Home Depot's Inventory Control Problem

Page 3 of 7
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Two reasons: 1) The company is not willing to pay more, and 2) The employee is willing to work for what's offered.
Often the difference is not between $5.70 an hour and ten dollars per hour. The difference is between $5.70 an hour and nothing. In your examples (ditch digger and garbage collector), think back-hoe and automated trash trucks.

In India, for the non-degreed unemployed, all is not hopeless. There's still black-market organ donation.

No, its a lot better there now. They are all now phone tech's for Gateway, Dell, HP and all the other Sales and Marketing firms that make you think they are computer manufacturers.
Regards,
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:23:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

And you might end up with an "educated idiot"; a BS degree in Criminal Justice", having never seen a criminal (education does not equal common sense). Ten percent at the bottom of the class...attorneys. doctors, you ...know..
Oren
Oren wrote:

Graffiti in college toilet: "If you're a History Major, this is the only job you'll ever have."
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:23:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Actually. I know a whole lot of non-college people in the "trades" that are charging, and getting in the neighborhood of $35/hour. The best I have heard of lately in our area is a commercial plumber that gets $65/hr. I got my college education after getting out of the service in the early 70's but never used it because there was no way I could make the money I was already making in the Tile trade.
Now please don't get me wrong.... I am not advocating not getting a college education. The merits of a college education are that some college graduates can make as much money as a well paid tradesman without having to physically bust their ass.
Back to the discussion at hand...... One can choose to work a McJob for some slave driving bunch of trash in a dept store or flip burgers at the Rot&Gut or they can learn a trade. But after seeing this brain dead kid at McDonalds trying to make change and failing miserably today, that might be a tall order to fill (Learning a trade). However, for those that posses brain power somewhere above plant life, a well paying trade is an option and alternative to college.
Regards,

Are you implying tha Walmart would pay more to those employees if they had a degree?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net () wrote:

???
Of course not. The point is that if they had a college education (or had learned a trade), they wouldn't need to be working at Wal-Mart.
--
Regards,
Perhaps you have not thought this through. Many of the employees of these retail giants come from former high paying jobs but because of accident, injury, illness, they can no longer perform their previous duties.

There used to be a time when most Americans without college education got to join the middle class!
Doug Miller wrote:

the mid-sixties. Sure, there are the scary-smart kids at the top of the bell curve when they are 18, but they are far-outnumbered by the extended-adolesence brain-dead, testosterone-poisoned if male, makeup poisoned if female, masses. Aside from the decreased level of practical knowledge and life experience most 18 YO seem to have today (even the smart ones), the decreased need for Strong Backs due to technology, and the increased number of availble bodies due to the demographic bulges and shadow bulges in the snake, means employers can be a lot pickier than the factory foreman used to be. My employers, the feds, are in terror. Average age of the geeks is 49, and most will be able to retire in next 5-7 years. With the half-done dismantling of civil service job security, and the sky-high salaries the smart kids can get in real world, recruitment is a problem. And this is in jobs where you are unlikely to get shot at. The military is gonna be between a rock and a hard place if they run out of older Guard and Reserve guys, who seem much less eager to re-up after the 2nd or 3rd tour in the sandbox.
aem sends...
In article <lY5Gg.660689$Fs1.456687@bgtnsc05-

AEM, whitespace is nice.
BTW, how do we continue to pay the government employee, making *twice* what the civvies make?
--
Keith

Most scientists and engineers in government service are making significantly *less* than their counterparts in the private sector. The disparity is even greater for managers.
--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says...

You certainly have not taken into account their benefits. *I* certainly don't get their health and retirement benefits, though will be paying for them until I die, and after, if the Democrats have their way.
http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/PaulJacob/2006/08/20/the_great_w age_gap
--
Keith

Regards,

make anywhere near twice as much as their civilian counterparts (as you claimed).

about the fifth paragraph:
"Average compensation for federal civilian workers last year came to $106,579 which Chris Edwards of the Cato Institute notes is "exactly twice the average compensation paid in the U.S. private sector." Throw out the benefits and the difference is less, but still a whopping 62 percent more for the federal worker."
Even if the figures are correct, the comparison is at best meaningless, because it's comparing the average of *all* government employment to the average of *all* non-government employment. This is an apples-and-oranges comparison, because it's not comparing similar jobs.
The lowest wages in the private sector are found in retail stores and restaurants. Q: how many retail stores and restaurants does the Federal government operate? A: zero.
The Federal workforce also contains disproportionate numbers of scientists, engineers, and managers -- all of which pay more than average.
When you compare _similar_jobs_ between the Federal civil service and the private sector, you find that wages are almost always higher -- and not by just a little bit, either -- in the private sector. That's why the Federal government has a hard time retaining its top people: business hires them away. You just don't hear about businesses losing their top people to the Federal government because the pay is better. It just doesn't happen.
--
Regards,
Yes we at retail are under paid and you as consumers have the right to good service but as long as you look for free returns and lowest price then you will put up with what you have remember that. Also the next time you open a box to see if all the parts are in it then take the one behind it, leave parts all over the counter cause you couldn,t fiqure it out and didn,t want to ask. Bring back the drill that was to small to begin with but was 25.00 instead of 75.00 to do the drywall in your basement then get huffy when you get a hassle to bring it back. Claiming it didn,t do the job but the drywalls up, QUESSE WHO PAYS YOU DO THERES LESS PROFIT TO PAY STAFF!!. I could tell you a hundred stories but won,t change it cause you consumers think your always right, you should hear what we think. Doug Miller wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

The DoD operates an extensive network of retail stores and restaurants, and even resorts.

You cannot really compare the job of a manager, for example, without consideration of such intangibles as likelihood of job loss. A government manager who fails to perform is in virtually no danger of losing his job, and may even be promoted; a civilian manager who fails to perform is very often let go.
The result is that untalented people are overpaid by the government (which is why it attracts so many of that ilk), while talented people are underpaid (and thus tend not to seek or retain government positions). There are certainly exceptions, such as those who take a government position out of idealism or a desire to serve their country, but they are pretty rare. Most cabinet officers, for example, take a severe pay cut during their government service; how much of that is offset by the power and publicity of their position is a good question. Federal attorneys and judges, for example, earn far less than they could as private attorneys, and many of them leave when it is time to put their kids through college.

trying to say. We can't come close to matching what private-sector pays qualified entry-level sysadmins and techies. One of many reasons Govt has outsourced most of those jobs. Not cheaper for the taxpayers, but you can get money for a service contract easier than you can get money for a warm body.
aem sends...
In article <Iy8Gg.661554$Fs1.374052@bgtnsc05-

No, he is not.

Do the numbers. The private sector can't afford the medical nor retirement benefits the public sector gets. If a corporation ran the same sort of books the government did, the CEO would be sleeping in the same bunk as Ken Lay.
BTW, did you read the article I linked?
--
Keith

That simply isn't true.

No argument there -- but that's a separate issue from salaries.

comparing apples and oranges.
--
Regards,