home repair question

One of our cats is scratching the bottom of our closet door. It is a flush door and he is scratching some of the veneer off the bottem. I wanted to know if the veneer can be repaired or do I need to replace the entire door.

See, that's what wrong with our country these days. People want to paint over the symptom instead of fixing the underlying problem. Fer Pete's sakes--- train the damned cat not to do that-- or get rid of it.
Pat
Or declaw the cat. Regarding the door, if it's bad enough to be noticeable it's too late to put something over it to protect the door until you sell the house. We had a front door that had dog scratches which we masked with a brass kickplate.
Reveneering a run-of-the-mill door would be more $ than getting a new door. You may want to let it go til you sell then get a new door then.

Ew...no! That's an awful thing to do to an animal...amputating the last segment of their fingers in effect. It ought to be outlawed. Especially for a grown cat accustomed to full digits.
I don't want to get rid of him we love him he is part of our family. If my 2 year old child scratched the door would I get rid of him!!!!! Would you!!!

Then what if it WAS your 2 year old scratching the door?...Oh Brother...Buy a new door!...LOL

Tough Love, Star-Boy, Tough Love.
Set limits, teach values, create high expectations, develop a sense of personal responsibility and enforce accountability, etc.
What you're talking about here is your wife's cat! You sound like a whipped quiche eater.
Pat
On 27 Oct 2005 15:37:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

Definitely. If your 2 year old scratched my door, I'd get rid of him.
On 27 Oct 2005 15:37:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

No, I would help him get rid of the habit along with providing sufficient motivation so that he would quit. Do to anything else is unking to the child.
snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

Add a touch of class to your door by putting a brass kick plate over the damaged area:
http://tinyurl.com/bw8re
And, buy the cat a scratching post and a can of catnip spray.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
On 27 Oct 2005 13:19:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

Aside from teaching your cat to behave (buy a scratching post), you might be able to find some sort of aluminum strip or even glue some rubber base (with lip cut off) to the door. Unless you can still sand it, apply some putty etc, Depends on how damaged it is. I love cats, but they do not come in my house except for a supervised visit. I live on a farm and the barn is for animals. On extremely cold nights, I bring the cats in, but they have to stay in cages, which generally means I get no sleep from all their noise. I have since found it easier to rig up an old electric blanket in a wooden box in the barn. This is only those subzero weather periods.
Your other option, use the basement when the cat is not supervised. Maybe even make it a special room down there.
I love all animals, but the way I see it, the house is mine, the barn is for animals (or a room in the basement, etc). Everyone has their space...... Cats are not allowed in my garage either. They knock everything off shelves. They seem to sneak in there far too often too.
Mark
On 27 Oct 2005 13:19:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

What I usually do is buy a 4 oz can of wood stain the same color as the wood whose scratches I want to cover.
If it is dark wood, I use that stuff called XXXXX Scratch Cover. It comes in light and dark, in a tall but 8 oz plastic bottle.
What furniture repairmen do to fix dents is use a set of crayons that are wood-colored. I think my first two ideas are better here, but you can buy a set of crayons at a woodworkers supply store**, I think, or even maybe HD. A full beginner's set might be 8, but you only need one right now. If they have a set with more than 8, I havent' seen it.
**I never saw such a store until 15 years ago. I'm sure they were in industrial n'hoods, but Baltimore now has one in a retail area, and I found one a few miles east of Indianapolis in a retail area. Maybe they're everywhere now.

To be clear XXXXX is a place-holder for the name, which I don't remember.
www.homesteadfinishing.com sells sticks of (I think) shellac refinisher's use for touchup repairs like this.

You're not allowed to leave doors closed when you have a cat. They're always on the wrong side.
http://www.softpaws.com /
-rev