Home-repairs (or similar) in the news

Last week in Baltimore, 3 people were found dead, killed by carbon monoxide in the boat that one had bought used just a week earlier. After one day, authorities said they thought it was related to the electric generator. There were no vents open in the boat.

I had assumed that a gas generator on a boat would be on the upper deck, or if not, permanently vented with an exhaust pipe going up and out. I would think even a small generator would be too heavy to move up and down the ladder or steps every time it is to be used, and one could never count on the vents and portholes etc. to be sufficient. Was the new owner fooled by the arrangement he found, or is it sometimes done that way?

Fire caused by ceiling fan. A fire began this past Sunday in the attic above a third floor apartment in a townhouse in DC, on Capitol Hill, Investigators are looking at "an old [ceiling] fan as the possible cause. Barak Obama lives in an apartment on the second floor, but was home in Illinois with his family. The fire was relatively minor, the FD said.

I have friends who leave their ceiling fans on whenver they go away. I can see it in the winter I think, when it blows the warm air down to the thermostat and saves fuel for any given setting of the thermostat (although it could just be set lower, I would think),

but in the summer, when iirc they also leave the AC on even if they are gone for a week, it seems like the fan just makes the AC run more. The wife doesn't want the piano to dry out and crack, and has some special electric thing in the piano. But it seems like there is no point in running the ceiling fans. It just blows the warm air from the ceiling down to the thermostat and makes it cool even more. OTOH, on a one story house with basement, is there anything above 4 feet high on the first floor that is damaged if it is 80 or 90 degrees up there?

Is there any good that comes from running the ceiling fans? IN the summer? In the winter?

Reply to
mm

I have a small ceiling fan mounted over my bed. In the summer, it helps keep us cool so we can sleep. Also, we have a 2 story open area in our diningroom, and hot air tends to rise and make the upper level quite warm. The ceiling fan there circulates the air and keeps the upper level from getting too hot.

FWIW, leaving the a/c on when you are gone, even for a few hours, wastes electricity. It's cheaper to only run it when you are home. Contrary to popular belief, it does not cost more to cool a warm house then to keep it cool at all times.

Reply to
Ook

I've brought that up with them already, and they had a reason for leaving it on, I forget what it was, but not the one you suggest below. (Tney turn it up to 78 or 80 iirc.) I've reached the limit of trying to change their minds on this.

Thhe only question I haven't addressed with them is, Is there any good that comes from running the ceiling fans when no is home, in the winter when the heat is on, OR in the summer, whether the AC is on or not?

Reply to
mm