Home Phone Wiring Repair

Page 2 of 5

Now if only someone would explain what a NID is .. .. .. ..

Have you heard of the internet?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_interface_device
nb
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 16:59:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

NID is a "network interface device" which generally speaking os a bod with an RJ type jack on the line side and an RJ type plug on the user side which plugs in to connect the house to the line and allows you to plug a phone i n directly to the line, isolating the home wiring for troubleshooting purposes.
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 20:20:00 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I read newsgroups for a reason. If I had no real life and could spend ALL my time on the internet, I might spend it googling the web all day long. And when I have dialup it would take all day.
If somene posts to these newsgroups, it would only make sense to put the FULL WORDING for initials on the topic at least once. Just common courtesy. We live in a world with far too many initials, and only people in that business understand them.

You need to join my group: CRAP!
That's Curmudgeons Resisting Acronym Propagation. ;)
nb
On 4/28/2016 9:54 PM, notbob wrote:

I thought it was Curmudgeons Resisting Acronym Proliferation.
Weren't the SALT (Silly Assed Language Teasers) talks supposed to stop this?

Hey!.... It's my group!! (although "Proliferation" works jes fine)

I certainly hope not. What else does usenet have!? ;)
nb
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 10:35:33 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

It doesn't take all day to figure out what NID or similar means. Just to prove it, I just opened a new window, typed "NID phone" and a whole bunch of hits with the answer was listed. Took less than 10 secs and the words Network Inteface Device were there. It would take a couple of mins more if you wanted to click on one or two for more information.
On 04/29/2016 07:33 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[snip]

Some people appear to be "naturally" helpless, and won't try a simple, fast thing to get the information, but will have to use the more complicated, slower method of asking and waiting for a possible answer (that's likely to not be as good).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

NETWORK INTERFACE DEVICE. makes troubleshhoting a breeze

My phone service has a box on the outside of the house which has a plug just like the plug in phone jacks. I'm assuming this is what it is.
If my phone is not working, I pop off that cover, unplug the whole house, and plug a (known to work) phone directly into that box. If that fixes it, then I know the problem is in my house. Otherwise I call the phone company and it's their job to fix it at no cost to me.
On 4/28/2016 9:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Where do you think they get money? Of course it costs you, averaged out with a lot of other subscribers. No free lunch, my friend.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 5:50:57 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

I've never heard it called a PA, never heard the term before.

He said he has no NID.

The OP is at the phone line where it enters the house. Sounds like he's at the point where the phone company's responsibility ends and his begins, so IDK what you're point is.

it enters the house??? Fine but now you are picking at straws just to have something to dissagree with.
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 16:13:35 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It depends on where you live Verison is the dial tone provider in lots of places. There is no "Ma Bell" anymore here and most former RBOC phone companies have abandoned the name.
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 16:58:10 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

tone. Getting it to you may be the responsibility of a third party depending where youl live. Makes for a real "pass the buck cluster----."
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 8:47:21 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

ing.

e? Could a surge go through the lightning arrestors, knock out 3 phones, le ave the DSL router and answering machine untouched? I don't think so.

oon solenoids on the sides with incoming wire connected above, and phone li nes below.

THanks to all for all the info. This is far more than I found searching onl ine. Consumers really do understand tech and what to do to help themselves! Thanks!

For plain old telephone:
Off hook 5 VDC On hook 48 VDC Ring 105 VAC
IIRC, red to ground should show power.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

This is also a very high impedance source, It is not going to light a lamp unless it is ringing. Then it would light a neon.
500 ohms or less will take the line "off hook" and show busy to an incoming call. It really sounds like he is not connected to the central office but it is connected to the DSL hub which might just be a box on a pole, right up the street. .
On 04/28/2016 07:47 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Unlikely, but ONE failing could cause the problem if it created a short (at the low frequencies used for phone but not the high frequencies used for DSL). Fixing that may even improve your DSL. Also, the problem may be elsewhere in your inside wiring.

I don't have a NID either. Doesn't matter since I switched to cable for both phone and internet. Why would you have solenoids there? Like another poster said, they could be fuses.

Do you get a dial tone with the two incoming wires only? (disconnect them and connect ONLY them to your jack)

It appears that you have failed to disconnect your inside wiring, while testing the incoming line. A NID makes this easier, but you still need to do it.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/