Home electrical how to's book

Hello All,

I am planning to install several 4' fluorescent light in our 34' X 24' garage. There is existing wire in the rafters which lights two fixtures, with plugs on the ends. I don't like the look of extension cords in the rafters and want to, at the very least, install J-boxes for all the fixtures with plugs on the ends.

I've never done electrical before and I was hoping that you could recommend a book for the person who has never done anything more than repair an light cord or change a bulb.

I also have a 4 bulb, 2' X 2' fluorescent fixture that I would like to install.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

Alan

Reply to
A. Pismo Clam

I just completed that job in my shop. I went the individual wire in 3/4 conduit route, but I had a pile of conduit and a conduit bender & only had the boxes, wire and couplers to buy. Very clean overall. I also inherited a cobweb of bad wiring & was delighted to haul it off to the metal recycle. No real advice, and I'm probably at the advanced amateur stage, self taught and following my dad around when I was a kid.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Welcome to the club ! Just hit the library and find the book that seems to explain things best. You'll want to look things over, disconnect the power, put in the boxes etc necessary. The thing about electrical is once you know how to do it it's so easy as to be trivial, but until that point there's the thrill of killing yourself or burning the house down.

Follow the book, ask your neighbors who may have done some of this, and proceed.

Note that in your area, whereever that may be, you may not be able to do your own work. CA ?

Reply to
roger61611

Get the book Wiring Simplified - based on 2005 NEC.

A very good book

Good Luck, Joe Michel

"A. Pismo Clam" garage. There is existing wire in the rafters which lights two fixtures,

Reply to
J.A. Michel