Home Inspections

Hi..anyone out there have some good info on Home Inspection Training? Anyone done the Carson Dunlop training? If you are a home inspector and would not mind providing me with some info on hw to break into the market, please respond here to drop me an email.
Thanks!
we refused had a clause in the offer - subject to

In theory you care correct, but in practice, too many home inspectors are a farce and miss major situations.

Very true.... but I think that the second reason is the MAJOR reason....
I have never sold my own home...BUT after selling my Dads home after he pased away was an eye opener ....
I had to disclose all the know defects (Maryland Law) but since I had not lived in the home for over 30 years I was pretty clueless .. Dad was always the type to fix something the moment it appeared but age may have slowed him down...
So I just declared that I had absolutely no knowlege of any defects...
Now I had a good number of Bottom Fisherman making offers real fast.... (not unusual I understand in situations like this) and almost everyone listed Major things wrong with the house..like one that said the roof had FIVE layers of shingles on it...yea sure.. And another who said the heating and A/C system was not up to par...(laughed at this one becauise my Dad was a heating contractor and both my sons are now in the same business... The Ssytem was in excellent shape and everything was top of the line ...
Real pain... in the end there were NO issues from the Buyers AFTER they had an inspection done...
Bob Griffiths
I still believe in getting major sytems inspected by pro's in their fields, and you run around and look at the paint and the wall paper.
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
wrote:
[snip]

In the United States, at least, producing a copy of last year's income tax return, showing 'single' filing status, ought to be sufficient.
To cover your behind legally, I would take it upon yourself to get a heater certification done. It is usually a requirement in most townships for occupancy. Also termite, and radon. The Mortgager will require it, I am sure.
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

i have given it to my laywer. about 6 months ago i had a qualified registered home inspector go through my home as per my home insurance renewal. i have his inspection in writing and whatever he noted i repaired. there are no major issues that i am aware of. i am not the type to rip any one off. if i knew there was a problem i would either fix it or let the potential buyer aware of it and adjust the asking price accordingly. the buyer was preapproved for the purchase and looked it over several times, once with an independant contractor.

so i go down and get a blank 10-40 form, fill it out with all my info and some numbers, check the single box, copy it, copy it again so it looks more 'official', and voila....
im sure theres a better way.
randy
isn't a gfci outlet enough ? I never heard of them having to be on separate wires / circuits
--
Be cool,
Longshot

1999 just says that it the bathrooms have to be on their own circuit. They are. The newer code requires each bathroom on its own circuit. You can not inforce new codes on older properties unless they are being remodeled. He did not ask for arc faults in the bedrooms, now required.

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 00:41:24 -0500, "Bob Pietrangelo"

And don't forget poking the moron meter into all the plugs!

fyi, if a house sits vacant for a year or more it can lose all grandfathered codes. it somehow falls into an abandonment status. probably only a local thing (Indiana).
longshot wrote:

You are right, it is certainly local. About like the fencing law in Texas ( becomes yours if not disputed after a period of years. Try that it most places and you would be shot. Grandfather status in some places seldom changes before a sale, and often not after a sale as long as the property continues as is.
On 4 Mar 2005 06:52:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@nf.sympatico.ca wrote:

Maybe they don't care. Maybe they're bulldozing it. Maybe they forgot. Maybe their agent knew you'd rejected offers with inspection clauses. How should we know what someone else's reason for doing something is? Ask them.
Jeff
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:03:02 -0500, "John Harlow"

First of all, it doesn't mean that at all. It simply means that the contract is not dependent on the buyer accepting an inspection report. Locally, many sales do not have an inspection clause. The market is so hot that sellers reject these clauses outright.
Jeff

Another good one in my opinion is American Society of Home Inspectors     http://www.ashi.org     http://www.ashi.org/inspectors/qmark_entry_form.asp