Home Phone Wiring Repair

POTS is a pretty robust technology. A partial short will put a hum on the line or take it off hook, depending on how "short" it is. If it is off hook, it will show busy when you call. He said it has a ring tone.

Reply to
gfretwell

ome number from my cell I hear ringing, but the phones in the house don't r ing.

replace all the DSL filters one by one. But could they all 5 go dead at onc e? Could a surge go through the lightning arrestors, knock out 3 phones, le ave the DSL router and answering machine untouched? I don't think so.

ine is in the basement and terminates on a lighting block arrestor. Two mar oon solenoids on the sides with incoming wire connected above, and phone li nes below.

oming wire posts and connected a phone. No dial tone.

incoming directly to my router? It's not a long run maybe 6 feet.

So it's 4 days later and it's been raining. Now the phone has dial tone wit h EXTREME static. I didn't report it yet because I think it might be strike related, and I doubt they'll fix it during the strike anyway. So I'll wait to see what happens if it dries out in a few days or a week. If the DSL go es down I'll report it immediately.

Reply to
Cosmic Dot

[snip]

Phone works only when wet? Somehow, that could be a grounding problem.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

home number from my cell I hear ringing, but the phones in the house don't ring.

o replace all the DSL filters one by one. But could they all 5 go dead at o nce? Could a surge go through the lightning arrestors, knock out 3 phones, leave the DSL router and answering machine untouched? I don't think so.

line is in the basement and terminates on a lighting block arrestor. Two m aroon solenoids on the sides with incoming wire connected above, and phone lines below.

ncoming wire posts and connected a phone. No dial tone.

he incoming directly to my router? It's not a long run maybe 6 feet.

ith EXTREME static. I didn't report it yet because I think it might be stri ke related, and I doubt they'll fix it during the strike anyway. So I'll wa it to see what happens if it dries out in a few days or a week. If the DSL goes down >

Fine. Keep a speculative wild goose chase going on the internet, instead of putting in a service call to Verizon to fix what's almost certainly their problem.

Reply to
trader_4

my home number from my cell I hear ringing, but the phones in the house don 't ring.

to replace all the DSL filters one by one. But could they all 5 go dead at once? Could a surge go through the lightning arrestors, knock out 3 phones , leave the DSL router and answering machine untouched? I don't think so.

ne line is in the basement and terminates on a lighting block arrestor. Two maroon solenoids on the sides with incoming wire connected above, and phon e lines below.

incoming wire posts and connected a phone. No dial tone.

the incoming directly to my router? It's not a long run maybe 6 feet.

with EXTREME static. I didn't report it yet because I think it might be st rike related, and I doubt they'll fix it during the strike anyway. So I'll wait to see what happens if it dries out in a few days or a week. If the DS L goes down >

They're on strike. They're not going to fix this during the strike.

Reply to
Cosmic Dot

You're not going to get much satisfaction on a usenet group in the meanwhile.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You're right, I wouldn't expect management to know which end of a screwdriver to use but at least call it in and get on their waiting list.

Reply to
Jess Askin

with EXTREME static. I didn't report it yet because I think it might be st rike related, and I doubt they'll fix it during the strike anyway. So I'll wait to see what happens if it dries out in a few days or a week. If the DS L goes down >

iver to use but at least call it in and get on their waiting list.

I'll grant you folks that point. They could take weeks, so it's advisable t o get on the list. The last tech a year ago told me the wires on the poles were all used or had static. Rain after dry periods did bring on static at that time.

But let me ask another question. I have some old 1960s phone wire. It's 4 w ire, and almost stiff. Must be 3 or 4 times thicker than the stuff in my ho me. If I wire that, directly from the point of demarcation (after the fuses ), to the router/modem with RJ45 jack, will it increase the throughput and speed of the DSL connection?

Reply to
Cosmic Dot

ne with EXTREME static. I didn't report it yet because I think it might be strike related, and I doubt they'll fix it during the strike anyway. So I'l l wait to see what happens if it dries out in a few days or a week. If the DSL goes down >

driver to use but at least call it in and get on their waiting list.

to get on the list. The last tech a year ago told me the wires on the pole s were all used or had static. Rain after dry periods did bring on static a t that time.

wire, and almost stiff. Must be 3 or 4 times thicker than the stuff in my home. If I wire that, directly from the point of demarcation (after the fus es), to the router/modem with RJ45 jack, will it increase the throughput an d speed of the DSL connection?

From your description your problem is the wiring outside the house, not inside. When they fix that, it might improve the DSL. Changing 20 ft of wire inside your house when there is likely thousands of feet, if not miles of wire outside is almost certainly not going to change anything. DSL is more sensitive to bridge taps on the line and wire gauge changes over the whole course of the line than it is to the particular gauge of

20 ft of wire inside your house.
Reply to
trader_4

some old 1960s phone wire. It's 4 wire, and almost stiff. Must be 3 or 4 times thicker than the stuff in my home. If I wire that, directly from the point of demarcation (after the fuses), to the router/modem with RJ45 jack, will it increase the throughput and speed of the DSL connection?

Intuitively, it seems like it ought to help. I'd run the old wire parallel so you can go back if you want.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Exactly, unless your DSL lines are running *very* close to electrical wires and other sources of possible noise/interference, it will make absolutely zero difference.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

trader_4 posted for all of us...

