answer so the next person has the benefit of what we've learned together!
Donna

In a pinch, I have used a leather belt for a strap wrench.
On Tue, 13 May 2008 00:53:38 GMT, Gordon wrote:

Hi Gordon, That would have worked, I'm sure, as with the strap wrench, the bonnet easily spun off (I couldn't budge it without the strap though). http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2488962230/in/set-72157603940232052 /
Here, so everyone benefits, are the additional photos showing the entire repair (http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl ).
The Delta Monitor faucet repair slide show is here http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/sets/72157603940232052/show /
I hope the next person with a leaky Delta Monitor single valve non-tilt shower faucet can benefit from our discussion here.
Thanks everyone! Donna