Home shop compressor

What is the concensus on compressors for around the garage and home. I'd like to get something between 15 and 21 hp..

Craftsman? Harbor Freight's brands..? Chiago Pneumatic? Others?

I like craftsman's deal with the 'free' tool kit that has the 3/8 and

1/2 drive air tools. It 'says' no need to add oil. But I thought oil was needed to help lube the ratchets and air guns etc...?

Not looking to overspend. If I can get the job done with one of the above less expensive models..

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Do you mean 15-21 gallon? If not and you really need 15-21HP your in the wrong group!

I have a Craftsmen 20 gallon and have had good luck with it in the last 15 years I have had it. I use it for spray painting filling tires brad nailer nothing heavy but I do use it often and have had good luck with it. YMMV?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

15-21 hp?

Ask in alt.mall-of-america.repair

That's a monster compressor for home use.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Depends on the usage you expect. Oil in the compressor has nothing to do w/ oil lube for the tool itself. Oilless compressors are cheaper, but tend to be noisier and are suitable for occasional/hobby/homeowner use. Don't know who makes Craftsman at the moment, HF/CP are a crap shoot imo that you never know what you'll get on any particular sale. I have large Ingersoll-Rand for the main one, but a smaller similar to what you're talking oilless DeVilbiss from Lowes that has been perfectly adequate for what it is for quite a number of years.

Reply to
dpb

Huh?

15 to 21 Hp? Are you talking about 1.5 to 2.1 or? 15 Hp is almost 11KW power rating. That's a lot!
Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have an Ingersol Rand 60 gal, which is great. I can do just about anything I want with it. The warranty was superb, but mine has since run out. I only had one problem which was a bad switch, IR sent me a replacment out overnight. I bought a Crapsman but took it right back, it was so loud I couldn't stand it even if I put it out the door! I'll admit the 60gal is a bit much for me,but I plan on having it for many MANY years. A smaller compressor would only constantly run when using it to sand/drill/grind, they are good for inflating tires and brad nailing and such. The one I have will run at a good clip if I am blasting or sanding but I can still here the radio!

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

I should have check my spelling

HEAR not HERE!!!

ooops search

Reply to
Shopdog

If you have skill with building your own stuff, consider a compressor out of an air conditioner, or refrigerator. Fairly quiet, and delivers good pressure. You may be able to get a HVAC guy to sell you an old one, cheap. You'd need to change the lubricating oil. Replace it with an equal volume of ND30. Make some kind of check valve, and a bleeder so that the compressor doesn't start under load. Use an old water heater tank for an expansion tank.

I know at least a couple repair garages where you can't hear yourself think when the chug chug compressor comes on. Wish they would use a refrigeration compressor instead. Actually, I may suggest that to a couple of them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- I've got a Craftsman 35 GALLON compressor that I'm mostly happy with. Just two things bother -- the tank bleed valve is usually stuck tight when the job is over and it's time to let the water drain out (high Florida humidity), and it is LOUD.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

That might be OK for home/hobby use, but you would need one hell of a large AC compressor to supply the 15 - 20 or more cfm @100 psi or more that is typical of an automotice repair shop.

Reply to
Larry W

WOW, that's a big compressor that's going to cost a lot!

Harbor Freight shouldn't even be in that sentence. A POS.

That's their oilless compressors. Standing next to one is like standing next to a Harley at half throttle.

No need to be buying another one in two years, too, when your cheap POS wears out or you can't buy parts. Buy a good one, like Ingersoll-Rand.

steve

Reply to
Steve B

When I origionally bought, I was convinced that 5HP was the minimum to run tools well. My origional "5HP" craftsman was not quite enough for my sandblaster, so I gave it to my father and bought a "real" 5HP, used, 2 stage cast iron compressor. It is way stronger and quieter than the cheap one. I'm sure it will last me the rest of my life.

The tank size (gallons) means little as far as what tools it will run. It only affects how often the compressor will cycle on.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

A question on air compressors was posted and to this I say: If your on A budget and live in or near A large city check on Craigslist or try a used tool outlet. I've seen very nice compressors go cheap. Even if you need to replace the motor you might score A bargain. I have a Craftsman oil less 175 PSI vertical that has around A 35 gallon tank on it. I only have A 3 car garage so I couldn't go for the

60 or 80 gallon that I wanted. I bought this one about 6 or 7 years ago and it handles everything I need it to do but I don't use it with my sandblast cabinet. I dought it would last long if I did. I have A old Wards gas engine unit I dig out when I need to sandblast. HF sells name brand compressors along with stuff like U.S. General and in this months flyer there's A 15% off coupon on any one item. That would knock there U.S. General 5hp 60 gal. $799.99 unit to about 680 bucks! Now, if I move the Beemer and the Knuck over to the south wall and put the garden tractor in the tin shed...
Reply to
harleyron