+1
Reply to
Tekkie®

s 4 wire, and almost stiff. Must be 3 or 4 times thicker than the stuff in my home. If I wire that, directly from the point of demarcation (after the fuses), to the router/modem with RJ45 jack, will it increase the throughput and speed of the DSL connection?

you can put __one__ DSL line filter there and run a dedicated line to the D SL modem and feed all rest of the regular phone lines in the house through the single DSL filter.

As others have said, the DSL will probably not work any better but it does make for a cleaner installation. sometmes easier to troubleshoot problems.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

When I first got DSL service, I installed it at an existing phone jack, with filters on all the other phone extensions. When that did not seem to work well, I did what Mark suggests (install a whole-house filter at the NID/demarc), and then used a 2 wire twisted pair shielded cable such as

to home-run from there to the modem directly. Made a noticeable improvement.

Also discovered a quirk of the DSL modem. Over time, as it detected static, noise, etc on the line that would cause data errors, it would downshift its speed. I found if I would reset the modem about once a week, it would re-scan the line to find the highest speed it could make good data with.

Standard phone co wire is not twisted or shielded.. Adding it helps reduce interference from electrical noise in the house, (cell phone, wifi, cordless phone, etc) 22AWG is the same as old-school phone wire.

Note: the above wire is stranded so I tinned the ends for attaching to terminals

Reply to
Retired

t's 4 wire, and almost stiff. Must be 3 or 4 times thicker than the stuff i n my home. If I wire that, directly from the point of demarcation (after th e fuses), to the router/modem with RJ45 jack, will it increase the throughp ut and speed of the DSL connection?

he DSL modem and feed all rest of the regular phone lines in the house thro ugh the single DSL filter.

oes make for a cleaner installation. sometmes easier to troubleshoot probl ems.

one-Cable-Per-FT.aspx

Thanks I've made a note of that wiring, to check out as time allows.

Today, my phone service is fully repaired. Honestly, I think they were work ing on the lines. We'd be the last to know. It went off about 8 days ago, a nd it seems to me the static came on gradually over a couple of days, then faded to black. Now from black it's faded to static, and now full strength without static. These old copper wires. Hoping the rain won't crash it all again.

Reply to
Cosmic Dot

ome number from my cell I hear ringing, but the phones in the house don't r ing.

replace all the DSL filters one by one. But could they all 5 go dead at onc e? Could a surge go through the lightning arrestors, knock out 3 phones, le ave the DSL router and answering machine untouched? I don't think so.

ine is in the basement and terminates on a lighting block arrestor. Two mar oon solenoids on the sides with incoming wire connected above, and phone li nes below.

oming wire posts and connected a phone. No dial tone.

incoming directly to my router? It's not a long run maybe 6 feet.

May 9 Verizon is on the way! Later this week. The phone line, and I have is olated it to the outside line, gets static when it rains, and goes dead, in ternet and all, when it rains hard for about 8 hours. Then when it dries up , the static reduces to almost nothing. I'm not sure Verizon believed me. I was told basically that copper wire does that. Perhaps they hope not to re place it before FIOS arrives.

Reply to
Cosmic Dot

[...]

Verizon never showed up. I rescheduled, and all they did was call to ask if the phone is working. Yes it is, and last night's rain didn't cause static or loss of service. And we had an electric power outage on a night with li ght rain. So I am thinking there never was anything wrong with my phone, it was replacement or wire maintenance. They powered down, and off, and did p hone repairs, then last night the electric company did the same thing. Two consecutive Fridays with overnight outages. Not a coincidence. If they woul d simply inform us of outages beforehand !!!! Instead of everyone calling, and scheduling, and worrying, and spending hours testing their lines and ph ones ... they like the drama, and the stealth. But I guess it's fixed at th is point, the real test will be the next soaking rain of 2 days duration.

Reply to
Cosmic Dot

Strange thing happen with phone lines.. I had an internet connection problem and complained. After testing they said my line was OK, but the next day they found the problem two blocks away. Neighbor next door never had the problem.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

a number of times "no problem was found" and then the problem went away.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

k if the phone is working. Yes it is, and last night's rain didn't cause st atic or loss of service. And we had an electric power outage on a night wit h light rain. So I am thinking there never was anything wrong with my phone , it was replacement or wire maintenance. They powered down, and off, and d id phone repairs, then last night the electric company did the same thing. Two consecutive Fridays with overnight outages. Not a coincidence. If they would simply inform us of outages beforehand !!!! Instead of everyone calli ng, and scheduling, and worrying, and spending hours testing their lines an d phones ... they like the drama, and the stealth. But I guess it's fixed a t this point, the real test will be the next soaking rain of 2 days duratio n.

Strangest thing I ever had happen is a phone line with a problem calling

911 by itself. One morning I had no phone service. I figured I'd just wait awhile. A few hours later, it was working again. In the afternoon, I had the police here, responding to a 911 hangup call. I told them I had the phone problem, somehow that must have been the cause. They said they have heard about it happening before. Later than day, I went out, when I returned, cop car there again. Same thing. So, this time the cops notified the 911 people that it was a problem and to ignore it. I called Verizon and I guess they fixed whatever it was. Looks like an intermitted short or whatever can send a series of pulses that looks like the string 911.
Reply to
trader_4