Home Insulation

I have a 1 1/2 story house and had a couple questions on insulation.

While painting an upstairs bedroom ( southwest side of house) I had the paper of the sheetrock rolled up on my paint roll.

The sheet rock was pretty brittle and It appears it may have been from the heat . In Houston and it can get pretty hot here.

The East and West outside walls of the bedroom goes to the attic. On the west side thats where the AC is. So there is plenty room to work up in there.

I looked at the older insulation and a lot of it is torn apart This is in between the studs Vertical. I want to replace it but also want to put another blanket of insulation on it. Either Horizontal or an insulation type sheet with foil on one side.

Suggestions?

Also. The rest of the house has blown-in insulation. The rafters for the second floor run from east to west. As it is now............ outside air entering from the vent in Soffit can travel through the rafters from east to west. The blown-in insulation never covered up the spaces in between the 1st floor ceiling and 2nd floor flooring. Does this need to be stopped up with insualtion or does it need to breathe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you have a part# or name brand for rolled insulation or sheets please advise;

regards

Marty

Reply to
Tazz

Unfortunately for you, likely NOT insulation failure causing problem, but resulting from.

Sure sounds like delamination, more'n'likely resulting from water. Likely causing the other problems you reference. I'd focus on weather protection on the outside and above first, then insulate, and redo interior skin.

Local insulation contractors could provide best picture of what they can do, vice fiberglass which you can readily do.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Sounds like water damage caused the drywall to go bad.

Reply to
m Ransley