Home outdoor surveillance

Hello, I need to install an outdoor surveillance system. 4 cameras connected to a PC. Where do I start? I've googled it and have seen a number of different types, brands, etc. Any recommendations would be very helpful. Thank you.

WalMart now carries some digital surveillance systems. wireless,to connect to your PC.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Walmart has workable systems in the camera department. They have several systems hanging on the wall with 2 cameras and then extra camera are available on the shelves.
IP camera systems use LAN cable. Wireless cameras work fine if you are in range ie close by. USB cameras have to be withing about 15 feet of the computer.

<(Amazon.com product link shortened)91372429&sr=8-1> for nearly a year, and it's been working fine under Windows 2000. As far as cameras go, get those that use CCD sensors as opposed to CMOS. You get better resolution and light sensitivity.

I've had good luck with these guys www.cctvimports.com, but there are lots of deals out there. They also carry the GeoVision DVR card, which I have and like.
As someone else said, stay away from the CMOS cameras and I'd spend the time to go wired (not wireless) if you can. The day/night IR colour cams are nice. I bought a few of these: http://www.cctvimports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_100_125&products_id74 . Not the best, but they work OK.

Just install fake cameras or some fakes if you just want to discourage people mucking around!
The presence of a camera can be a excellent deterrent:) cheap too!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Walmart cameras. People set them up and get so excited that there is a picture that they don't realize how terrible the quality is. I know 2 people who had them and there was a break-in at one place and vandalism at another. When they reviewed the video it was impossible to tell who it might have been.

If you have a "Fry's" in your area, they stock a lot.
Bob
JohnnyC wrote:

Try www.allelectronics.com
and