Home Gas Water Heater

since I have a 14 yr old water heater that is refusing to die in a manner that will allow the home warranty to replace it - I have to replace it, rather than risk inopportune failure.
So I am being told that the Bradford White Defender is the "be all and end all". But being the cynical person I am - have come here to FOAK to get 2 cents.
50 Gal, gas fired. it is for a 1200 sq ft condo, with 2 baths, only 1 person living here now, can't conceive of EVER more than 2.
Location is a non-issue - in the garage. haven't run out of hot water on current unit, sediment not withstanding.
so weigh in please. __________________________ Totus Tuus Claudia Satori
when I asked a couple of weeks ago about tankless, there was only a lukewarm <yuk yuk> response. the bid I have to install a new tankless is $1500 minimum + 800 for the unit. so far looking at $700 for the Bradford White Defender.
Altho I am inclined to the tankless, here in Ventura County the supply houses and the plumbers are really cold to them. So I had kinda taken it off the list of options. Now I see that someone else asked today about WH. __________________________ Totus Tuus Claudia Satori

I have a Bosch and wont go back to tank. I payed 6$ last month or gas that includes cooking and dryer. My electric water heater was 30$, But I have learned to conserve. Tankless last longer and do not go down in efficiency with age

Sounds fine to me. Often the more "high tech" the equipment is, the more money you will spend on repairs over it's life. Stay with a natural draft, good old standard water heater. It will probably cost you $0 in repairs over it's life.
I have a customer that has a home where all he can put in is a power vented heater. We replaced the heater 4 years ago for $1200. Last year the fancy electronic controlled gas valve died. This year the venter motor decided to get noisey. The ventor motor comes only as an assembly, price to replace with labor, $500! He decided he can live with the noise as long as it runs, then he will replace the heater!
I have a natural draft water heater in my home, 12 years old now. Other than to flush the sediment every year or two, I have not touched it.
A side on your home warranty. Are you getting your money's worth? If you took the money you pay in premiums it probably would more than cover any repairs you need. Also most warranty companies are tough to collect from as you are finding out. Too much fine print and exclusions in the contract. If I had to pay someone to repair my HVAC equipment, water heater, and large appliances, over the 12 years it would have cost me maybe $200. I can't get insurance that cheap. Greg

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT TO DIE? :-)
Nick

So, have you done a search of this news group? Tankless water heaters are discussed regularly. Consumers Reports may have a recent article. East cooper Habitat for Humanity uses tankless in all its units. I should think your situation would be appropriate for tankless. TB

14 years old and this standard, nothing special, run-of-the-mill WH has served you flawlessly and w/o complaint. (Minus the complaint that it's given you no reason to complain.)
Standard WH's are pretty simple, haven't changed much since the 50's. Don't feel slighted because WH's don't come out with a newer, better model each year, or because they aren't "new and improved" semi-annually like laundry detergents.
A 40 or 50 gallon WH, standard or high-recovery will serve you well for another 14 years. At a cost of less then 300.00 (Oftentimes on sale for around 150.00) and a typical installation cost of about the same, (Which a reasonably competant DIY-er can do for nothing) that's less than 50 bucks a year for an appliance one rarely even has to think about.
My coffee percolator costs more than that per year.

You said it's in the garage, what would be an "inopportune failure"? If it leaks on the garage floor, is that an issue? If so, you can add a device that will shut the water off if the water heater leaks.
My point is, if it's working and hasn't died, why replace it?
Jeff
because there are boxes and a washer in the garage. And as we all know - WH only fail when one is: 1) out of town; 2) NEEDing a HOT shower; 3) stuff is strewn on the garage floor for a project or sorting. I believe those are corrollaries of Murphy's Law. :-0
Actually, the main reason is that I dislike having 50 gals of water continuously being reheated and standing around, the waste of natural gas. the tank (as found out from neighbor's heater (same age & complex) failure), the tank has over 50 lbs of sediment in it. he had just bought unit and did his routine (for him) annual heater maintenance - and the clean out valve refused to close or drain the unit - just dribbled. ______________________ Claudia Totus Tuus

have done research on Takagi Tankless and this is what I have found out. The Bosch units available at Lowe's or HD are the old Takagi TK1s, that Takagi is no longer making. Older technology, not as well suited for US.
Talked to a plumber who is totally excited and hot (hehe) on the unit. The others I had talked to, were less than enthusiastic about HAVING to install them. Even tho it is a trek from his shop to my residence, he is willing to either do it or find someone who is out my way that he would trust to install in his own home. ______________________ Claudia Totus Tuus
Bosch makes their smaller unit 117000 btu which is fine for 1 person. They have pilotless, battery ignition or mini hydro generator ignition. The larger unit is a Takagi 188000 btu ? which is for 2 showers running at once.
Both may require a larger gas line.
I have the 117000 Bosch battery ignition it works great..
Will it vent to a chimney, you dont want to buy the blower kit extra, if you need a blower order it that way.