home owner insurance cancelled!!!

Page 3 of 4

I have not checked in a while but years ago I wanted to pay for a year policy for the car and was told they only take 6 months maximum.
If you want to show proof of insurance then you can get it a month or 3 months at a time.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

I'm quite sure different companies have different policies (of doing business) as well as coverage...the one I use gives all of the above as choices at differing total cost...

Some auto insurance companies will not write a 12 month policy. It is not up to the buyer. You can make a down payment and get proof of insurance for the registration and let it drop in a month.
On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:37:56 -0500, Duane Bozarth

With most insurance companies there is no choice. Automotive policy's are written as six month policy's only. This gives the insurance company two "outs" a year in case you run over a bus full of pregnant nuns or rack up a handful of tickets / dui's / accidents.
Steve B.

My car insurance - GMAC - issues 12 month policies.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography Web Page: www.destarr.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Not for long. They are starting to quote new policy holders with 6 month premiums and will eventually convert the old policy holders. AIG just finished doing that. (I just received a quote from GMAC for a 6 month policy and they were high, very high)

Just renewed - goes into effect 9-18, for 12 months. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography Web Page: www.destarr.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:47:57 -0400, JerryL wrote:

States differ. Both my automotive and home insurance has always been a 12 month policy.
--
Keith

$3000
Just where do you think the cutoff point is ? Say a $ 200,000 house. YOu have a deductiable of $ 1000 or even $ 5000. What point do you file a claim ? Do it at a 10% loss, 25 % loss, or do you wait tuil it is the full 100% ?
I think if you have a $ 1000 deductable then anythinge much over that should be filed. The insurance company may not like it, but it is their bet against your bet.
Re Re: home owner insurance cancelled!!!:

No, insurance is supposed to cover you for losses above your deductible. If you buy a low deductible (say $500) then the insurance company will bill you a relatively high premium based on the assumption that you will submit claims for losses over $500. To then drop you when you do so is IMO a breach of an implied covenant. If they do not like small claims (say $1600) over the deductible, then whey are accepting payment on such a policy?
You pay for a high level of coverage and then they get mad when you use it.
Well is legal, so they do it. The solution is to avoid low deductible policies.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

He said he was "dropped" but I'm guessing he was not renewed. In that case, the contract has run its course and it not being renewed. No implied covenant in that case.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I disagree on the "implied" in the last statement--the insurer never tells you up front "Oh, btw, if you happen to have reason to file a claim for this policy we won't be renewing it." One assumes when doing business that the offer is mutually beneficial for both parties and that the offeror is under no more duress in making the offer than the acceptor is in accepting.

Exactly. They had a one year term of mutual benefit. Term expired and insurer decided it was not in his best interest to continue a relationship. Happens in business every day. We've told a few customers we don't want to sell to them any more. If the business it not profitable, we just won't do it.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

But would you do that if the customer had completely fulfilled the terms and done so in good faith?
I'll grant the individual customer can be a pita--I had clients as a consulting engineer that I did not accept further work from for similar reasons.
I still believe that while I agree the end decision is one made on the bottom line that there's a more devious mode of operation in play w/ the insurance companies than in the way in which you or I would, as individuals, be comfortable w/ as a way of doing business.
Illegal? No, in the most part. I still think often the insurance companies are rewriting the rules to favor them far more than I think conscionable. I still contend that the nub of their problem is that they tend to underestimate potential liability in order to sell coverage and collect premiums in a competitive marketplace and then have to scramble to cover their losses. This, of course, is also a two-edged sword in that we, as consumers, hunt for the cheapest premium we can find. Think, however, of how many ads you've seen on the TV touting one brand over another for both the best in service at cheaper than competitors' prices. They're making their own bed as well.
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 09:51:45 -0500, Duane Bozarth

I would and do. Sometimes we have customers that just aren't profitable for us to service and so we have to stop servicing them.
At the end of your insurance year you are free to move to another insurance company if you so choose. They should also be free to not renew your insurance if they so choose.
Steve B.
Steve B. wrote:

"Servicing" in the horse and cattle industry that means the same as fuck.
Well I had two incident in six years. One of them was hurricane Irene related, they HOI paid some $, and most damages were paid by windstorm, and the other incident related to a pipe leak. now they refused to renew me. So if I need to find another carrier I will be paying very high premiums? This really sucks. I remember a friend of mine at the office, he was 56 at the time, and had State Farm car insurance for TWENTY FIVE years, and one day he told me he had an accident, and it was the second time in 25 years, State Farm dropped him after 25 years!
MC

miamicuse wrote:

Unfortunately this merry band of theives (insurance industry) have state laws (or the lack thereof) stacked in their favor. Best you can do is shop. Oh, and bottom post. :-)
miamicuse wrote: ....

My anecdotal evidence is that State Farm is one of the worst in this regards...
If you can qualify under your local conditions, I'd suggest at least looking into Farm Bureau.
"Steve B." wrote:

But you could also choose offer to service them at whatever increased rate you need and they could then choose to accept of go elsewhere...why would you not do that unless there were other specific confounding factors unrelated to simply cost?