Home made rain water tank

Hi,
Here in Australia I live in an area that has no connection to mains water. We have two corrugated galvanised metal water tanks that cost approx $3000 each.
My family is growing and I need another.
A look at the construction and it appears to be quite simple, curved metal that is riveted at the joins, these types of tanks have been in rual areas for decades.
I am quite handy and am wondering if anyone has ever built one themselves. Is it hard
I have googled it and found nothing
Rich
On Oct 16, 2:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@exemail.com.au wrote:

Greetings,
Please also consider ferrocement. The tanks are made by wrapping metal mesh (with rebar for larger tanks) in a circle and then applying mortar. There is lots of information online. Some of it also applies to boat hull building using ferrocement.
Hope this helps, William

Hey,
I have seen some websites on ferro cement tanks and it seems a lot of work and rebar. Especially in developing countries.
My reason for wanting to use metal is:

Sorry previous post continued.
My reasons for metal are that I already have two metal tanks, I could make the tank in my garage and then roll it out and position it into place.
A metal tank of the size I imagine would be approx 11meters in circumference.
The metal sheet size is approx 700mm wide at costs around $15 per lineal meter
If I make the tank say 4 sheets high this is 44 meters of metal, which costs about $650. Add a couple of hundred dollars for a roof and floor, rivets and sealant and for less that 1000 bucks I have a $3000 tank.
I am just wanting some tips before I take the plunge and spend the cash.
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 21:42:54 -0700, AussieRich

So the tank will be about 11m x 2.8m
If you put that on it's 2.8m side to roll it, would it be rigid enough to resist "squatting" into an oval shape?
Wouldn't it be easier to build it in place? I don't think you will have to worry about being rained on while building it :-)

.

Hi, as the metal is corrugated and there would be a top and bottom on the tank it should not squat. I,ve seen them on thier side on the back of flat bed trucks going up the HWY with no problems.
The tank would be 11m in circumference which is approx 3.5m across (diameter)
On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 17:37:20 -0700, AussieRich

Oh, I thought it was 11m diameter and 3.5m high. You are right, I don't think it will "squat".
When you start this project, I hope you will keep us informed of your progress with photos.

Caesar,
It will probably be quite some time before I start this project, I tend to do a lot of dreaming/planning before I get there. I'm one of those conservative engineering types.
There are lots of projects that will probably get in the way before I get to this. I am not the General Manager of domestic construction at my house. Domestic development approval is directly proportional to domestic bliss, as funding permits.
Last weekend involved the spreading of 40m3 of mulch and this weekend will see me laying 40ton of crushed granite on our driveway. I feel tired already
Anyway, when I do have a crack at the tanks I will make sure I send you guys some pictures.
Rich
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:47:35 -0700, AussieRich

Thanks Rich. Good luck with it.
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 23:27:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@exemail.com.au wrote Re Home made rain water tank:

Just curious. What are the dimensions of the tanks? How are the joints sealed to prevent leakage? It seems like the joint seals would be crucial.

Have you looked into plastic, they are very cheap maybe 100$ for 300 gallon, but I dont know about Australia.

The tanks are 23000ltr (6000 US Gal) and stand about 2.5 meters (7-8 ft) high and are approx 3 meters (9ft) in diameter
joint sealing is by using a silicone/silastic sealer, similer to that used in a shower or roof/gutters. In the old days I guess they sealed them with a lead based solder