Home mounting of WiFi antenna - advice sought for a too-short antenna mast

Page 2 of 4

They probably only upload when enough shaking occurs. The ones I found turn out to get moved, which seems odd to me unless they set them up and perhaps set off a charge to see it ping.
There is a band just above Ku I thought. 18GGZ or so?

They setup a ground station with satellite first. If it looks like it's usable, they order a lease line, or install a 400MHz uplink.
Nice 5.3 shaker a few minutes ago: <http://earthquake.usgs.gov/monitoring/helicorders/nca/20120826/ <http://earthquake.usgs.gov/monitoring/helicorders/nca/102/20120826/

Yep. There's K band above Ku band. <http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/spectrum/table/fcctable.pdf Roughly starting on Pg 50. Nothing suitable for satellite internet until you get to Ka band.
[snip]

What are you going to have instead of DirectTV?
--
charles

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 14:50:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Charles Bishop) wrote:

I just switched *to* DTV. DTV may be bad but Dish really sucks.
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 18:19:57 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I wanted to go with Dish Networks originally. They carry UCTV (the last remaining educational TV station), but DirecTV didn't. However, I have to shoot through a hole in the trees to see 101. No view of any of the other birds as they're either behind the trees|hills, or require placing a 2nd dish in an awkward location to go through the hole: <http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/DBS/index.html The photos were taken during the previous solar outage, where the sun gets behind the satellite and temporarily trashes reception.

I've been with DISH for four years. In that time, they've had to replace a DVR at least five times and they still suck; freezes, lost sound sync, dropped picture, and all. That's with a perfect sky! When it rains there's a 50/50 chance we'll lose signal for at least some period. I have *none* of that with DTV (a big thunderstorm caused a LOS for maybe five minutes, once). I like the DVR setup much better, too, though I don't have a "Hopper".
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 20:28:18 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I've gone through 2 receivers and am now on my 2nd DirecTV DVR. The first two receivers had serious sensitivity issues and an incredibly slow remote control response time. The first DVR developed lousy noises from the Seagate SATA drive. Rather than have it fixed, I opted for a better model. I wanted to get the HD model, but without the HD service. However, they wanted $100 for handling and another 2 year contract extension, so I declined.
Incidentally, when I hear symptoms like the one's you describe, I usually assume that the dish mounting is loose, the dish misaligned, the coax is soaked with water, the connectors are falling apart, or various combinations of these. It's not unusual for me to find a dish that has very loose lag screws into the beam or a flimsy pipe. <
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Xd2xIsUxQ
I've also seen LNB's full of water. I used to do some rather profitable work cleaning up the mess after the installer put in his allocation of 1.0 hrs maximum installation time. I have an ancient Sathawk 3000 meter which is a big help. Dish alignment has to be within 0.5 degrees, which is really tricky. The bigger dishes are even more critical, especially since there are about 8 birds scattered around each major (101-119) 3 degree slot.

Note the photos at: <http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/DBS/index.html The LNB is a hand picked 1.7dB NF device. The dish is an 80cm diameter dish. The added 4-5dB gain from the larger dish gives me a much better rain fade margin. Rain fade in Santa Cruz CA runs about 3dB but can climb to 6dB with thick clouds, rain, and soaked tree leafs. I have an even larger 1 meter dish which I have used in the past that works even better. The problem is that the dish is sufficiently large that even a mild breeze will move it across my flat roof.
Incidentally, an easy way to see how much rain fade your system can handle is to put a wet towel (absorber) in front of the dish. Covering half the dish is 6dB. 1/4th of the dish area is about 3dB loss. This also works for wi-fi links.

Nope. After we went through the third DVR within a couple of months, I insisted that they give me a *new* one, not one that's been recycled and not fixed. They had a technician come out to deliver it (evidently they always ship out "refurbs" but the installers have new ones, also). He went through the entire system and may have replaced the LNB, as well. He was mucking around with it for quite a while. Nope, still happens.

