home design software recommendations?

I'm designing a garage addition for the house and would like recommendations for design software. I've tried:

IMSI Floorplan (horrible)

Punch 4000 (nice but for some odd reason doesn't support a first floor with siding and brick foundation, at least I can't see how it does) ,

Google sketchup (interesting and fun tool but has a way to go for this application, plus it really doesn't generate a floorplan).

I'm thinking of trying Broderbund 3D Home Architect Home Design next. Anyone with experience with this or others care to comment?

Reply to
JohnH

I'm designing a garage addition for the house and would like recommendations for design software. I've tried:

IMSI Floorplan (horrible)

Punch 4000 (nice but for some odd reason doesn't support a first floor with siding and brick foundation, at least I can't see how it does) ,

Google sketchup (interesting and fun tool but has a way to go for this application, plus it really doesn't generate a floorplan).

I'm thinking of trying Broderbund 3D Home Architect Home Design next. Anyone with experience with this or others care to comment?

Reply to
JohnH

I respectfully submit you go back and take a closer look at the current version of Floorplan. There is a learning curve depending on your familiarity with such software, but it's perfectly capable of what you want, IMO. I realize ymmv. TurboCad 2D is fully capable but with a learning curve and costs more.

Do NOT use old versions; all CAD has gone thru a growth into reality.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

I have found 3D HA to be very easy to use, and I designed our home using it. It was able to export the floorplans in DXF format which I passed on to the draftsman I was using so he didn't have to start from scratch for the floorplans.

I was using release 3 of 3D HA at the time, so there are likely far more features available with the current release. Release 3 gave you elevation and cross section views, but couldn't create a proper elevation or section drawing, so my draftsman had to do those from scratch.

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

You might want to look at the Better Homes and Gardens series. I have Home Designer Pro (Actually written by Chief Architect) Pricey, but they have less expensive versions that are still pretty powerful. So far I've only used it for a storage room to laundry room conversion, but I had nicely rendered 3D views about an hour after installing it. They have some very nice step by step tutorials that really get you going quickly.

I haven't used the others you've mentioned, so I can't compare.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

I tried Punch and did not care for it. Also tried a couple of other forgettable shareware apps mentioned in this newsgroup.

I picked up a full retail boxed edition Broderbund 3D Home Architect Home Design on Ebay for about $26 including shipping. I like it a lot better. The 3D library is somewhat limited and there seems to be no active support for it. 2D is all I really need. It does not include the plumbing or wiring levels.

I agree with the poster who said that all the newer software has a learning curve. It is much different from my old keycad software circa 1990.

Ask questions if I missed something.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt