Home Depot return policy

Page 1 of 2
I'm guessing someone on this list knows. I returned a water heater, today. Purchased Jan 26, 2004. Six year warranty.
The returns desk refunded me my original $198 or whatever it was (including the tax). Gave me a store credit "gift" card. And sent me to go buy another water heater. Which was $388. So, it cost me about $190 to replace a WH that was in warranty.
I thought they would say "sorry, sir" and send me home with a new WH, at no charge. They blamed GE / Hotpoint for that policy.
Does anyone know?
Oh, it's nice to have hot water, again. And yes, I did install a shutoff.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Depending on what the warranty said, you might have been able to get your money back rather than accept a gift card. That being said, it crapped out during the warranty period so they "refunded" you what you paid. What's your beef?
I expected them to replace the WH at no charge to me. That's my beef.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Thu, 28 May 2009 19:49:14 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Is this meant to be a joke?

Only if the advertized claim of 6 years warranty was a joke.
On May 29, 9:41am, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

Just 'cuz it says "warranty" doesn't mean "free replacement." You gotta read the fine print.
It was probably a "refund" warranty. The words "original purchase price" were on the warranty card somewhere.
I expect the girls to fawn all over me when I walk in a bar. Hasn't happened yet, and I'm pissed too.

Warranty: : "a usually written guarantee of the integrity of a product and of the maker's responsibility for the repair or replacement of defective parts"
Now, yes, I am aware that lawyers have been nibbling away at bits of this for quite a while through ever more complex fine print. But there reaches a point where the implied promise becomes a joke. And, at that point, sellers should not be describing their worthless bit of drivel as a "warranty". Let them invent some new marketing speak to describe the thing -- "non-binding customer assurance certificate" sounds pretty darn good to me ;-)
No, it was serious. It was within warranty.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I'd expect one of two things to happen. A new unit, or my money back. Replacement price aside, you did get six years of use of a water heater for free. Since you went back to HD, you took what they offered but I wonder if you went directly to the manufacturer if things would be different.
On Thu, 28 May 2009 19:49:14 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

    That would be nice, but it appears they are replacing what was defective and if you read most any warranty, that is the best you can hope for.
On May 29, 12:28pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I have to say something. After reading all these helpful responses, I hope that the next time I have a failed item that it fails in the warranty period and the store is so happy and cooperative to just give my money back, After 5 years there probably is no direct replacement. I think you should take the store manager out for a nice steak dinner.
On Thu, 28 May 2009 18:53:25 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

The old heater was probably "Old Design," while the new one is "New Design," which costs a lot more. <http://www.prlog.org/10213896-bw-plumbing-and-heating-water-heater-warranties-simplified.html

Just for the record, the last sentence here is, I'm certain, wrong: "If the tank leaks or fails with any Old Design gas water heater and it still has a tank warranty, then the homeowner can replace the the water heater replaced under warranty. The homeowner will have to pay for installation and an upgrade charge for the New Design water heater. The good new in this scenario is that with the upgrade charge, the the water heaters warranty will extend another six (6) years."
He doens't mean *another* 6 years. He means 6 years from the time of installation, which is definitely less than 6 years from the first installation or it woudln't be covered by the guarantee at all, maybe as little as one month afterwards. So it's not 6 years and another 6 years but 6 years and whatever it gets extended to.

Understand you had to uninstall and install new one prematurely which stinks. Look at the bright side and take into consideration:
    You got 5 years of use for no charge.     At least it wasn't pro rated.     It didn't fail just after warranty was up.
Was the replacement a truly equivalent heater which cost 190 more?
Was it a GE/Hotpoint? <careful, I'm settin' you up here!>.
On Thu, 28 May 2009 18:53:25 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Don't think while in HD?!!
On 5/28/2009 3:53 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

No, but I could be like that other guy here--you know, the one who tells everyone to just Google it--and tell you to look on their web site, which has some information about returns:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=Return_Policy&langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
But I wouldn't do that.
Interesting that they don't say anything about returns made more than 90 days after purchase, even though you obviously did just that.
Here's the info from that page:
======================================================================= Our Store Return Policy Basics
Returns within 90 days of purchase and with a valid sales receipt will be exchanged, refunded in cash, credited to your account or refunded via The Home Depot store credit.
Return and Product Exceptions      - Purchases made with store credit, gift certificates and gift cards will be refunded as store credit. Store credits cannot be used to purchase gift cards. - Gasoline-powered equipment may be returned within 30 days of purchase with a valid sales receipt. After 30 days, item may be sent out for repair at the customers expense, unless covered under warranty.
Sorry, Returns Not Available on the Following Products:
-Custom made products and custom tinted paint -Gift cards, gift certificates and store credits -Utility trailers
-Special Order returns are subject to 15% restocking fee. Cancellations may be subject to 15% restocking fee**
-Cash and cash equivalent purchases, exceeding $1,000, may be refunded as mail check. Checks are mailed from The Home Depots Store Support Center in Atlanta, GA
-Receipts for purchases made with credit, debit or check within the last 90 days may be located in our system. Ask about receipt look up
-The Home Depot reserves the right to limit or refuse to accept the return of merchandise at any time and for any reason
-Purchases made at homedepot.com or other The Home Depot Companies may not be returned at a The Home Depot store, unless the item is stocked or sold in the returning store.
-Items purchased at The Home Depot US, The Home Depot Canada or The Home Depot Mexico may not be returned across borders
-Returns of merchandise after 90 days in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and after 120 days in Rhode Island from the date of original purchase with a receipt: Sales tax will NOT be refunded. Customers will be issued credit for the purchase price of the item(s) only. NOTE: Even exchanges of merchandise are not affected by this rule.
-Customer Agreement purchases must be returned to the same store location where originally purchased
**See Special Services Desk at your local store for details.

This wasn't a "return". It was a warranty claim.
Gemerally speaking it's a warranty offered by the manufacturer (not the retailer).
And they normally promise repair or replacement (at their discretion).
You should check the original documentation and/or contact the manufacturer. You may be entitled to a better deal.
On 5/28/2009 5:20 PM Malcolm Hoar spake thus:

Doh! Why didn't I think of that? Of course it is.

I didn't think of it, either.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus