HOME OWNERS HUB FOLKS READ THIS

Please check the DATE of the post before you reply.
The Home Owners hub web site you are on is simply a link to the newsgroup alt.home.repair.
If you don't know what that means, Google "usenet"
Some of the post you folks are replying to are very old.
Do try to be more courteous.
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 9:23:56 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

re: "The Home Owners hub web site you are on is simply a link to the newsgroup alt.home.repair."
That is not true.
http://www.homeownershub.com/ is an actual website/forum unto itself.
What is true is that the website "pushes and pulls" posts from many usenet groups (as well as other venues I believe).
For example, they also "push and pull" posts from rec.woodworking.
My main point here is that Home Owners Hub not "simply" a link to a.h.r.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Home Owners Hub seems to work like Google Groups. In both cases, the original poster seldom replies to comments about their posting. I wonder if they expect an E-Mail response, so never check the Hub or Group for replies?
Fred
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 12:30:22 PM UTC-4, Fred McKenzie wrote:

There are a few full time GG'ers in a.h.r who typically rank high in the activity stats each month. In fact, I believe that the top 2 posters in August are both GG'ers.
There seems to be some sort of aversion to GG'ers. I've seen comments regarding "Learn how to use a real newsreader" and "They don't know what usenet is", etc.
I'm a GG'er and I've been on usenet for decades, long before Google was even a gleam in Al Gore's eye. (He invented both, right?) Currently, GG fits my "usenet lifestyle" for a number of reasons, none of which include not knowing how to use a newsreader.
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 12:03:37 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Totally agree...could be a 1st here? JK
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 1:10:51 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:

Don't let it happen again! :-)
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 1:03:37 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

+1
I also don't recall seeing these old revived threads showing up via GG. Not saying it never happens, but certainly the last few weeks the ones showing up here have been almost all from Home Moaners, not GG. For whatever reason, it's becoming more frequent. There were always ones occasionally, but now it's becoming a regular thing.
"DerbyDad03" wrote
| > Home Owners Hub seems to work like Google Groups. In both cases, the | > original poster seldom replies to comments about their posting. | | There are a few full time GG'ers in a.h.r who typically rank high in | the activity stats each month. In fact, I believe that the top 2 posters | in August are both GG'ers. | | There seems to be some sort of aversion to GG'ers. I've seen comments | regarding "Learn how to use a real newsreader" and "They don't know what | usenet is", etc. | | I'm a GG'er and I've been on usenet for decades
There are people who use GG and know about Usenet. Why anyone would want to use webpage format is beyond me. I can only guess that you use a number of computers and want quick access to groups from any of them.
In any case, most of the outdated posts that show up in newsgroups are from people who use GG and never come back. They respond to a post from 2005 and never resond to other posters who tell them their error. That's the other problem with GG. People discover it with searching and never understand what they're dealing with.
In most groups I visit the problem isn't too bad, but in this one there are a lot of strays, a lot of parasite link-ins from the likes of Home Owners Hub, and a lot of nasty and/or extreme OT posters. My solution lately is to just ignore anything that begins with "Re:". That means it's either from HOH or a response to someone I've blocked. As a result, I pretty much just stop by these days for a quick check to see if there are actually any home repair posts. Today? A few REs and some idiocy about airlines banning exploding cellphones. On to the next group... See ya. :)
On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 11:34:55 AM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:

Toss in the inability to install a newsreader app on some of those computers and you're getting close.
In fact, all it really takes is the inability to install a newsreader app on any *one* of those computers, forcing someone to use GG on that computer. You end up in a situation where you might as well use GG on *all* computers for consistency sake.
It's like the inability to upgrade Excel (or any app) on one of the many systems you use. Running different versions on different computers can get frustrating and cumbersome, so you run with the lease common denominator: the version that works on all of them.

Actually, the HOH website is leveraging usenet to drive traffic to their website in order to derive revenue from advertising.
If everyone would simply ignore their posts on Usenet, they'd be out of business in a snap, and we'd all be better off.
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 2:02:23 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Please explain why that would happen.
If HOH is a website in its own right, how do you know that they aren't garnering enough revenue just from members that never leave the site? They may be attempting to *increase* their revenue by pushing the posts out onto usenet, but how do you know that they don't make enough to stay in business just via their own members?
In addition, please explain how my response provides them with any revenue.
If someone posts a question on HOH related to a window repair and I answer it from a.h.r with the same answer that they received from someone who answered it on HOH, how did they make any more money? How would they have lost money if I hadn't answered? In other words, how do *my* actions create or prevent revenue at the HOH site?
On 2016-09-08 3:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

They cannot, but they will get more eyeballs to your post on their site, posting here is providing them free content.
--
Froz....

On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 3:06:03 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Given that the folks who wind up here via Home Moaners are such dolts, it seems logical that most of the answers to questions that are worth anything are coming from usenet, not other Home Moaners. Therefore seems logical to me that ignoring them could have a big impact.
In addition, please explain how my response provides them with any revenue.

IDK how that site works, but at many like that, if there is a response to what you posted you get an email so that you know there has been a response and you can go look at it.
On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 10:29:15 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

Well, they may be out of business soon anyway if they keep pulling all the crap from a.h.r.
The most recent threads at HOH:
Sunday is 9/11. Are you prepared to Die? White plaster like gunk clogging my kitchen drain pipe John Deere D110 mower steering alignment OT: Water RESISTANT iphone Handy Tricks HOME OWNERS HUB FOLKS READ THIS OT: Humans will be wiped out by robots Flamemaster wont ignite. Fertilizing rocky soil where it's half soil half stones (and no dirt) The water that drains from the AC
Look familiar? We're a different breed here on usenet. If people are really looking for answers on HOH, the OT stuff will drive them away eventually.

...and then someone has to click-through an ad in order for revenue to be generated. I guess the more "looks", the more "click-throughs" are possible, but the "looks" aren't based on the quality of the answer, just the fact that an answer was supplied. Stick with me here...
So if more answers means more "looks", what we need to do is *not* ignore the posts, but actually reply in greater numbers - but with really crappy answers.
Between the OT stuff that already ends up there and the crappy answers that we'll supply, we could drive the quality of the material down so far that people would just stop "looking". ;-)
On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 06:22:58 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Just think, everytime you post something to alt.home.repair, Homeowners Hub is STEALING your post and claiming it as their own. I dont know about you, but I did NOT give Homeowners Hub permission to repost my postings, or claim them as part of their crappy site. I wonder what a lawyer could do with this matter????? Maybe it's time to find out!
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 3:01:21 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I see. You posted something on the internet with no password protection, security or expectation of privacy and now you are complaining that it is on the internet for all to see.
I'm pretty sure I know what a lawyer would say to you because I just said it. If you really feel it's time to find out, please give one a call and let us know what (s)he says.