Home Made Carpenter Ant Repellant?

I have Carpenter Ants infesting my patio. They were there last year, and back again this spring. I sprayed a product called Natural Pest solution ant repel product around the perimeter of my home liberally. What a joke, $25 to feed the ants. They loved it.

I can't afford to redo the patio, yet the negative pitch providing a moist puddled environment is certainly what is providing their breeding ground.

So, I went outside and sprayed a section of the perimeter of my foundation where they like to gather with Windex, and they stayed away from the barrier. I also sprayed a couple of them with it and they struggled, then died within less than a minute of contact.

Is there a home made solution that you can recommend that I can spray my foundation walls with to repel C-Ants? I'm thinking of spraying the Windex, but I don't know how long this will repel them, because I do not believe it will have a residual/long lasting effect.

Reply to
Billy

Do a google search for Borate. It is a mineral commonly used to prevent termites and carpenter ants. May be what you need. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

...a couple of trade names are Timbor and Boracare. I have no personal experience with either, but they both seem to be effective.

John

Reply to
John‰]

:) >

:) :) Do a google search for Borate. It is a mineral commonly used to prevent :) termites and carpenter ants. May be what you need. :) Ed :) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net :)

:) :) I would worry about the phototropic of the borates being used around the plants near the foundation. Best solution is to keep the trees and shrubs from touching the structure. The C-ants are part of your environment, would be more uncommon not to see one around a home, just keep watch to make sure they aren't nesting in the structure, then address at that time. You can find Advanced carpenter Ant Bait on the web or at a do it yourself type pest control shop and it is very effective on their control. You could probably spend $50-$100 and have the foundation professionally treated with a product called Termidor and would stop all varieties of nesting ants within a few feet of the foundation and control any structure nesting ants on the outer walls.

Reply to
Lar

log onto

and buy liquid ant bait. Worked for me.