Home Improvement gone bad- chimney liner

Page 2 of 5
Oh sammy, you just got the shit smacked out of you..... do you really want to dance again?
Anyway, I could have sworn you were done talking to me, what happened?

I'm trying to save people from your lack of knowledge.
Oh, how nice. Im sure everyone appreciates it.
But really, you must try harder.
Artist wrote:

IANAL, and this is not a legal advice forum. You need a lawyer. Now.
Artist wrote:

OK, but remember, this is NOT legal advice and you should consult a lawyer immediately.
Was a permit required for this job? Did the contractor get one? If not, call your local city / county inspection agency and ask them to cite the contractor for working without a permit. They will get his insurance information (if he has any).
How much out-of-pocket are you looking at? I'd think paying him then going after him via small claims court for your cleanup expenses would be your best "legal" route. May be a case of getting blood from a turnip, 'tho.
Andy, It is $600.00, The estimated property damage to date is $4,000.
It is over $1,000. so I understand this is not a small claims matter. I will have to pay him and have no problem doing so. I just want to get his insurance to cover my damage to my home.
Because he created such a seen at my doorstep (drama) I do believe he don't have business insurance. Thank you for your advise. Well taken. Artist

You probably need to pay him, then turn around and take him to small claims court.
I believe this maybe the case. I have an understanding I must go to a NJ lawyer.

You better talk to a lawyer BEFORE you pay him. Payment might be construed as final acceptance of the job. Did you at least have any sort of written contract? Make sure to show it to your lawyer before you do anything that might totally screw you out of everything. The contractor may also put a lien on your house, which will affect your credit rating, and possibly even your ability to find a job or insurance! Get off the computer and find a real flesh and blood lawyer ASAP. There are NO real lawyers giving free advice on usenet.
BB

I have ten days to pay him in full according to the Police Officer after I receive his certified letter requesting payment. Then I will be issued a summons to go to court for not paying him. I'm heading over to my police station now to find out what type of summons and how will this effect me personally. Thank you again.

Do NOT take legal advice from a police officer. Especially when the issue is not criminal law. This is not a criminal law issue. The police officer is trying to be helpful, but giving you legal advice was an inappropriate thing for him to do. You need to talk to a LAWYER, and very quickly!
BB

How true. Last summer I had chipmunks attacking the tomatoes in my garden. I called the PD to ask if I needed a permit too buy a BB gun. The officer told me a permit is no longer required but he asked why I wanted to buy a BB gun. I told him and he said I should just buy a Have A Heart trap and catch them, transport them to another area and release them. The next day a local newspaper had a story about the huge chipmunk population and warned about transporting them to another area. It seems that it's illegal to do so and the story went on to say that the best alternative was to destroy the chipmunks in a humain way, not with poisen in other words.
thank you for adding humor... I just came back form the police officer...he said it's criminal not to pay the contractor is 10 day of receiving a certified letter asking for payment. The officer will summons me to court to pay him for work done in my home. I have no recourse but to pay him. Then go after him through Superior County Court with a civil suet. This whole matter is mind blowing.... Thanks to everyone for their help and advise. It got me to go to back to the police station and hear the officer again.
wrote

What humor? I'm very serious about my tomatoes :-)
$4.29 per pound (for the good ones) at the local supermarket. Ground chuck is $2.29 and you can still get whole chickens for $0.89 per pound. I love salad.
Your so right Ed...I do love a good Tomato..NJ use to be the tomato state...Sorry for thinking it was a light matter. Smiles, Artist
wrote

Good lord!
This is beginning to sound like a troll. Your "cop" is giving you VERY BAD ADVICE. Talk to a lawyer immediately, if not sooner. If you keep on the path you are following, you will be very sorry. I do not belive any real police officer would EVER tell you what you claim you were told, unless they were a relative of the crooked contractor.
BB

Honest....this is what he told me...I will be calling Lawyers Monday. Very disappointed in NJ's ability to protect home owners from Dead Beat Contractors. This is troll...100% mind blowing. That is why I went back tot he officer to here what he told me the first time...and it's why I asked advise from other contractors and home owners....this is crazy mind blowing. I'm just sick about the whole thing. The clean up will end up being the least of my problems. Artist

Monday is a holiday. You should call your lawyer and leave a message so he calls you back first thing Tuesday.
Artist wrote:

Assuming that you had a valid contract with the company in question and that they have done the work that they said they would do, the UCC would require that you fulfill your obligation to pay them, and seek separate redress for any damages. You'll find that it works this way in every state that has adopted the UCC.
IANAL, and your attorney may interpret the law differently.