Home Depot Store Security

Page 1 of 4
My wife and I are both auditors ans we agree all you need to do to clean out a Home Depot store is to bring a large enough truck.
Today I went in there to purchase a lockset for my new front door. I swiped it on the self-checkout, stuck it in my basket, swiped my credit card in the machine, and started for the door. Who stopped me? My wife did. She pointed out that I needed to put the lockset in the bag and proceed from there.
Well it turned out this lockset had a security device that needed to be neutralized, and, of course, it did not get neutralized and an alarm went off as I left the store. Who stopped me? NOBODY!
I wish Home Depot ran a liquor store!
snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

I've had those things go off at Walgreens, Wal-Mart, etc...
I just keep on walking, I don't slow down or even look behind me.
I paid for the items, and I'm sure not going to react to a alarm that they failed to operate correctly.
Never once has anyone tried to stop me or even say anything.
--
You'll be Ok, Enjoy. Life is nothing more than a bunch of mini
vacations all rolled into one. - Old Gringo

Sometimes that security device is on the outside. I've already peeled it off my package and stuck it on the bottom of the cart. Probably drove someone nuts at least once.
On 11/30/2010 5:53 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You are an evil, evil man. :^)
--
aem sends...

I stuck one to buddy's shirt one time. It freaked him out, he turned around all guiltily looking and shit!
--
You'll be Ok, Enjoy. Life is nothing more than a bunch of mini
vacations all rolled into one. - Old Gringo
On 11/30/2010 4:53 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've had those tags stuck to my shoe before and it would set off the alarms when I walked in the door.
TDD
On 11/30/2010 5:53 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

LOL! I like that!
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 05:53:53 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

Stick it on the door, the alarm will keep blasting forever until someone finally finds it.
On 11/30/2010 1:19 AM, G. Morgan wrote:

A few years back one of the local big box "associates" stopped and detained someone with a receipt in their hand for the items they purchased after they had set off an alarm because of a tag. It cost them some bucks to settle the lawsuit. If you operate a store on the cheap trying to copy walmart then it is your problem when stuff like this happens not the problem of someone who paid for the merchandise.

Yup. If they attempt or manage to detain you and you've stolen nothing they have a big problem on their hands. It could even escalate to criminal kidnapping, or unlawful arrest.
You would think all the loss prevention employees would know the rules inside and out, but I read about incidents all the time where they overstep their bounds.
--
You'll be Ok, Enjoy. Life is nothing more than a bunch of mini
vacations all rolled into one. - Old Gringo

I once worked at a big box store. We were told NOT to detain anyone under any circumstances. Loss prevention employees were the only ones authorized to initiate detaining anyone, and that was only based upon one criteria. They had to have constant video surveilance, on tape, of the person walking from their car into the store without packages, video of them throughout the store without gaps in the video, and video of them exiting without going thru a checkout point. Any of that video missing and they had to let them leave unchallenged. Yeah, they missed a lot of thefts, but they were damned good at profileing the semi- pros.
The biggest scam though was stealing from one store, going to a nearby similar store's customer service with the stolen item and asking for a refund claiming a lost receipt.

I once worked at a big box store. We were told NOT to detain anyone under any circumstances. Loss prevention employees were the only ones authorized to initiate detaining anyone, and that was only based upon one criteria. They had to have constant video surveilance, on tape, of the person walking from their car into the store without packages, video of them throughout the store without gaps in the video, and video of them exiting without going thru a checkout point. Any of that video missing and they had to let them leave unchallenged. Yeah, they missed a lot of thefts, but they were damned good at profileing the semi- pros.
The biggest scam though was stealing from one store, going to a nearby similar store's customer service with the stolen item and asking for a refund claiming a lost receipt.
====================================================================== Wal-Mart needs to implement a training program for employees. Have you read about the 100 yr old "Greeter" trying to play security cop? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1334450/Woman-arrested-assaulting-100-year-old-Wal-Mart-greeter.html?ito eds-newsxml
G. Morgan wrote:
[snip]

I call the things "customer annoyance devices", since that seems to be their main function.
--
25 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).
harry wrote:

We have them here too. They're call Mozart.
On 11/30/2010 1:19 AM, G. Morgan wrote:

I bought a pair of shoes that hadn't had the tag deactivated. Every store I went into set off the alarm. Coming and going. I never got more than a cursury glance and usually not even that!
Jeff
On Nov 29, 9:11pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

Its not the security thats the deterrent but the potential punishment. Chances are if someone is stealing from someplace like Home Depot they probably have an arrest record and here in California if you get arrested three times you go to jail for twenty-five years to life.

Winning reply.
On Nov 30, 7:59am, "Stormin Mormon"

I'm a country boy but I've been in Detroit and Chicago several times. Of the two, I feel much safer in Detroit.
-C-
On 11/30/2010 10:54 AM, Country wrote:

Well, since broad swaths of Detroit are basically abandoned, if you consider the city as a whole, your odds of being targeted by the local wildlife do skew in your favor. Go into the wrong neighborhood, though, and you may as well lay on the ground with your neck extended.
--
aem sends...

.
Are you thinking about Gary, Indiana. It's almost a part of Chicago it's so close. Another big industrial town gone to pot.
-C-