Home Depot's Inventory Control Problem

Page 6 of 7
On 18 Aug 2006 09:03:25 -0700, "dpb" wrote:

Former Georgia Congressman and former civil-rights activist Andrew Young, I just heard on the radio, resigned today from a pro-Walmart organization, after he was criticized for remarks he had made.
I have the story very close to accurate: He was asked if it was a problem that Walmart drove small businesses out of business.
He said, No, because they are owned by Jews, Koreans, and Arabs and they charge too much anyhow.
When I heard the start of the story (on NPR iirc) I didn't expect him to have said anything this flamboyant or flaming. I guess Andy only cares about non-discrimination when he's the one being non-discriminated against. And he's so off the wall anyhow. Maybe where he lives, but I'm sure the majority, probably the vast majority of stores in the US put out of business weren't owned by Jews, Koreans, or Arabs. I wonder if he got this line from meetings with Wal-mart or he thought of it himself.

You have a link to that story?
HeatMan wrote:

Here is the CNN version:
http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/18/news/newsmakers/bc.retail.walmart.young.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes
Pete C.

alternative
on
the
http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/18/news/newsmakers/bc.retail.walmart.young.reut /index.htm?cnn=yes
I saw it in the local fish wrapper. Thanks.
HeatMan wrote:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id 0008817
Scroll down to "First it was the Jews..."
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:27:20 -0400, "HeatMan"

No. I heard it on the radio, and the radio paraphrased it or I got it wrong. Because I wasn't certain, that's why I didn't put what I had in quotes,
But I don't think the sense was different from what he actually said.
I was also wrong about his being a Congressman, it seems. Ambassador to the UN and mayor of Atlanta.

I do know of such a product: Light bulbs of the higher sales volume types! 40, 60, 75 and 100 watt "A-line", and 4-foot fluorescents! Ones of major brands are still largely made in USA or Canada!
Don Klipstein wrote:

And there's a telling comment -- "_a_ product:".
Gonna throw something in.

of
much
away
You most likely won't find *real* pros in any department at HD or Lowes. A good tradesman can make $18-$24 per hour (or more) in their respective trade, maybe half of that at the box stores.

prefer
HD was great when Bernie and Arthur ran it. Now that Nardelli, the General Electric reject, runs it, the stores have turned to squat.
HeatMan wrote:

You used to find real pros at HD, typically evenings and weekends when they had time to kill to make some extra money.
Pete C.

I have noticed this over the past couple of years.
And discontnuing items for a higher priced line. Example comes to mind. Went to get a plastic toilet supply line. Empty. Knowledgable employee I know nearby. Says they were discontinued and they will only have the metal braded from now on.
And please, don't someone say how much better they are. They may be but the betterness will never get used. Never had a plastic one explode on me yet!

You obviously need a pressure booster.

Funny you should mention that.
I went to HD for copper sweat on fittings. They had contractor packs for let's say, $2.50 for ten fittings. I bought all they had. When I got to the cashier, she could not ring up the loose ones because they did not have individual SKUs on them.
Call the manager.
Stand around.
Line behind me gets longer.
Repeat the last three steps about three times.
Meanwhile, I say, "Look. $2.50 divided by ten equals a quarter apiece. Charge me that."
"Oh, I can't do that. I'll lose my job," was the response from the oblivious nineteen year old clerk.
Finally, after about ten minutes, I walked out, leaving about $300 worth of merchandise sitting there.
Steve

have
of
Been there, done that.
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 21:33:25 -0700, "Steve B"

I walked out leaving a purchase ticket for a $3600 outdoor shed laying on the counter because 3.... Three.... THREE!.... McIdiots at the register could not figure out how to do the transaction and the manager would not answer his/her page. Two months later they burned me on the last of three fraudulent rebates and I have never darkened their sorry door again.
I do Lowe's because our local store employees knowledgeable people in each department and they have cashiers that have brain power above that of plant life. Actually our local Lowe's cashiers know how to find items in a book at each register when that item does not have a scan bar on it or if it comes out of a broken box.
Top marks to Lowe's and I wouldn't piss on Home Depot if it were on fire.
Regards,

Ayup. I like to do the meanest nastiest thing I can do to them. Take my money elsewhere. I usually like to give a parting shot to the manager, but I think I hear the WHOOSH of a projectile passing over an empty air space.
Steve

Talked to a gent at HD yesterday, an employee. He and his wife were out on a camping trip and came home to water flowing out the garage of their ranch with a full basement house. The plastic sink (as opposed to toilet) supply line broke.

Bet it came from WalMart :-) Or maybe he forgot to mention it was a modified straw!

Worked the retail floor for 25 years. We referred to it as the "bean counters" in the head office controlling the stores, If their computer told them that a certain profit or sales volume wasn't met on a certain item, they no longer allowed the stores to sell it. Sears, a few years ago dropped bicycles from their lineup because as the "bean counters" said, it accounted for only about 1% of their business and wasn't worth the bother. Now, a lot of companies would have killed for a product that accounted for 1% of a 40 billion dollar business. The following Christmas, I can only imagine where people finished up their shopping after coming into the store and were told they couldn't buy the kids Christmas bike, there. I'm seeing the same situation at WalMart right now. I've been restoring an old pontoon boat and I went in to buy a pedestal stand for a seat. Always saw them there before, along with the paddles, trolling motors, etc. None of that was there anymore. The "associate" said that the department had been "downsized". When they stopped selling guns, they said that it was because they didn't sell enough to justify the carrying of them. Sounds like the "bean counters" talking again. I guess, I'll just do my shopping at Gander Mountain from now on. The price difference isn't worth the extra gas spent in driving to WalMart.
Tom G.
Just my 2 cents here about why I hate lowes MORE than HD.
When in Lowes here in NY I cannot find ANYONE to assist. They call, page and get nothing. Thats bull.
The people who they have working at my local one are locals that dont know ANYTHING about their departments. (I found this out on the rare occasion I found someone in the first place)
The local HD are not much better, but at least they can direct you in the right direction on where to find stuff. I wouldnt never rely on the HD guys opinion on a project. I rather get second and third opinions from people in the newgroups. :)