home improvment

Hi,
I bought a house a few month ago in San Jose California.
I would like to remodel the enitre house ( nothing has been done since 1955 ).
any design ideas for bathroom , kitchen is appreciated.
I am very handy and like to do the work myself.
thanks Michael
Visit some of the display centers at Bldg Supply stores in your area and see what you like there. Des

1955 ).

Talk about an open ended question. Got any friends that just might be an architect?

Not in your area but; If replacing bath tub recommend a fibreglass enclosure unit; better than a tub, and separate wall treatment, especially if also used as a shower. In kitchen avoid anything but straight counters (without turns or corners to be angled, cut and joined) if you can. Much simpler and quicker. Depending on life style avoid 'dinky little' side sinks; for example my daughter has a double stainless steel sink unit; the smaller part of which is no bigger than that used in a small camper; useless for washing dishes or pots/pans. A single larger or a double full size sink/s would probably cost no more. Personally we don't like mixer valve taps so have separately adjustable hot and cold taps in sinks, wash basins and for the shower. Very simple to maintain and you can always have water at one heat or another. Depending on climate and any requirement to fix ceilings consider adding ceiling insulation for comfort and energy saving if required. Ensure your attic/roof space is well ventilated. Don't know how reliable/costly your electricity is now; but all electric here was a good/reasonably economic way to go (natural gas not available). Electricity for a competent do it your selfer in your own home is easier/cheaper than gas/oil plumbing; no worries about gas leaks, vents or chimneys and/or oil tank environmental concerns etc. A small generator (which can also be used with a recreational vehicle) wired through a special outlet/plug for emergencies only, can carry you through the occasional power failure to avoid fridge and freezer food spoilage, a couple of small lights and maybe a fan? (Switch off the electricity supply and operate just a few 'marked' circuit breakers for the essential circuits during the power outage). Maybe we are old fashioned but; building it ourselves, keeping it simple and doing our own repairs has resulted in very economical/comfortable easy to maintain and sturdy against wind housing, since 1970; in what can at times, here, be a severe climate. Fortunately we generally don't get those subsiding hillside mudslides etc. but if you live in such an area I guess that would be primary concern? Good luck.
Just two small suggestions (I wish I had done):
- remove old wires and pipes as you go
- when gutting a room, take pictures after wiring/piping is done, and before drywall is put back

1955 ).

What a great idea!

We're having a house built and I've been over every other day photographing and videotaping the framing, wiring, and plumbing. It turned out to be really helpful when we "lost" a dataport during the dry walling.
Mary
snipped-for-privacy@qnet.com