Good idea. The DISH dish is at ground level. The DTV dish is hanging off the deck. Both are pretty easy to get to. BTW, half is 3dB.
On 8/26/2012 5:17 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I got that Channel Master dish off of Craigs. It's a nice one. I think the company has been sold once or twice. It was an Andrews product, then some other company bought it out. When you have to compete with Chinese junk, a molded fiberglass dish isn't very competitive.

Did you get the DVR? How much a month? How many TVs.
--
charles

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 17:10:43 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Charles Bishop) wrote:

Yes, it's fantastic; far better than the DISH DVR (not Hopper) and any cable DVR I've ever had.
Don't remember how much I pay. The cost structure is impossible to decode and I haven't looked at the bill lately.
Three TVs, two HDTV, one not. The non-HD TV box can't access the DVR so it can only show what's on now.
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 14:50:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Charles Bishop) wrote:

I'm not sure yet. Netflix looks good, but I'll probably get bored with it after about a year. YouTube, Hulu+, and others are yet to be explored. The local video rental store closed, so renting DVD's and BluRay disks are not an easy option. I have some friends with extensive DVD collections, so I may borrow some stuff. The downtown library also has a fair collection of what I watch (documentaries, history, science, technology, how-to, and occasionally anything that is mind numbing).
To keep from tying up a computah and screen, my initial attempt will be either a Western Digital WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, or a Windoze box running some PVR application: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_PVR_software_packages> I would go with Linux, but until there's a native Netflix application (that doesn't require Silverlight), I'm stuck with Windoze.
I may also go without any TV. I didn't have a TV for about 15 years of my life, and never really missed it. I'm rather disgusted with the large number of historical distortions, glorified stupidity, amazing factoids, and saturation advertising. Even so, I would have no problem paying for such rubbish if it were all content, but not when approximately 1/4 to 1/3 of it is advertising and self-promotion.
Incidentally, my all time disappointment was the Discovery channel's streaming video. It runs for exactly 5 minutes, stops, waits for the user to click "continue", and then plays a 30 second commercial. No way to get past the commercial without clicking "continue". If ever there was a way to chase away viewers, they have found it.
Another disappointment was testing a Sony and a Panasonic BluRay player with Netflix etc built in. Both of these companies seem to have a service that they sell to the streaming content provider to "allow access" which is a nice term for shaking down the providers for money to host their service. Sony had Pandora on their player, but Panasonic did not. My crystal ball can see where this is going to go, where in a few years, services will come and go depending on contract negotiations with Sony and Panasonic. No thanks.

[snip unsurety]

I recently shut down my DTV, mostly since sis was paying for it and I didn't want her to have to. For a while, I watched DVDs, but then had to move the TV &c, and didn't bother to put it back. So, I'm TVless again at least for a while. I do notice that I get more things done without it and haven't gone into withdrawal.

Until all this shakes out it will be difficult to choose. OTH, people have Netflix, DVD and/or streaming and like it.
--
charles

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 17:08:04 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

The problem with Netflix is that they don't have all their movies online.
On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 21:25:14 -0700, Jeff wrote:

Beautiful closeup, by the way!
On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 08:20:22 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Hi Jeff, Thanks for the advice. You're a wonderful local resource!
I picked up a 10' length of 1" (ID) EMT conduit today (they don't have any shorter lengths). I'll cut it about ten inches long, and push it in about four inches and drill a crosswise hole in the mounting to bolt the pipe into the J arm.
I might not even bolt it into the J arm if it feels sturdy.
Then I'll lag bolt (screw) it into the edge of the wood roof beams, which should work. The trick is that they're forty feet up in the air (due to the hillside being very steep at the fault line). I 'was' going to use the balcony but this rocketdish is huuuuge!

Up here in the Santa Cruz Mountains, we'd ditch everything for cable; but it's just not in the cards yet (even though we're practically in Silicon Valley - you'd think we'd be wired!).
While nobody would even think of HugesNet (Ku band), a few neighbors have started their two-year contract with Viasat Exede (Ka band). It's FAST, about 12 to 18 Mbps down. Much slower up. But you just can't change the latencies of 700ms to almost a second!
Even the guys on the two-year Viasat contracts are adding WiFi dishes so that they have a backup line-of-sight system. The WISPs out here are all good guys. They let me, for example, keep my dish pointing to them as an emergency backup, just in case my other WISP goes down (which is frequent with the winds & power outages around here). We all have backup generators and the WISPS have battery backup - but it's for naught when the antenna blows down.
I've mounted a few radio antenna but this new Rocketdish antenna & Rocket M2 radio is the BIGGEST HEAVIEST I've ever mounted - so it's more of a mechanical problem than the planar and smaller parabolic antennas I've had in the past.
The biggest problem now is the 40-foot drop should I fall off the ladder! :)
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 08:32:02 +0000 (UTC), "J.G."

Ugly, but functional. If you don't want to weld the two pipes together, think about using epoxy or other glue. However, I would weld as the thermal expansion and contraction will eventually crack the glue joint.

You can't directly bolt it to the J mount. If you run a bolt or two through both pipes, you're likely to crush the pipes when tightened. You'll need to cram a spacer inside the 1" EMT to allow the bolt to be properly tightened. Two small bolts, such as what's at the bottom of the J mount will also work, but you'll have a difficult time fishing it into the middle of the assembly.

Please remember that you have but one life to give for your internet access.

I'm familiar with the situation. When the county renewed the contract with Comcast last year, they were forced to add service to several marginal areas. Basically, anyone that complained sufficiently loudly to the county got service. Those that didn't, such as most of the summit area, got nothing. This should be a clue as to how things are done. Next chance is July 2014. <http://64.175.136.240/sirepub/cache/2/cfp1hr55o2tzyzburhwfgxvn/350276908262012083128615.PDF

I have customers and accomplices with the same situation in the Aptos hills. Exede (Wild Blue) is slightly slower in the Aptos area because it's at the border of the spot beam. It also wanders a bit, varying somewhat with what I guess is signal strength. I've been doing remote maintenance (using Teamviewer) to several Exede systems. There's a bit of a delay, but since it's a very constant delay, it's easy to accommodate. VoIP requires saying "over" at the end of each "transmission", but is totally functional. For fun, I called Exede customer service via VoIP. No problems. Here's another users experience: <http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26978267-Exede-Exede-VOIP-via-OBi110-with-Google-Voice-is-outstandi The big question is whether the customer can dump AT&T POTS in favor of VoIP via Exede. The jury is still out but I'm lobbying for pulling the plug.

I did a 50 ladder climb to the 3rd floor to realign a HughesNet dish on a tile roof. I'll never do that again. No problem once on the roof, but the ladder was really bouncy. Later, I was told that the correct way was to tie a 20ft ladder at midpoint to form a bipod to stabilize the ladder.
If you're not sure of yourself, throw a heavy climbing rope (11mm) over the top of the roof and down to the ground on the opposite side. Tie it to a tree or something that will take your weight. Borrow a sit harness (not just a belt) and tie yourself in. If you can't handle the knots, get a rescue ascender/descender such as: <http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Ascenders-Descenders There should be plenty of tree climbers, wood butchers, or arborists in the area. Bug me if you want names.
The hard part is not going to be mounting the dish. It's going to be aiming and aligning the dish. Unless you're tied into the rafters, I don't think the J-mount tied to the eaves is going to be strong enough.
Don't forget to waterproof the exposed connectors. I wrap them with teflon tape, and then cover the teflon tape with electrical tape. A layer of clear coat acrylic paint (Krlyon) for UV protection and to keep the tape from unraveling in the sun.
Can't you find a better or easier location? Something at the roof peak would be easier to work with.
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 08:53:01 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I'm going to circulate THAT at the next local homeowners meeting to see if we can get everyone to complain!
Maybe that's all we need to get cable in the mountains!
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 08:53:01 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

While the neighbors who have added Exede are happy with the speed, and they knew about the latency problem beforehand, the one thing that will kill them is the bandwidth caps.
WISPs out here typically do not limit bandwidth.

Don't know what your Verzon coverage is like, but they've been rolling out LTE across the country. Once that is in place, Fusion is a viable alternative to satellite. Speed's about the same and you still have to deal with caps, but pricing is less and the latency is much lower.