Home Depot Warning

Went shopping at my local Home Depot the other day. Browsing through the kitchen cabinet section I see one of the computers that the HD people use to write your order. It has a big warning on the screen from Mcafee Anti Virus Software that the system is infected with spyware. Told one of the HD customer service reps about it, they looked at me like I tried to have sexual relations with their dog. Went out to the car to get my cell phone and take a picture and when I came back the offending system was turned off. Just makes you wonder how those computers are tied into the computers up front that take your money when you buy something. Very scary!

Reply to
HD Shopper

Who you gonna believe?

HD or McCaffee..... don't tell me. Let me think...

Reply to
HeyBub

You worry too much. You better go home and check the radon output of your granite kitchen counters. Careful now don't stand too close to the microwave oven it will make you sterile and give you breast cancer. You have a cell phone? Hell don't hold it too close to your head you'll get brain cancer.

cm

Reply to
cm

Got you beat... Did you know the teller line at your local TD Banknorth has internet access? they do and they surf with IE too.. makes me want to pull my accounts. these are the same computers they are using for your accounts...

Clark...

Reply to
Clark...

Well, I also have had that same exact warning on my screen. IT'S A SCAM. I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that the warning and scanning of your computer by McAfee is all a scam just so you'll renew your subscription. I bought their subscription when I first bought my PC almost 1.5 years ago. When it ran out and I didn't renew their subscription I got daily virus warnings, "do you want to resubscribe" etc., etc., etc., etc., unending attempts to get me to subscribe again.

I got so sick of their warnings (which is exactly what they intended to do ) I re-subscribed for one year for $75.00. Just to get their daily warnings off my screen!!!!

So I go through all that, McAfee rescans my computer and notices that my firewall is no longer up to date. So I go to download the latest and what do you know??? The upgrade is no longer available, in order to get it, I have to spend another $67 to get this updated firewall. I didn't pay it. I got so sick I just left the computer.

What you saw in Home Depot was just a daily fake, scam, annoyance, by McAfee to get the user of that computer to spend money.

Did you notice that McAfee is one of the few things you CAN'T DELETE from Windows?

Reply to
smk17

If your computer is connected to the Internet it has spyware. If it doesn't, it will in less than 10 minutes (5 minutes if a teenager is using it). Spyware is not paticularly scary, nor are viruses--make sure you don't back up any files you don't care about and do a full scan before you backup.

Reply to
Phisherman

Google : Trojan keelogger, and then get back to us, Mr. Security Expert!

Reply to
salty

Many virii ARE quite scary. You can totally screw up a system in no time by opening the wrong e-mail attachment -

Spyware is less scary, but is one of the most common contributors to identity theft. And it slows your system down.

Reply to
clare

You can remove any of that nonsense. One way is to use The PC Decrapifier.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

what's scary about it? I could care less if HD's computers are infected. Also, i don't believe ANYTHING McAfee OR Norton say.

Steve Barker DLT

Reply to
Frank

Google 'chemtrails' or 'tin foil hat'. then don't bother getting back to us. just kill yourself.

Steve Barker DLT

you'd have to open the attachment. just opening an email can do no harm.

Steve Barker DLT

You can delete it but it is a PITA. I had it for a few months on new computer then subscribed to Comcast where it is free. When the old copy expired, I had problem you described as old did not realize there was new. Went on line with McAfee to find how to correct and had to delete everything and start from scratch.

I put free Avast on wife's computer as it is far less a memory hog than McAfee.

Reply to
Frank

Really? so a keylogger really isn't a problem?

Reply to
George

You are an unmitigated idiot.

Use your credit card at a checkout that has a key logger trojan and your credit card swipe gets transmitted .... Somewhere. So do all the passwords entered on the computer to access other areas of the merchant's network, and pin numbers entered on the card swip machine.

There is no such word in any language. The ENGLISH plural for virus is viruses.

Reply to
salty

re: Did you notice that McAfee is one of the few things you CAN'T DELETE from Windows?

Since you put that in all caps, I'm going to assume that you really believe that.

I'll avoid all the possible things I could say and just say this:

Go here:

or

DAGS remove mcafee

or

DAGS delete mcafee

or

DAGS uninstall mcafee

or...I could go on all day.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it can't or doesn't happen.

Reply to
George

just pay cash goddamit

Reply to
daszkiew2000

i pulled goddamn money from all my bank accounts about 6 months ago; keep it in a safe at home

Reply to
daszkiew2000