home generator noise and neighbors

Page 2 of 3
Yeah, if said neighbor keeps his generator on all night, he may come out in the morning and find out someone poured gasoline on said generator, and torched the damn thing up.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

dbasedos wrote:

Unless it is running an occupant's heart pump or something similar how about respecting your neighbors and turning it off?

I can tell you that my next-door neighbor was quite appreciative of my offer to let him plug an extension cord into my generator so that he could run his sump pump too; he figures that's a small price to pay for putting up with the noise.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

If its a residential area the simplest thing to do is to use something beyond big box quality. You can barely hear the Honda portable generators. If larger capacity the non big box version generac units are quiet. There is a 20kw unit at a location where I work and you can barely tell it is running from 20 feet away.
During the Florida hurricanes in 2004 and 2005 when we didn't have power for weeks at a time, I ran mine 24/7. I know it annoyed some of my neighbors but I cut them off at the pass by storing their perishables in my fridge and freezers. I let them cool off in my AC and let them cook on my electric stove.

Depends on your reason for running it.
A good response is: "Would you like to plug in your refrigerator or freezer until the power comes back on?"

Yes, if it's a situation of a long-running power outage. But the OP didn't mention that (seems one would...), and it would have to be a rather long one to even come to seeking our advice. Plus, in such a situation many generators would be running - and in my nieghborhood when there have been long power outages there has been no issue with that occassional night use when everyone's in the same boat.
But, yeah, if that's it, an offer to help out with said generator *might* help, but he has to be careful not to come off like they guy who holds a loud party and thinks the way to bring people over to his 'side' is by inviting them :-/
My bet this is more a situation like, he's camped out in an RV at a friend's house and the neighbors are not happy about the generator. But he'd have to come back and give more information.
Banty
I'd complain too about the RVcampout. In an extended outage the offer of some power would keep me quiet

That would piss me off. He can plug into the house in that case.
dbasedos wrote:

yes, to the problem part, if one runs a very noisy unit at close proximity to neighbor's house/bedroom window and does so especially without the courtesy of knocking on their door "Hey, just kindly letting you know am having an issue ________, thus need to run the gen at night, won't be running for more than ________, hope you understand"
if said neighbor has lived there for any length of time and mutual respectful relations are maintained "Hey there, how are you and do you need any help with that ______, I have some tools to assist you", then it would not be an issue
if no dialogue is maintained with neighbor, then it's high time to establish one, a bottle of scotch or similar goes a long way to smooth over a non-maintained dialogue
place yourself in the position of the neighbor, are you the kind of neighbor in attitude and demeanor he/she would wish to have? how would a neutral party(not someone who knows you) evaluate the situation?
Sounds like the original poster is inconsiderate ass, and needs to be smothered with a pillow. And his generator thrown in the lake.
Well, you DID ask.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Some times there are reasons. During the last ice storm I ran mine 24/7. I did not need it for my house, but I was also supplying some power the an elderly widow next door. She did not have any other method of heat except for the stove top. I do run the generator in a storage shed with the doors open. It ran like this for 3 1/2 days, until they got the power back.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

Cover the generator with blanket of egg paper cartons tied together with string.

Cover the generator with blanket of egg paper cartons tied together with string.
And don't forget to keep the fire extinguisher handy.
dbasedos wrote:

Depends on when and why. If it's an emergency situation such as a power failure, including those caused by say a tree taking out just the drop to that house, they are generally exempt from any noise ordinances. If they didn't pay their electric bill and were disconnected, that would probably be a different matter entirely.

You, of course, have documentation of this assertion applying to the whole country/world/etc?
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 08:30:14 -0800 (PST), dbasedos

I'm not a Psychologist, but I think your neighbor feels under appreciated!
Oren --
Hey, if the power is out, anything goes, and the neighbors can piss off.

I've been meaning to practice trap and skeet. Pull!
I'm also been planning to practice my world war two airplane search light, I just havn't got the elevation right. Mind if I shine in your window while I try it?
I'm cleaning out my freezer, you don't mind if I dump about 300 pounds of rotting beef at the end of the driveway, old chap? and then empty my RV holding tank in your front yards?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus