Home intercom system ques

Bill:
B > Our home has a broken 70's Nutone (tube type) AM/FM intercom system. B > We did initially try to have this unit repaired and the tech said it B > was cheaper to replace. The cabling to each room is 3 wires. We are B > looking for a basic intercom to replace this; the primary purpose to B > play CD music throughout the house. I have looked a little on Ebay and B > such and most systems are in the $500-700 range here. Any ideas how B > we could get this done for less? We are pretty frugal here! Thanks B > in advance - Bill
If you want good quality sound you probably will be better off to use the three wires for speaker leads. Haven't heard intercoms lately but last I did they sounded rather tinny. Even an inexpensive speaker would sound better!
Be cautious when wiring: speakers in parallel will drop the impedence quickly. Two 8-ohm speakers in parallel is a 4 load. OTOH two 4 lines in series would bring it back up to 8. You're also playing with the output levels.... Can use a 6 higher-wattage resistor between the speaker output on the amplifier and all the paralleled speaker leads.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Headline: Suicidal twin accidently kills brother.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971