home generator noise and neighbors

Page 1 of 3
Anyone have problems with neighbors complaining about running a gas powered generator all night? Any good replys for said neighbor?
dbasedos says...

"Sorry, I just looked up the local noise ordinances, and discovered I shouldn't be doing this, so I'll stop. Hey I've stocked up on some beers and I can throw some chicken and steak on the grill, c'mon over tonight."
Banty
Banty wrote:

It depends on level of noise, and time of the day.
Tony Hwang wrote:

What about "all night" was confusing re: time of day?

Some generators like Honda EU series you cant hear twenty feet away, or you can put a real muffler on other units.

Yep - it's spelled out in the local noise ordinances. Well worth the OP looking up - he can bet his neighbors have.
Banty
Banty wrote:

The local noise ordinance must give way to exigent circumstances.
If the generator is running because of a neighborhood power failure, violation of a noise ordinance, designed for normal times, cannot be sustained.

Is that right? So if the power goes out, it's perfectly OK to keep your neighbors up all night?

The noise ordinance would be suspended; not the opportunity for the neighbor too sleep.
OP could shut down the noise for a few hours, or more a day.
Oren --
Basic courtesy to be as considerate as possible with the noise, at night. Put the genny in some bushes, or make some kind of sound shelter, even if it's just some cardboard and R-9 fiberglass.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Heck, just pipe the exhaust eight inches below lake level -directly into the water. You will not need anything but pipe of size and elbow.
Amazing how quite. You can even see the exhaust bubbles burst :)
Boats. etc.. exhaust the same way with less noise.
Exclude air boats...

Oren --
Bob F wrote:

Yes, under certain conditions: For example you have a medical condition that requires air conditioning, foodstuffs that risk spoilage, a business to run, such as keeping up with your Ebay auctions.
It's a balancing test: your life, comfort, or livelihood vs. irritating your neighbors (who might not even be home).
The neighbors beef is with the utility company, not you.
The utility company will promptly fix the problem by delivering ear plugs.

Check THESE ear plugs; they go nice with the top hat.
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/epa0182l.jpg
Oren --
wrote in message

Nice guy. I'm glad you're not my neighbor.
Bob F wrote:

his neighbor - the issue was grass grown too high. Last time our power was out, for three days, was relatively stressful only due to the power outage. Add in something really serious, like a home destroyed, and tempers won't be what they are on a good day.
About a week ago in my condo, I heard a man yelling in the atrium. I muted the TV to listen, but the noise stopped. Turned out the lights to tiptoe to the window and take a look...a guy on the front walk was standing there waving his arms at me. He turned and went back toward the atrium, so I went to the door to see what was wrong. He made a sarcastic comment about a vehicle blocking a parking space and there not being enough parking. I asked which vehicle was a problem and he told me the one on the end (MINE). So I went out and moved it........must have had my brain somewhere else when I parked. It had been just over the line, not a reserved spot, and the place he parked had two empty spots right next to it.
Then, the night of Super Bowl, another neighbor had a party ..... five guys, very drunk. One left the party before the others and heaved a concrete doughnut from the sprinkler through his pal's kitchen window. The owner was drunk AND pissed, the the remaining crew discussed the problem for about an hour. Cop came. Good for the drunks it was a patient old cop, because nobody wan't to give the cop ID information on the perp. Owner decided not to sign a complaint, cop left. The remaining drunks discussed the problem for another 1/2 hour......owner yelling about beer spilled on his rug, his sofa. His daughter is a decorator who furnished his place very nicely. Couldn't have happened to a better person :o) This is an expensive, low-class neighborhood . If you have money, give it away and don't leave your kids a trust fund :o)
My point is, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that someone gets shot for running a generator too late or too long. I had a brief stand-off once over a parking space at the grocery store before a blizzard. I wasn't going to back up, but I don't carry a gun :o) Had to get bread and milk and get ready for three days with no travel.
I took my generator to a car muffler shop and had them weld on a motor home/RV generator muffler. This quiets it down quite a bit, but still noisy. Can get rid of more noise by sticking generator in an enclosure.
"dbasedos" wrote in message

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 08:51:04 -0800, "Bill"

Only if you supply a unrestricted air intake.
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:45:31 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

clean air intake and also unrestricted air exhaust. With a real muffler you might be able to also pipe the exhaust outside the enclosure.
Also, if you offer to supply their electricity I doubt they will complain. I also seriously doubt that any police officer would enforce the noise ordinance in an emergency situation. I don't recall any writeups here in Springfield last year during the ice storm and many had their generators running 24/7 until electricity was restored.
Mike D.
And some kind of piped exhaust?
--
Christopher A. Young