Home Depot sucks

The $30 front-end fee and the reluctance to provide

All true but then the customer should be given what he paid for ..the measurements. I doubt any other dealer would order a door based on those measurements but would want to send out their own contractor. Used to do kitchen remodeling sales for a large retailer that advertised "free estimates". I could walk in and within $500 or so tell the customer what it was going to cost to remodel. What the customer wanted was a complete set of plans they could take to HD to order cabinets for self install. I told a customer once that it was going to be around $7000. She went into a tirade about how that was what they had paid for the house 40 years before and no way would they put that into a kichen remodel. I started to pick up my books and she stopped me and said "well, go ahead and draw up the plans anyway". Yeah right.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

"False advertisement" is an illegal trade practice, such as "bait and switch", not what you experienced. You don't sue people for it.

False advertisement is practiced by every car dealer in town. They advertise cars at a certain price that are not really for sale at that price. If you ask, they point to the "stock number" in the advertisement and say it is no longer available.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

The $30 measuring fee is deducted from the bill if you have the work performed.

Reply to
Stubby

2 more days to go!
Reply to
Anthona

If you read my original post below:

. I was told by the salesman that they would have to send a measurer to my home and there would be a $30 charge, which would be deducted to the price of the new door, if they do the installation.

Reply to
Anthona

Pretty simple, you get what you pay for. There is nothing magical about big box stores. They pay low wages but spend lots on spin telling you how qualified everyone is. HD charged you $30 so they probably paid $15 to the estimator. How professional and wonderful do you expect them to be for that price?

I was looking for a professional man or woman, who

Reply to
George

You will be waiting a long time and I don't understand why anyone would even expect that to happen.

Reply to
George

The regional warehouse is right down the road from my office but I can't remember the name. It is a pleasure to do business with the locally owned appliance stores who provide real service.

For example,I needed a refrigerator for an apartment I own. I called a local shop and did everything over the phone including arranging for a call 20 minutes before the truck was going to be at the apartment so I could go over and open the apartment.

Reply to
George

But I don't want to be expedited.

Reply to
Sam E

I can. Either one I'd be ok with, but both is stupid. If HD is going to charge up front $30 bucks to go and measure the door, why do they CARE if the customer then takes the measurement elsewhere? I'd be perfectly happy measuring people's doors at $30 a pop.

Reply to
Goedjn

Finding a local contractor isn't usually too hard. Finding one who will actually show the F up is occasionally a problem.

Reply to
Goedjn

Sue HD for false advertisemnet??? But...but...this is America...All and every advertisement are false...I don't even believe it is illegal... I see false advertisement everywhere on a daily basis...

Reply to
codythebest

"puffery" is legal in advertising and sales

Reply to
nowforsale

What about the common "give and take" language (where one part gives you something and the other part takes much of it back)? I seem to remember Home Depot doing that with "EVERYTHING 25% OFF!!!" and in small print "10% on power tools".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Sam E wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Resistance is futile.

We are Expeditor. You will be expedited. I must go regenerate.

Reply to
Al Bundy

That's why "Angie's List" is so successful.

Reply to
Craven Morehead

That is irrelevant. You are irrelevant. You will be expedited.

Reply to
George W

A large dealership around here was successfully sued by local DA for exactly that about 10 yrs ago.

Reply to
Sev

All your expeditor are us.

Reply to
Al Moran

Why didn't you just remove the door and bring it to HD. If you can remove the door you are also capable of putting in the new one. In any case there are only three items that can go wrong - the glass panel, the screen or the latch, all of which are easily DIY replaceable.

Reply to
PaPaPeng