Home for old radios/televisions

My local historical society was happy to get a woroking 1952 Admiral tv to use in one of their re-created living rooms.
When I was a kid we had an old Fairbanks Morse B&W TV set that flickered all the time. My dad tried to have it fixed, but none of the TV repair places in town could cure it.
Now, when you buy a colour TV, the faces are the right colour, the TV set doesn't flicker and you get a remote control so you don't even have to get up off the couch.
--
nestork

nestork wrote:

When I was a kid , probably around 4 or 5 , Dad traded his Harley for a 12" round screen Hoffman B/W set with built-in AM/FM radio tuner . Knowing just how much my bikes have meant to me , I consider that an act of pure unselfish love for his family ...
--
Snag

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 12:28:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

It's my understanding you have the right to take the appraised value price off on your taxes.
On 6/16/2014 11:02 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

Assuming it is an approved charity, of course. And you itemize deductions
I have a note to that effect in my 2014 income tax folder, for next March/April.
Oren posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

Only if they had it hooked up to a Beta-Max with rabbit ears.
--
Tekkie

Terry Coombs posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

A good memory. I guy I worked with did much the same; kids = no boat, no GTO, no money.
--
Tekkie

It is and I do!!!

AM too! I didn't know they had that until now.
My father was a dentist and did pretty well financially, but we were definitely not the first family on the block with a TV. Wnen he finally got one it was a 19" DuMont with continous tuning (no detents) and a fine tuning knob also, and a tuning eye (two green rectangular lights, side by side. They went up or down when adjusting the fine tuning, and when they were the same height, that was as well tuned as one could make it.)
Becaus of the continuous tuning, the FM radio band was right between channels 6 and 7, or 7 and 8, or something. There was also a switch so one could turn off the video circuits and just listen to the radio. Of course in my small city, about 1954, there were no FM stations. In fact it might have been 15 years before any place but NYC had FM stations.
After 2 years in Brooklyn, I moved to an apartment there, where just above had lived DuMont himself. But he had died 9 years earlier (1965) and maybe moved out earlier than that. McGonigal (sp?), a VP of Standard Brands, had lived in my apartment some time before I got there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_B._DuMont a big name in all aspects of early television, including designing critical parts, manufacturing tv's, starting the DuMont Television Network

Indeed.
On 6/17/2014 2:18 PM, micky wrote:

Wow, 19" was huge back then. We did have one of the first on the block in the early 50's, maybe even late 40's. It was about 12", a Philco. It was a big wood box that say on four legs. I remember watching Milton Berle, Sid Ceaser
We later had a 21" sometime in the 50's, but not sure of the year. That was a console model. Us kids were the remote channel changer.
We had a neighbor who worked at Bell Labs. In 1948 he had a tv set which he built himself, set up in part of a closet, the 10" picture tube was viewed thru a hole in the closet wall. The set occupied a large portion of the closet.
I am currently restoring a 1947-48 RCA 10" round tube RCA, metal cabinet, table set. Working on the sync circuit. Picture tube in remarkably good shape.

Yeah, if I had kids, I woudln't need remote control. Even if they were 40, I'd make them come over and change the channel.
We used to have a floor radio. After the tv came in, that went up into the attic and never got played again. I'm sure my mother gave it to Goodwill when we moved when I was 10, if Goodwill would take it.
After the tv, there was no radio in the living room, although I don't remember listening to it when it was there. .

Off your income.
Agreeed, it goes in with other deductions from income, not from the taxes, that would be too good to be true.