Home Depot sucks

Page 1 of 3
Those ads that are on TV are a real joke...not that I expected otherwise..but someone should sue HD, for false advertisement. I recently went to my local HD to look for a storm door replacement. I was told by the salesman that they would have to send a measurer to my home and there would be a $30 charge, which would be deducted to the price of the new door, if they do the installation. I hesitated, but its either I agree and get it done or not. So I reluctantly agreed. Well, I was really taken aback when a couple arrived to do the measuring. They were a ma and pa pair. Judging by their accent, I think they were from Russia or one of those slavic country's...nothing wrong with that, per se. The problem? First, it was their accent...they spoke broken english...they were in an arrogant mode. After taking the measurments, I asked to see it or at least make a copy of it, and she said HD don't allow to show it. I demanded that I paid for it and i want to see it. She was just about to hand it over to me to look at it, and as I was to accept it, she withdrew quickly and cursed me in her native tongue and took off in her car. I yelled that I was going to tell HD..but that didn't phased them. I called HD and spoke to the expeditor and she said she would make a note of it and would call me in 3 days to let me know what the measurements are. Where the heck does HD get these people? I was looking for a professional man or woman, who could explain to me what and why they were making such measurements in an area, where I was told by one of their salesman on the phone, to just measure the door only I knew that was wrong, I have had previously installed jambs to accommodate the door i have now. I know its not the standard size..but I thought at least they were installed already and make a custom door to fit in. I wonder how cheaply HD is paying these people that are sent to measure only. ..maybe that was the reason of their arrogance.

You agreed and they showed up. How do you know they cursed you? I never knew HD had an "expeditor", that sounds important. -- Oren

I have yet to find anybody, in any store, anywhere, that is as capable as made out to be in TV commercials. Just once I'd like to though.
Cheri
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:15:09 -0700, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

I did not post the following.>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<
Something hosed-up in this reply...go to the hose department. -- Oren
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message wrote:

We as a society never will. The reason is we SAY we want quality, but what we REALLY want is low prices. You can't have both. As a businessman, I'll never forget a quote by an electronics (stereos) executive regarding the sound quality of his products. "I'd be very happy for consumers to desire products from Company A, but buy products from our company."
In other words, when a company has to choose between having a couple customers who are happy, and having a lot of customers who keep bitching but also keep giving them plenty of repeat business, it's a complete no brainer. The service from companies like Home Depot and Best Buy will always be crap. And that's the way we keep it.
Cheri wrote:

You will be waiting a long time and I don't understand why anyone would even expect that to happen.
Anthona wrote:

[snip story of measurement and disillusionment]...
What, specifically, was in an ad that was false? I see nothing in your story that implies any breach of promise could have been made. You asked for a measurement, they sent somebody out to measure. The rest was, undoubtedly, not necessarily the best in terms of customer relations, but where is it written (or even implied) that you are "owed" the measurements? All HD has agreed is to supply an installed door into the opening which, I'm sure, they would/will do assuming you don't stop them. The $30 front-end fee and the reluctance to provide data to a customer is to prevent the otherwise inevitable "drive-offs" that would otherwise be the result--they measure, the customer takes the measurements and goes somewhere else. Sad to say, I can't blame HD given the state of most customers these days.
As for going to HD in the first place for anything but a standard off-the-shelf run-of-the-mill item, enough said...you don't go to McDonald's for prime rib.

The $30 front-end fee and the reluctance to provide

All true but then the customer should be given what he paid for ..the measurements. I doubt any other dealer would order a door based on those measurements but would want to send out their own contractor. Used to do kitchen remodeling sales for a large retailer that advertised "free estimates". I could walk in and within $500 or so tell the customer what it was going to cost to remodel. What the customer wanted was a complete set of plans they could take to HD to order cabinets for self install. I told a customer once that it was going to be around $7000. She went into a tirade about how that was what they had paid for the house 40 years before and no way would they put that into a kichen remodel. I started to pick up my books and she stopped me and said "well, go ahead and draw up the plans anyway". Yeah right.
Tom G.

I can. Either one I'd be ok with, but both is stupid. If HD is going to charge up front $30 bucks to go and measure the door, why do they CARE if the customer then takes the measurement elsewhere? I'd be perfectly happy measuring people's doors at $30 a pop.
Anthona wrote:

HD don't give a rats ass about it. The product gets bought from them and they send out these half assed fuck ups to do the job. HD tacks on 20% for themselves.

This is par for the course for home cheapo. Only contractors that are desperate for one reason or another will work for them.
I hate Home Depot. They have a better selection and more professional people at Lowe's or my lcoal mom and pop Do-It Hardware store. And they don't run out of important items at Lowe's. They know how to reorder.
-
Home Depot dose that for a lot of things I brought a set of room measurements to the inch extremely detailed , door layouts beyond any blueprint. They said they have to come out and measure it for $50 dollars. They told me all carpet places charge that, Well home Depot and Lowes are the only two I've run into. My answer to them was if your to stupid to give me a price from my drawings. then your not capable of installing my carpet. Also the one time I ordered a door from HD it was all screwed up the jambs were all broken. I just made new jambs myself. I also at the same time ordered windows standard size, That was just a total nightmare, the manager would hide when he saw me. HD is the kind of store that if it's on the shelf and you know what you want you might be OK. I'll never order anything from them again. Also their wood is really high priced and crap. Here's my advice, why should you pay for someone trying to sell you something. A lesson learned

Why anyone goes there for installed items is beyond me. Is it so difficult to open the yellow pages (a phone book with yellow paper in it) and find a locally owned contractor?

When I was Contracting I never charged to look at a job and give them a quote. The big box stores prices really aren't that good to justify charging to measure. There a ton of Mom And Pop carpet and flooring stores, the one thing they do have is real service.

Appliance stores, too. There's a huge buying consortium whose name I forget, but it allows locally owned appliance stores to easily compete with HD, Lowe's etc. And, you get actual service.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

The regional warehouse is right down the road from my office but I can't remember the name. It is a pleasure to do business with the locally owned appliance stores who provide real service.
For example,I needed a refrigerator for an apartment I own. I called a local shop and did everything over the phone including arranging for a call 20 minutes before the truck was going to be at the apartment so I could go over and open the apartment.
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 01:54:05 GMT, "Sacramento Dave"

Finding a local contractor isn't usually too hard. Finding one who will actually show the F up is occasionally a problem.
That's why "Angie's List" is so successful.

did the expeditor call you back in 3 days with the measurements?