Home made laser level

Page 1 of 2
Has anyone ever taped a laser pointer to a level? Seems it should work as long as the pointer has smooth sides.
Just curious after another post on here about them.
On Mon, 13 May 2013 22:06:05 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@workshop.com wrote:

with it might work but there is nothing magic about a laser level. The pool builders all use a water level around here when they are setting tiles or forming up the shell because the top of that water will always be level and quickly point out the deficiencies of a laser level. Lasers are great for getting something flat (T bar ceiling, raised floors, etc) but they are only as "level" as the calibration.

I demonstrated using a water level to someone and they were absolutely sure that it couldn't be accurate especially since it didn't have a LASER.

If you take a hose and run it from New York to California and fill it with water, it will NOT be level due to the roundness of the earth.
Better yet, try going from the North pole to the South pole. I can guarantee it wont work.
snipped-for-privacy@workshop.com wrote on 16/05/2013 :

And of course you have built things stretching from the North Pole to the South ole that need to be level :-?
Actually you might find the indicated points in a water level at even that distance are at the same distance from the centre of the earth and hence "LEVEL" :-Z
--
John G

On May 14, 4:06 am, snipped-for-privacy@workshop.com wrote:

Waste of time and would be inaccurate.
Laser levels are no more accurate than bubble or water levels. Less so in many applications. Just hi-tech toys for the geekish.
They are good for getting things flat.
My first thought, is that a very tiny shift of the laser, would make for a very large shift at the end of the laser beam.
You'd have to wrap tape tightly, many times around the level, and then you couldn't get the level to sit evenly on the surface you're working.
I don't expect it to work well. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Has anyone ever taped a laser pointer to a level? Seems it should work as long as the pointer has smooth sides.
Just curious after another post on here about them.
On Mon, 13 May 2013 22:06:05 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@workshop.com wrote in

There is no guarantee (or even a claim) that the beam of a laser pointer is parallel to the smooth sides of the pointer.

parallel) with some other level, it should work. Of course, you have to account for the width of the bubble level it is attached to - eg, the dot will appear 2" higher than level if the laser is mounted on top of a 2" wide bubble level. As others have said, laser levels are just a tool that come in handy in certain situations. Regular levels and water levels are often easier to use and don't require batteries. Same with laser distance measuring devices. I love mine, but I sure wouldn't throw my tape measure or 6' rule away. ...Pat

re: "As others have said, laser levels are just a tool that come in handy in certain situations."
I once helped tape off a huge number of 6' x 10' boxes on a convention center floor for an event I was volunteering with. The guy that had done it in years past had two 10' sticks, each with a mark at 6'. (Basically a story stick) He would lay them on the floor and keep moving the sticks from box to box as he taped off each area. This saved him from measuring each box individually, but it still took him a really long time.
When he asked me to help him one year, I grabbed a laser level and shot a straight line across the entire floor. We then rolled out a really, really long length of tape, following the laser line. Once we had the first line taped, we used his sticks, one at each end of the line, to help shoot a parallel line 10' away and taped it. Once we were done with all of the lines that were 10' apart, we rotated 90 degrees and repeated the process every 6'.
Instead of moving the sticks for each box like he had been doing, all we had to do was use one at each end of the convention hall and shoot the laser line from one stick to the other. He couldn't believe how much faster it went, and how even each box came out.

But easy enough to check. Set the laser on each side and see if it points to the same spot on the wall in each case. Then figure out how to align it.

There is no guarantee that the cheap laser levels sold at places like Home Depot or Harbor Fright are accurate either. I bought one of them, it was not accurate and I proved it. It had no adjustment. The next time I tried to use it, it would no longer light up, even with new batteries. I used it as a regular level for a short time, until I found out the level itself was not accurate either. Into the trash it went.
On May 13, 10:06 pm, snipped-for-privacy@workshop.com wrote:

Why not just use a gun with a laser sight. You point it at the distant object to find the proper height and pull the trigger. It saves having to walk all the way to the object to mark it. I'm jus' sayin' ........
Sure is a labor saver. I like the idea. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Why not just use a gun with a laser sight. You point it at the distant object to find the proper height and pull the trigger. It saves having to walk all the way to the object to mark it. I'm jus' sayin' ........

Got a good chuckle out of it.
On 05/14/2013 05:25 AM, Robert wrote:

I can see it now: "But your honor, this was for a construction project, in order to establish a level line!"
Jon
On Tue, 14 May 2013 05:25:46 -0700 (PDT), Robert

A: Gravity

On Tue, 14 May 2013 05:25:46 -0700 (PDT), Robert

Well, what you are saying takes no account of the physics and trajectory of a bullet fired from a gun. It's is nowhere near a straight line.

Gravity also "bends" light, so the laser wouldn't be totally accurate either. However, I suspect that over a distance of , say, 100 feet or less, the problem with either a bullet or a laser becomes academic. Besides, it would be a lot of fun......although, if one had to sight a row of fence posts, it would take a lot of ammunition......

You are a moron if you consider the effects of gravity on a bullet and a laser beam as being anywhere near similar to each other. Then there is the effect of the bullet spin on it's trajectory.
Try reading a 6th grade physics book.