Home Generator

Page 2 of 3
On Sat, 24 May 2014 22:19:54 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

Compared to $500 for a transfer switch - and the labour to install is significantly less too.

As well as 240 volt "limitted) power

Per Dave C:

If the gas is piped in, I'd say a conversion kit ($300?) and whatever plumbing is necessary would be something to look in to.
Does the neighbor run on gasoline? If not pick his brain...
--
Pete Cresswell

Per Terry Coombs:

Also, my experience during prolonged outages is that the gas stations' power is out too.... making it difficult to procure gasoline if you do not have enough stored.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 5/25/2014 10:03 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Just finished my biennial change of gasoline by putting old in the car and buying new and adding Stabil. Stabil says good for a year but I've been getting two. It is a pain and I told my wife that the genius in the EPA that mandated spill proof cans should have use one once.
On 5/26/2014 2:55 PM, Frank wrote:

Do a Google search or search YouTube... there are quite a number of enterprising folks out there who feel as we do and have come up with some nice retrofits to get us back to "the good old days." Just adding a vent (with a tubeless tire valve and cap) will solve 95% of the headache.
Actually, the clowns who mandated this stuff should have one of their spouts shoved up their...
On 5/26/2014 3:55 PM, Frank wrote:

Those clowns don't even know what a gas can is. They have a lawn service.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
We'd have to have a propane tank or gasoline/diesel storage tank put in , no natgas out here in the weeds
propane is probably the better way to go, its useful for heating, cooking etc etc.
unlike natural gas its self contained to your property.....
(PeteCresswell) wrote:

That's not necessarily true up here in the woods . We have miles and miles of power lines running thru the woods , and though they do a pretty good job of keeping the easements cleared , one big tree can cause all kinds of havoc . And some places are kinda difficult to get to with big equipment ...
--
Snag

some things to ponder. A secure location far enough from your home so the generator noise isnt irritating but far enough away so carbon monoxide doesnt get back into your home. that happened around here the family died.
it will be a good idea to to bury a heavy steel ring set in concrete with a heavy chain and lock. so no one can easily steal your prized possesion.
then you need a safe power plug near the generators location with heavy conductors made espically for this purpose. it cant be a double male.
its a good idea to buy a small inverter, say 1000 watts to provide lighting when the generator isnt running. connect to car battery
running the generator full time will waste gasoline....
of course none of this matters if your not home in say the dead of winter when the power fails. your home can still freeze solid:(
you migh check the cost of auto standby generators, they have gotten much more affordable...
its a good idea to have a little extra capacity for your neighbors, to keep them from freezing, or at least provide some lights...
if they are using your power they wouldnt call and complain to the police about the noise....
one last thing its good to have some lights in your home and key places where the generator will live so you can see to set it up.....
bob haller wrote:

The genset is in my machine shop about 50 feet from the house .

Our dog has her own door - 50 lb shepherd mix . She bites .

Single male plug , the other end hooks to a breaker in my shop sub-panel . 8 gauge will handle any load the genny will support .

Part of the "housing complex" here is a 25' camping trailer - for now . When the house is finished other arrangements will be made . The camper has it's own battery charging system .

Got that right , and the camper has a big ol' deep cycle battery .

Not if the fire is still going in the wood burning stove we heat with . We did have some problems last winter when the temps dove to near zero while we were out of town , but they were limited to a frozen water hose <this was before I started to build the house> and waste/sewer drain pipe .

We'd have to have a propane tank or gasoline/diesel storage tank put in , no natgas out here in the weeds .

They're welcome to join us here . The nearest neighbor's house is over 200 yards from our house . They heat with wood too , and have their own genset .

Heh , they wouldn't anyway , they'd barely hear it .

Battery power in the camper can give us light for many hours if we put the refrigerator on gas . Most of the folks out here are prepared for outages , they occur frequently enough that it's stupid not to .
--
Snag

Per Terry Coombs:

Propane, right? Or do you have nat gas piped in?
--
Pete Cresswell

Per Frank:

The best comment I heard was something like "They're really good at keeping gasoline inside the container..... but not so good when it comes to getting gasoline out of the container."
My personal guess for my use is that my spillage rate is at *least* 10x with the CARB-compliant nozzles than with the old-fashioned nozzles. The two kinds I have used were not *too* bad when new, but after a few months the jamming-related spillage became excessive.
I have a couple of NATO cans and they're pretty good: zero spillage, seemingly robust (as long as you get the real deal with the sprayed-in lining), and easy to pour from. I still have a couple of plastic containers, but would not buy anything plastic larger than one gallon now that I know about the NATO cans.
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Propane , we have no natgas out here in the woods . Not enough houses out here to make it profitable .
--
Snag

Per JR Ewing:

A can that looked pretty much like that totally vindicated my practice of never, ever, under any circumstances storing gasoline in the building that I live in.
Had it in the garden shed. Opened up the shed one day to discover that it had rusted from the inside out and dribbled it's contents across the floor of the shed.
Supposedly the "Real Deal" NATO spec cans have a lining sprayed into them that prevents that.
--
Pete Cresswell

And unlike gasoline it neither goes bad in storage nor ends up being pilfered.

Depending on the nature of the outage NG may be interrupted as well. We use NG as primary with LPG as back up
On Monday, May 26, 2014 11:01:44 PM UTC-4, NotMe wrote:

I am 57 and have NEVER had a natural gas failure. Nearby residents did when a backhoe broke a water and a gas line. The water flooded the gas line, and made a real mess that took 2 weeks to make everything all right.
But in a grid down I wouldnt be surprised if natural gas quit working.....

Why would it? All of the represurizing stations are gas powered, with their own generators to run the required electrics. The massive east coast blackout a number of years back, and the big ice storm that took down power across Ont, Quebec and the eastern states didn't affect the gas distribution system at all.
JR Ewing posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

Could you fill it then have gift wrapped and sent to me?
--
Tekkie

bob haller posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP