Home Depot return policy w/out receipt

Page 1 of 3
Anyone know what HD's return policy is if you do not have a receipt? I know they take your drivers license number but is there a cap as to how much stuff ($) you can return without a receipt before they disallow it? I know Walmart puts you on a 'black' list and after a while (not sure how you define 'a while') they disallow you returning items.
Anyway, I purchased a small $ item last year ($13.96 door closer) and didn't need it. I looked far and wide for the receipt and couldn't locate it so I took the item back to HD and got a gift card (which is ok because I'm always in their store). Wouldn't you know it the next day I was cleaning off my desk and came across the receipt! Of course the receipt was 9 months old(!) and the receipt states they would take the receipt items back for 90 days so it is doubtful if I could have used the receipt to return the item. Too bad I can't go back (or call HQ) and give them the receipt and have them take me off their 'list'.
Walter
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 19:17:53 -0500, "Walter Cohen"
They don't like leeches, after a year! But, I cannot attest to that.
Oren

You are having a major conundrum over $13.95???!!!
Use the gift card and next time put your receipt in a safe place....
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 19:17:53 -0500, "Walter Cohen"

90 days is very generous, I'd expect a 30-day return policy. Anyone stretching that to 9 months deserves to be on a list!

It has become common practice among retailers to give in-store credit when an item they sell is returned in SALE-ABLE condition with no receipt.

I expect there is NOT an official dollar limit. Particularly high-dollar returns, especially those without a receipt, will require the approval of the store manager or assistant manager.

How do you KNOW this? I worked for a couple years at our local Wal-Mart and was never informed of such a policy.
I suppose that if the same person repeatedly brings back stuff for store credit they will take serious notice. The only person "blacklisted" that I know of is a convicted shoplifter. They are not allowed into the store.

This is exactly what I plan to do if/when I clean-out my garage. I have perhaps a couple dozen small parts (plumbing & electrical) that were never used and should be cheerfully accepted (for store credit) by my local Lowes without receipt.

And what did you learn from this exercise? NEVER clean-off your desk!

Don't worry about it. Unless you have made a habit of returning items with no receipt (for store credit), you are probably NOT on an actual "list" at all. Even if you return something or other a couple times in the coming year, I doubt they'll even raise an eyebrow.
It's the creeps that (somehow) steal a high-dollar item (i.e. rechargeable drill system) and attempt to return it for CA$H that is the biggest thing they watch for. Honest guys like you don't give them a moment's pause.
--
:)
JR

No project too small
Walter Cohen wrote:

You sound pretty paranoid. I've returned tons of things with and without a receipt to HD and they don't care. I buy a lot of product there and having a generous return policy is just good business. I don't take advantage of it - I don't buy use and return parts/tools like they're a rental company (that dept is at the far end of the store), but if I don't end up using a bunch of pex or copper fittings, electrical boxes, etc. for a project - they'll gladly take it back and sell it to someone else.

I have noticed sometimes without a receipt the refund can be considerably less than I paid. When this happens I just tell them I'll return in a day or two with the receipt.
Pat wrote:

They can only credit you the amount the product currently sells for - they don't know when you bought it and how much you paid for it without the receipt.

Usually w/o receipt, they'll likely credit you not (Necessarily) the current price, but the LOWEST price it has sold for. Because of the reason you gave above.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Makes (business) sense...
All people are looking for here is a simple answer, not a whole bunch of cr iticism and shit talking about how you will be put on a black list and how so and so sounds paranoid or how cool you are because you return copper fi ttings all the time and don't care, blah blah blah....A simple answer would be just fine with out all the other bull shit.
That happens if the item goes on sale. Without the receipt your item will be taken at the most current price available so it it wise to take a receipt with you for a rerun to ensure you get the full dollar amount of what you paid.

I just checked through their web site and you are indeed on the list. If, in the next 12 months, you attempt to return something else the police will be called to check you out first. Oh, one more thing, you should have wiped your fingerprints off it.
its people like you who give the internet a bad name.
what does it do for your kind to spread ridiculous misinformation which you know is a load of horse shit? you know damn well you didnt read any such information about the police being called to "check you out"! on the hd website for petes sake!
grow the hell up and get a life, or go out and get laid instead of spreading retarded senseless lies!
How do you check their list? I any yo see if my bfs uncle is on there lol
I always use my credit card for purchases at the HD. No sales slip is needed when I return stuff for whatever reason. They keep track of each item purchased by credit card number and just credit it back to your card. No need to keep or look for sales slips. Date is never a problem.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Why ask here? Why not ask at Home Depot?

I don't think they have a "list", or I'd be on there. I have returned a BUNCH of stuff in the last year. However, I've also spent at least $5k at Home Depot in the last year. It was almost all on credit card, so they would have a customer file on me, and not on someone who had spent as much in cash.
I think they are pretty lenient figuring you'll spend the gift card or lose it like you did the receipt, and they'll be that much more ahead. I know when I return stuff, I'm usually on a mission to get more stuff, and use up the gift card plus additional $$$.
I know WalMart and others are cracking down on serial intentional return people. Buy it, wear it once, and return it. I don't think articles of clothing should be returnable at all unless defective. With hardware, if it 's in the original packaging, or saleable, it's just good business for them to take the items. It's different than other more personal items.
Steve
If you don't have a receipt, you ain't getting cash back. period. Store credit up to 90 days Mgr's have some discretion after that.
And yes, they DO keep a black list of habitual returners. It has gotten to be a VERY expensive burden. Too many guys buying extension ladders on Friday and returning them on Monday covered with paint.
Recent HD employee