store""/> store""/>

Home Depot vs. "Real store"

Page 4 of 4

Ever hear of the new 2 fangled inventions called a CELLPHONE and the INTERNET....Idiots....All it takes is a couple of minutes to do your homework before you buy...Sometimes I wonder how some make it through the day by themselves...Tirewarehouse even supplies a phone with numbers to local competitors so you can check in a minute if it's the best price...Money might not be important to some but to some of us every buck counts , especially now....Maybe that's why stores like Walmart and Micky Ds are the only ones not crying for a bailout and MAKING MONEY....

In an earlier post you said:
"The Homedepots around here will MATCH any local competitior...I've done it a couple of times... "
A couple of times..impressive.
And how many times have you tried to price match only find that the HD model was not the exact same model as the local stores model - thus, no price match?
How often have you seen a single digit difference or an extra letter in a model number - even from a major manufacturer - making it a "different" item. InSinkErator comes to mind - Lowes vs. HD vs. the local hardware stores all carry different model numbers, even in the same HP ranges. I wonder how that happens.
Tires are easy - in many cases you'll find the same Goodyear/Firestone/ Michelin model at different tires stores. Try that with many of the things we buy from HD. Other than your "couple of times" price matching between stores is a pretty much a farce these days.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Agree on all of the above. Like my friend says they have you doing the "big box dance".
But you do have to watch out for those rotten mom & pop tire places... There are a couple of them in this area. One is right down the road so it is really convenient. You will spend more if you buy from an online store and have them mounted someplace (I checked).
And to prove how rotten they are their service stinks too. I went out one morning and had a flat. It was really cold so I pumped it up and it looked like it would allow me to drive over to the tire place so I did. I pulled in and he told me he was backed up and it would take 15 minutes to get me in. They removed the tire from the wheel and patched it properly from the inside and balanced and mounted it. He said "you are ready to go". I asked how much and he simply said "we sold you those tires so it is no charge". This was even though I had not purchased any additional insurance or coverage.

re "You will spend more if you buy from an online store and have them mounted someplace (I checked). "
I've checked too. It all depends on when and where. In some cases I've purchased tires from on-line stores and ended up with "4 for the price of 3" compared to the local tire stores, even after mounting and balancing. Was it a bit more inconvenient to have to load the tires into my van once they were delivered? Sure, but for over a $100 in savings, I didn't mind.
In other cases the local stores were having sales, so I bought cheaper locally.
It also depends on where you have them mounted. Take them to a national chain where selling tires is their business, and they may charge you more than the "mom and pop" used tire/used car parts scrap yard where I go. Mounting and balancing is mounting and balancing. I don't need a fancy showroom with a flat screen TV and gourmet coffee machine - where I'm paying extra for those creature comforts. I'd rather put my boots on and walk through a muddy junk yard if it saves me a third or more in the cost of the service. (Although I gotta admit, the 35 cent coffee from the beat up vending machine was brutal!)
One year I saved enough by buying a set of high-end snow tires on-line to purchase a set of used wheels from that same yard so I could leave my snows on the rims and change them myself. None of the "chain stores" could come close to the price I paid for the tires on-line or the rims and mounting from the local shop.
Ya gotta shop around - that's half the fun!
a while? ya maybe 12 years. Probably been that long since a TACO pump was $49.

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

It is a family owned plumbing supply house that has been around for probably 100 years which originally started as a mining equipment supplier and they do high volume. The other reason I like them is that they have a wide stock not just a small range like big box. I bought the hepex and fittings there when I did the underfloor radiant heat in the house. They also provide excellent warranty support. I had a hot water package boiler fail under warranty that was in a property I own. I called one of the brothers end of day and he said they could bring over a replacement first stop the next morning and he simply requested that I have the old one disconnected to save two trips. Ask yourself what big box gives that sort of service.
Along the same lines I put a deck on the house. I made a bill of materials and gave it to the local lumber yard and had it delivered sight unseen. Same neighbor who believes the big box marketing came over to examine the lumber and remarked "you must have been at "the depot" all day picking this out". I explained that I simply ordered it and didn't have to pick out anything. I know the son who does the buying and he said you can specify any quality you want when ordering lumber. They order better stuff. I also showed the receipt to him so he could see how much less I paid than "the depot".

a TACO for $49?? Somethings fishy there....

Not if you only need the cartridge. Check the $55 ones here http://www.pexsupply.com/categories.asp?cIDD2&brandid
Ahhhhhhh ... I C i wasn't aware they even came apart. I only have one, and haven't had any trouble with it yet.

I think the only time in recent memory that the "real" store didn't come through for me but HD did was the other day when I needed to make my own knockout hole in an old shop light... and I realized that my Unibit was in my desk drawer at work. None of the mom 'n' pops stocked Unibits, but the HD did (not a Unibit(R) but the Greenlee version thereof.) I paid through the nose for it though.
It was still worth the $36 not to have to stick my head in the office that day though :) It was a work day, but I was on "vacation" - yes, I was hanging lights in my laundry room while on my vacation... (weeps)
The downside to the mom 'n' pops is very limited hours. Need to pick up something on the way home from work? Saturday afternoon? Sunday? Off to That Orange Colored Store...
nate