Home made laser level

Page 2 of 2

Try reading a HUMOR book.

Try sticking a HUMOR book up your ass.

Thanks for proving me right.

I'll second that!!!!
On Tue, 14 May 2013 12:06:19 -0700 (PDT), Robert

Wrong. Gravity bends space itself, so the lines *will* come out right.

On May 14, 3:38 pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote: cademic.

Actually, Einstein's theory of gravity bending the path of light rays to a detached observer was proven by seeing the "jump" of the light from a distant star as it passed near our sun during an eclipse. The position of the star shifted abruptly as the light ray followed the bend space coordinates caused by the sun's gravitational field...... then shifted back abruptly as the path moved away from the sun. Hence, the light to a distance observer appeared 'bent".....

Yes, I've read that somewhere.
On Wed, 15 May 2013 05:45:39 -0700 (PDT), Robert

Actually, no. Gravity bent space itself. You are observing artifacts of that.
On May 15, 6:14 pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Ok... Gravity bent space, and space bent the light path.....
On the other hand, we all know that heat rising makes the path of light waver, as happens when watching a distant object in the desert or over hot pavement...
Perhaps gravity doesn't actually "bend" space, and it was the hot air from the sun that made the star jump...... Pehaps Einstein was wrong........
On Thu, 16 May 2013 12:35:52 -0700 (PDT), Robert

Since the light's path is through space...

Refraction.

Perhaps but I'd like to have is record of predictions. I'd buy a PowerBall ticket.
On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:38:54 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Gravity isn't going to bend light or space over the range of a typical construction project.
However heat will. Warm air will definitely refract a laser beam enough to throw your measurements off. It's the reason a laser can't be trusted to get tunnels from each end to meet in the middle.

Surfaces can release heat and will bend beams by refraction. I have not found a use for a ruler laser, but I do have a self leveling laser from HF. I use it in low light. I've measured beam sag, and I built my elevated deck using that laser. I did try the water hose. It worked ok. Seemed like more work when looking at multiple points at the same time. I also use the dual beam HF laser to set angles and dimensions on basement upgrade.
Greg
On Tue, 14 May 2013 05:25:46 -0700 (PDT), Robert

That would have worked in the 20th century or before. But in the 21st century you would be arrested because a mouse, fly, or bird got killed from the gunshot. And the shooter would be charged for being a terrorist, and would have to face the FBI CIA and Dept of Homeland Security. They would search the entire construction site for bombs, and other weapons and explosives. Then a team of psychiatrists would have to evaluate the shooter, and 20 years of mental health care would be required after the prison term. In the meantime, all schools, shopping malls and gas stations within 200 miles would be placed on lockdown for several weeks. Then the NRA would write a lengthy article boasting their presence and state that guns should be used for all construction projects.....
On May 16, 12:45 am, snipped-for-privacy@workshop.com wrote: .....

Yes, there are a few undesirable side effects.